KY Senate Race 2014: Getting lucky in Kentucky
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:25:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  KY Senate Race 2014: Getting lucky in Kentucky
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19
Author Topic: KY Senate Race 2014: Getting lucky in Kentucky  (Read 57752 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: March 10, 2014, 03:59:26 AM »

Bevin will inevitably be using this line to rile up support/fundraising:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #226 on: March 10, 2014, 11:34:31 AM »

Mcconnell is so confident.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #227 on: March 10, 2014, 06:12:05 PM »

Mcconnell is so confident.

He's probably right, though, at least in the seriously contested states.  And even though that might hurt Democrats this November, it's definitely good for the country.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #228 on: March 12, 2014, 08:23:32 PM »

McConnell tries to link Grimes to the climate change all-nighter.
Joshgreen
« Reply #229 on: March 13, 2014, 12:51:24 AM »

It's soo funny to see how desperate McConnell is...it's going to be delicious seeing him go down in flames.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #230 on: March 13, 2014, 09:36:33 AM »

Cohn wrote in NYT that McConnell is much less vulnerable than he appears. He wrote a similar article last year in TNR, IIRC.
Joshgreen
« Reply #231 on: March 13, 2014, 10:15:51 AM »

Cohn wrote in NYT that McConnell is much less vulnerable than he appears. He wrote a similar article last year in TNR, IIRC.

Ask Nate Silver how his "state fundamentals" worked out for him in predicting Rick Berg's triumph in ND.

Any senator with an approval rating in the mid-30s is in a world of trouble...
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #232 on: March 13, 2014, 10:25:25 AM »

Berg was a poor candidate. McConnell is not, and Bevin supporters - who make up a significant chunk of McConnell's disapproval - will not vote for Grimes in November. That said, I think we'll have to disagree here.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #233 on: March 13, 2014, 11:11:31 AM »

Berg was maybe a poor candidate, but he wasn't hated, like Mcconnell is.

However, Mcconnell is definitely what we can say a political killer, and I believe like you ALG will be nuked.
Joshgreen
« Reply #234 on: March 13, 2014, 04:16:56 PM »

Berg was a poor candidate. McConnell is not, and Bevin supporters - who make up a significant chunk of McConnell's disapproval - will not vote for Grimes in November. That said, I think we'll have to disagree here.

Fair enough...

However, Mcconnell is definitely what we can say a political killer, and I believe like you ALG will be nuked.

I disagree. The more he goes negative, the more his own negatives go. ALG has real Teflon potential IMHO. She's no Dan Mongiardo.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #235 on: March 14, 2014, 06:24:32 PM »

I disagree. The more he goes negative, the more his own negatives go. ALG has real Teflon potential IMHO. She's no Dan Mongiardo.
McConnell's approval sits at 27% and there's no way he can do much worse than that. A lot of Republicans who are angered with McConnell and who will vote for Bevin will just end up biting their tongue as usual and vote for McConnell over Grimes. The ceiling for Grimes is the mid-40s and I mean she will really have to convince those undecided moderate voters that McConnell isn't in line with the values of Kentucky anymore and need new officials. Defeating a Senate Minority Leader is by no means easy and Thune, a Republican, barely did it against Daschle in a Republican friendly state like South Dakota. The last time a Republican incumbent Senator lost their seat to a Democrat in a state that went to the Republican two years prior in the Presidential was Faircloth falling to Edwards in 1998, so unless Bevin pulls an upset on McConnell, I don't see Grimes winning this thing.

In less serious news, here's a very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very creepy ad by Team Mitch McConnell's official YT page. I think this gives McConnell's Harlem Shake and "What Rhymes with ALG?" ads a run for their money on worst and creepiest ads so far. Tongue  To give him credit though, his "Care" ad wasn't all that bad, actually.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #236 on: March 14, 2014, 07:58:41 PM »

I love the part when a staffer hands Mitch a folder, Mitch puts it down and goes back to whatever he was doing before the pointless folder arrived.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #237 on: March 14, 2014, 08:11:44 PM »

McConnell smiles like Odo.
International Brotherhood of Bernard
interstate73

« Reply #238 on: March 14, 2014, 08:19:39 PM »

#mcconnelling
Joshgreen
« Reply #239 on: March 14, 2014, 08:24:38 PM »

McConnell's approval sits at 27% and there's no way he can do much worse than that. A lot of Republicans who are angered with McConnell and who will vote for Bevin will just end up biting their tongue as usual and vote for McConnell over Grimes. The ceiling for Grimes is the mid-40s and I mean she will really have to convince those undecided moderate voters that McConnell isn't in line with the values of Kentucky anymore and need new officials. Defeating a Senate Minority Leader is by no means easy and Thune, a Republican, barely did it against Daschle in a Republican friendly state like South Dakota. The last time a Republican incumbent Senator lost their seat to a Democrat in a state that went to the Republican two years prior in the Presidential was Faircloth falling to Edwards in 1998, so unless Bevin pulls an upset on McConnell, I don't see Grimes winning this thing.

In less serious news, here's a very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very creepy ad by Team Mitch McConnell's official YT page. I think this gives McConnell's Harlem Shake and "What Rhymes with ALG?" ads a run for their money on worst and creepiest ads so far. Tongue  To give him credit though, his "Care" ad wasn't all that bad, actually.

Getting from 30% approval to 50 percent requires a ton of work and McConnell hasn't really shown the potential to do so. His approvals have never been this bad (contrary to popular belief) and Daschle's approvals in SD weren't even that bad. Also, the midterm electorate in KY is more Dem friendly, as evidenced by polling.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #240 on: March 14, 2014, 08:55:11 PM »

I love the part when a staffer hands Mitch a folder, Mitch puts it down and goes back to whatever he was doing before the pointless folder arrived.

That was my favourite part, too.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #241 on: March 14, 2014, 08:57:06 PM »

Is McConnell trying to win the record for most terrible ads or something?
Joshgreen
« Reply #242 on: March 14, 2014, 10:23:52 PM »

Is McConnell trying to win the record for most terrible ads or something?

I got through the first 1:20 and thought, "There's another minute of this?!" and closed out. This is actually terrible and won't even air given it's length. It's not as if you could even cut it down to make it shorter. Awful, just awful.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #243 on: March 15, 2014, 10:17:01 AM »

That ad is nothing but McConnell walking and smiling. Terrible ad.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #244 on: March 15, 2014, 10:55:42 AM »

The ad is designed for people who own tortoises! Because tortoise owners also vote, yo!
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #245 on: March 15, 2014, 12:22:00 PM »

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/03/14/how-mcconnelling-came-to-be/?tid=pm_politics_pop - selection of some of the best #Mcconneling
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #246 on: March 16, 2014, 12:34:14 PM »

Perry endorses McConnell. My guess is McConnell wins by 25 or so in the primary.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #247 on: March 16, 2014, 07:29:54 PM »

McConnell interview.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #248 on: March 24, 2014, 03:30:06 PM »

Tea Party Patriots endorses Bevin.

Meanwhile, the Kentucky Opportunity Coalition has released a radio ad praising McConnell's record on coal.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #249 on: March 30, 2014, 08:26:27 AM »

Manu Raju said on SOTU that McConnell is waiting till after the primary to go on air.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies