KY Senate Race 2014: Getting lucky in Kentucky
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:05:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  KY Senate Race 2014: Getting lucky in Kentucky
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19
Author Topic: KY Senate Race 2014: Getting lucky in Kentucky  (Read 57302 times)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: September 24, 2014, 10:57:58 AM »

Ipsos: McConnell leads among Likely Voters, Grimes leads among Registered Voters

http://www.ipsos-na.com/download/pr.aspx?id=13904

Also, this poll oversampled Republicans - 38 to 35 - in a 1.4-to-1 Democratic state.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #351 on: September 30, 2014, 06:25:03 AM »

The KY Senate race looks to be over:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/09/29/this-is-the-ad-mitch-mcconnell-thinks-is-going-to-get-him-reelected
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #352 on: October 01, 2014, 07:58:49 PM »

Completely random, but this race has the largest age gap of any race, 72 vs. 35, for 37 years. The only other race that comes close is Kansas, at 78 (Roberts) vs. 45 (Orman).
KCDem

« Reply #353 on: October 01, 2014, 08:09:53 PM »

Completely random, but this race has the largest age gap of any race, 72 vs. 35, for 37 years. The only other race that comes close is Kansas, at 78 (Roberts) vs. 45 (Orman).

Good. Hopefully Secretary Grimes sends the fossilized turtle to back to Kentucky's Creationism museum.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #354 on: October 01, 2014, 09:05:44 PM »

Congratulations Senator McConnell Sad
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #355 on: October 08, 2014, 04:18:31 PM »

Mitch McConnell sure isn't acting like a guy who's ahead. He calls into a sports radio show without any notice, starts complaining that they've been unfairly attacking him, and then goes on a series of "needlessly angry" (in the word of the show's host) rants when asked about things like climate change and which university's sports team he supports.

http://www.salon.com/2014/10/08/%E2%80%9Cneedlessly_angry%E2%80%9D_is_mitch_mcconnell_getting_worried/

Bizarre.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #356 on: October 08, 2014, 11:54:16 PM »

Feels like a tied ball game again.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #357 on: October 10, 2014, 03:26:07 AM »
« Edited: October 10, 2014, 03:32:19 AM by wormyguy »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/10/09/40-painful-seconds-of-alison-lundergan-grimes-refusing-to-say-whether-she-voted-for-president-obama/

Probably not as big a gaffe as WaPo makes it out to be, but not helpful for her.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #358 on: October 10, 2014, 09:26:34 AM »

A gaffe is a mistake. This is no gaffe. This is her pointedly trying to avoid answering whether or not she voted for Obama in either 2008 or 2012.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #359 on: October 10, 2014, 09:30:56 AM »

There's a thing called election secrecy. If you don't want people to tell how you voted, you should be able to do so. Besides, this election is about Grimes vs. McConnell and not about Obama.
KCDem

« Reply #360 on: October 10, 2014, 10:12:27 AM »

Actually very helpful to her since no one in Kentucky will care and this will prevent any hurtful soundbite from getting into Republican ads.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #361 on: October 10, 2014, 10:25:27 AM »

I think this bad publicity is better than admitting that she did vote for Obama, because that would allow McConnell to run a barrage of ads featuring her saying that.

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #362 on: October 10, 2014, 10:32:06 AM »

There's a thing called election secrecy. If you don't want people to tell how you voted, you should be able to do so. Besides, this election is about Grimes vs. McConnell and not about Obama.

I actually think you're wrong about this part.  If you want an example of a Senate race in a red state that wasn't about Obama look at Kansas.  That race is clearly about Pat Roberts and not much else.  Grimes' problem (and the reason she'll probably lose) is that for most Kentuckians, this election is about Obama and *not* Grimes vs. McConnell.  If the election was mainly about Grimes vs. McConnell for most voters there then Grimes would be leading in most polls at this point given that she's objectively a far stronger candidate than McConnell by almost any reasonable measure and has run a much better campaign (which is why the race is competitive in the first place, McConnell's unpopularity alone wouldn't have been enough).
Mogrovejo
Rookie
« Reply #363 on: October 10, 2014, 11:27:23 AM »

I think this bad publicity is better than admitting that she did vote for Obama, because that would allow McConnell to run a barrage of ads featuring her saying that.

I disagree - I think an add with that cringe-inducing 30 seconds will be more damaging than an add with her saying she voted for Obama (which everybody already assumes anyway).

Chuck Todd said today that Grimes "disqualified herself". He's being over-dramatic, of course, but he has a point.  I don't understand why politicians do this. Just lie. Say something like "yes, but I regret it", "I thought it was the lesser evil", "I didn't, I wasn't comfortable with any of the choices", "Romney, and his views on women/poor/whatever, was simply an unacceptable choice for me", "There are rare instances when I don't vote Democratic and that was one of them", etc. I think virtually everything is better than that painful dodging.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #364 on: October 10, 2014, 01:52:04 PM »

I disagree - I think an add with that cringe-inducing 30 seconds will be more damaging than an add with her saying she voted for Obama (which everybody already assumes anyway).

Chuck Todd said today that Grimes "disqualified herself". He's being over-dramatic, of course, but he has a point.  I don't understand why politicians do this. Just lie. Say something like "yes, but I regret it", "I thought it was the lesser evil", "I didn't, I wasn't comfortable with any of the choices", "Romney, and his views on women/poor/whatever, was simply an unacceptable choice for me", "There are rare instances when I don't vote Democratic and that was one of them", etc. I think virtually everything is better than that painful dodging.

Chuck Todd is a ridiculous concern troll. As if this is the biggest mistake a candidate has made all cycle. Roll Eyes

Grimes not answering a question? OMG IT'S OVER SHE DISQUALIFIED HERSELF BIGGEST SCANDAL EVER

McConnell having to fire his campaign manager for literal bribery? Eh, who cares, it's irrelevant.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #365 on: October 12, 2014, 12:34:30 AM »

Of course she voted for Obama. What kind of moron ever thought that she didn't?

Maybe Obama's approval rating wouldn't be so low in the Deep South if the local Democrats weren't always so ashamed to admit they like him. How can you blame Joe Blow voters for not liking a guy they've only ever heard 100% negative things about?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #366 on: October 12, 2014, 08:53:02 PM »

TNR says Grimes is running the year's worst Senate campaign, compares her to Land. (Exaggeration, needless to say) Main complaint is scripting and remaining bunkered.
KCDem

« Reply #367 on: October 12, 2014, 08:54:54 PM »

LOL clickbait.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #368 on: October 12, 2014, 09:07:20 PM »

I like the article they linked to better: "How the media has helped normalize GOP crazy"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2014/10/10/how-the-media-has-helped-normalize-gop-crazy/

Grimes is "disqualified" for not saying who she voted for, but Ernst gets a pass for suggesting nullification, impeaching Obama, that there were WMDs in Iraq, arresting federal regulators... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #369 on: October 14, 2014, 12:56:26 PM »

Grimes gets triaged.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #370 on: October 14, 2014, 01:03:32 PM »

Wow, the DSCC is dumb.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #371 on: October 14, 2014, 01:36:05 PM »

Better late than never, I suppose.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #372 on: October 14, 2014, 03:22:55 PM »

Grimes's entire campaign was a profile in cowardice. She routinely let McConnell get away with lies and obfuscations and repeatedly refused to stand for any sort of coherent ideology or vision. Good riddance.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #373 on: October 14, 2014, 04:08:24 PM »

Grimes's entire campaign was a profile in cowardice. She routinely let McConnell get away with lies and obfuscations and repeatedly refused to stand for any sort of coherent ideology or vision. Good riddance.

I agree with all of that but the race is still very close (at least in the public polling). I don't see why they would give up now unless their internal numbers are bad and perhaps they are.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #374 on: October 14, 2014, 04:19:44 PM »

I agree with all of that but the race is still very close (at least in the public polling). I don't see why they would give up now unless their internal numbers are bad and perhaps they are.

The internals probably aren't bad, but it sounds like the internals are looking better in Georgia (where Nunn is a better candidate and would actually be able to hold on to the seat if she ran for re-election). I think it makes sense to focus on one pick up opportunity and then put the rest of the money in Colorado and Iowa (saving some for the Louisiana run-off too and hoping that Begich's ground game can pull it off in Alaska).
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies