KY Senate Race 2014: Getting lucky in Kentucky
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:23:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  KY Senate Race 2014: Getting lucky in Kentucky
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19
Author Topic: KY Senate Race 2014: Getting lucky in Kentucky  (Read 57659 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: October 14, 2014, 04:27:35 PM »

Offing McConnell would be amazing though. Oh well.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #376 on: October 14, 2014, 04:28:12 PM »

The internals probably aren't bad, but it sounds like the internals are looking better in Georgia (where Nunn is a better candidate and would actually be able to hold on to the seat if she ran for re-election).

David Perdue is a truly bad man. But the Democrats' comeback of the late 2000s proved a strategy covering more states is better. (Remember the 50-state strategy?)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #377 on: October 14, 2014, 04:28:44 PM »

Offing McConnell would be amazing though. Oh well.

True. I'd love to see his concession. And the GOP senate leadership battle would be great fun. Sad
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #378 on: October 14, 2014, 05:31:23 PM »

If only there was someone that said early on that this wouldn't even be all that close...
KCDem

« Reply #379 on: October 14, 2014, 05:32:21 PM »

If only there was someone that said early on that this wouldn't even be all that close...

You're delusional if you think this won't be close.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #380 on: October 14, 2014, 05:32:56 PM »

Still looks like it'll be fairly close.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #381 on: October 16, 2014, 07:23:39 PM »

Politico compares Grimes to Todd Akin. LOL. Looks like the media isn't even trying to hide that they're on #TeamMitch.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/10/the-god-that-failed-111923.html?ml=m_po#.VEBgthYZwtA
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #382 on: October 16, 2014, 08:16:02 PM »

I don't see why people are writing Grimes off.  I mean, she's doing about as well as Braley and Udall are on RCP. 
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #383 on: October 16, 2014, 08:17:27 PM »
« Edited: October 16, 2014, 08:20:24 PM by Eraserhead »

Politico compares Grimes to Todd Akin. LOL. Looks like the media isn't even trying to hide that they're on #TeamMitch.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/10/the-god-that-failed-111923.html?ml=m_po#.VEBgthYZwtA

Politico has always been in the pocket of the Republican establishment.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #384 on: October 16, 2014, 08:22:43 PM »

I don't see why people are writing Grimes off.  I mean, she's doing about as well as Braley and Udall are on RCP. 

And she's raised 15 million dollars in private donations - more than any other candidate this season! McConnell included, who's just raised 12.
KCDem

« Reply #385 on: October 16, 2014, 09:22:54 PM »

Grimes outraises McConnell $4.9 million to $3.2 million.

Turtle has $5.2 COH while Grimes has $4.4

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/10/15/3482647_mcconnell-raises-32-million-in.html?rh=1
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #386 on: October 16, 2014, 09:27:14 PM »

Politico has always been in the pocket of the Republican establishment.

Lol
impactreps
dcushmanjva
Rookie
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #387 on: October 17, 2014, 12:09:54 PM »

The problem is all three candidates are trailing Republicans in the RCP averages. And the Democrats' argument for winning Iowa and Colorado is that their amazing turnout operation is going to save the day for Udall and Braley despite their deficit in the polls. Assuming that to be true, do we believe that the Democrats' have an amazing turnout operation in Kentucky that can save Grimes?
Mogrovejo
Rookie
« Reply #388 on: October 17, 2014, 06:15:57 PM »

I think this bad publicity is better than admitting that she did vote for Obama, because that would allow McConnell to run a barrage of ads featuring her saying that.

I disagree - I think an add with that cringe-inducing 30 seconds will be more damaging than an add with her saying she voted for Obama (which everybody already assumes anyway).

Chuck Todd said today that Grimes "disqualified herself". He's being over-dramatic, of course, but he has a point.  I don't understand why politicians do this. Just lie. Say something like "yes, but I regret it", "I thought it was the lesser evil", "I didn't, I wasn't comfortable with any of the choices", "Romney, and his views on women/poor/whatever, was simply an unacceptable choice for me", "There are rare instances when I don't vote Democratic and that was one of them", etc. I think virtually everything is better than that painful dodging.

Chuck Todd is a ridiculous concern troll. As if this is the biggest mistake a candidate has made all cycle. Roll Eyes

Grimes not answering a question? OMG IT'S OVER SHE DISQUALIFIED HERSELF BIGGEST SCANDAL EVER

McConnell having to fire his campaign manager for literal bribery? Eh, who cares, it's irrelevant.

As I said, Todd was being over-dramatic, but that's no reason to emulate him.

I think that what happened afterwards validates my view that it was a mistake - a worse solution than just admitting she voted for Obama or that she wrote-in her dad's name, for example (well, maybe some other esteemed KY politician, if it was her father would come across as too self-centered). It doesn't matter if Todd was right on substance; it matters that he said it and it eventually ended up on an add for McConnell. Then she had to go through the same during the debate - it was easily her worst moment in what have otherwise been a good debate for her. It ended up in factchecks in local press claiming that in she's revealed who she voted for in the past. The issue still hasn't gone away while everybody thinks she voted to Obama and is hiding it by presenting disingenuous arguments.

I think Michelle Nunn handled the question much more graciously and efficiently (of course, it'd be even worse for Nunn to refuse to answer as it could depress AA turnout).
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #389 on: October 19, 2014, 01:09:21 AM »

Would Alison have served herself better to respond something like this?

"Yes I did vote for Barack Obama in 2012, like nearly half a million Kentuckians did. Do most Kentuckians agree with that vote? No. But in 1992, Senator McConnell voted for George Bush and most Kentuckians did not. In 1996, Senator McConnell voted for Bob Dole and most Kentuckians did not. So instead of talking about one vote I made as a private citizen nearly two years ago, let's talk about the votes this debate should be about - the votes I intend to make as a United States Senator and the votes Mitch McConnell has made in the Senate that have been wrong for Kentucky and wrong for America."
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #390 on: October 19, 2014, 01:19:50 AM »

"Yes I did vote for Barack Obama in 2012, like nearly half a million Kentuckians did. Do most Kentuckians agree with that vote? No. But in 1992, Senator McConnell voted for George Bush and most Kentuckians did not. In 1996, Senator McConnell voted for Bob Dole and most Kentuckians did not. So instead of talking about one vote I made as a private citizen nearly two years ago, let's talk about the votes this debate should be about - the votes I intend to make as a United States Senator and the votes Mitch McConnell has made in the Senate that have been wrong for Kentucky and wrong for America."

Probably so.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #391 on: October 20, 2014, 02:27:50 PM »

Yes but that would have required her to run a campaign that wasn't defined by moderate heroism and cowardice.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #392 on: October 20, 2014, 03:04:18 PM »

That's good, you should email that to the campaign. :-P
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #393 on: October 23, 2014, 03:57:22 PM »

Grimes bashes Chuck Todd

Just when I thought I couldn't like her any more than I already do...
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #394 on: October 23, 2014, 04:03:37 PM »

Grimes bashes Chuck Todd

Just when I thought I couldn't like her any more than I already do...

This is a good move. People are sick and tired of the right-wing media telling them what to think.

I figured this out 20 years ago, but better late than never.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #395 on: October 23, 2014, 08:39:15 PM »

DSCC has jumped back in already. lol.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #396 on: October 24, 2014, 05:20:10 PM »

McConnell is self-funding almost $2M for the final stretch:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #397 on: October 24, 2014, 05:23:32 PM »

Yeah, clearly this race is safe R. McConnell's just blowing $2 million of his own money for the hell of it.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #398 on: October 24, 2014, 08:01:55 PM »

@howardfineman

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #399 on: October 24, 2014, 09:14:37 PM »

Mitch losing would be a thing of beauty.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies