Confederate Battle Flag (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:26:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Confederate Battle Flag (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What does it mean to you?
proud emblem of Southern heritage

dark symbol of slavery and segregation

other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 104

Author Topic: Confederate Battle Flag  (Read 12022 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: August 04, 2013, 05:47:40 PM »

I can understand why it would matter to some people (it represents Southern history), but I consider it to be offensive.  It may be part of your history, but it doesn't have to be how you live now.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 09:08:37 PM »

While many who served in the Confederate Army did so not to defend slavery, but their homes, that does not change the fact that no matter how much its defenders try to sugarcoat the issue, the Confederate States of America came into existing for only one reason, to defend the institution of race-based slavery.  While there certainly were other disputes between north and south, largely based on the different needs of a slave-based economy and one based on free men, those who declared independence in 1860 and 1861 did not suffer from the delusion that there was any other issue save slavery that caused them to attempt a revolution.
This.  I find it incredibly ironic that Democrats are the first to complain about it when they were the party that supported slavery, segregation, and the Confederacy when they existed.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies