Sexism and abuse isn't only on Twitter: one woman's gaming experience
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:02:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Sexism and abuse isn't only on Twitter: one woman's gaming experience
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sexism and abuse isn't only on Twitter: one woman's gaming experience  (Read 1331 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 04, 2013, 05:15:10 PM »

snip:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

snip:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

More: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/gamesblog/2013/jul/30/sexism-abuse-twitter-woman-gaming-experience

Pretty sickening, but I can't say I'm too surprised.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 05:24:06 PM »

There are disgusting people on the Internet. News at 11.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 05:28:45 PM »

Read the whole article, bro. Not only was this woman harassed and threatened multiple times, she was the one who was blamed for it. What's more, the people who tormented her were not held responsible for their behavior but rewarded, in one way or another.

There are many, many other stories similar to this, and not just on the Internet.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 05:33:08 PM »

Sexism is still a very powerful force.

This has always been the case, but we're seeing more of it now as social media both reduced people's inhibitions and increased the variety of people who can interact with each other.

You don't see it very much "out in the open" for obvious reasons.

But when people think they can get away with it you see it come out.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 05:34:59 PM »

The thing about this is, it's not [just] that people who hang out on the internet tend to be idiots. It's that people are much more uninhibited about saying what they really think from behind a computer screen than they are in real life. Which is even more scary if you think about it.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 05:48:46 PM »

Read the whole article, bro. Not only was this woman harassed and threatened multiple times, she was the one who was blamed for it. What's more, the people who tormented her were not held responsible for their behavior but rewarded, in one way or another.

There are many, many other stories similar to this, and not just on the Internet.

I did; that she was blamed for being harassed and ultimately banned for it is absolutely despicable. It also doesn't surprise me in the slightest, which says something about our culture.

And Drj is also right.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 06:47:05 PM »

Bullying and abuse on the internet is a pretty repulsive thing that isn't really getting any better, sadly. Games, social media, chatrooms; it's not treated as seriously as it should be just about anywhere.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 07:19:39 PM »

Bullying and abuse on the internet is a pretty repulsive thing that isn't really getting any better, sadly. Games, social media, chatrooms; it's not treated as seriously as it should be just about anywhere.

You might know something about that.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 10:17:18 PM »

As Libertarian as I tend to be, I think this is one place where government could and should make a difference.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 04:46:11 AM »

This is utterly sickening. Not the harassment in itself as much as the the fact it was condoned and actually even encouraged by the game's staff. Rape culture is alive and well, even in so-called "modern" societies...
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 05:06:43 AM »

I'm assuming it's WoW.  I just asked the wife as she played it for a few years and yes, she said that dudes could be dicks, but she never had the problems this lady had.  I've played many many hours with her on various First Person Shooters and those guys can be asshats too, thankfully there is less time to type on those and it's easy to ignore them.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 05:48:01 AM »

I'm assuming it's WoW.  I just asked the wife as she played it for a few years and yes, she said that dudes could be dicks, but she never had the problems this lady had.  I've played many many hours with her on various First Person Shooters and those guys can be asshats too, thankfully there is less time to type on those and it's easy to ignore them.

Well I've heard about the practice of "protecting" female gamers, thus ruining it for her and propagating chauvinism at the same time - that's the level of dickish I expected. Not the kind described in the article - a term like dickishness doesn't really do it justice.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 04:05:34 PM »

Somebody got talked smack to on the internet. Whatever.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 04:18:40 PM »

Somebody got talked smack to on the internet. Whatever.

Looks like you haven't read the article. Or else you are utterly incapable of basic human compassion. Considering your views on genetics and judicial issues, I can't exclude this possibility.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 04:36:02 PM »

Absolutely disgusting, horrifying, and completely 100% expected. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 01:50:05 AM »

As Libertarian as I tend to be, I think this is one place where government could and should make a difference.

by doing what?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 01:59:17 AM »

by doing what?

Mainly by allowing suits against the service provider on a class action basis for permitting a hostile online environment to thrive.  Threatened rape, even if supposedly in jest, is not something that should generally be tolerated online.  About the only exception would be adult websites where people explicitly come to engage in rape fantasies.  (Why anyone would fantasize about being raped is beyond my comprehension, but there apparently are people who do.)  The same goes for threatened real life violence in general.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 02:10:52 AM »

I was actually talking to a friend of mine about this today. He mentioned that one of his issues with this is that people often see this as against only one gender. To an extent, he is correct -- this sort of douchebaggery happens to everyone -- women just get a bit more of the brunt.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, 02:30:38 AM »

by doing what?

Mainly by allowing suits against the service provider on a class action basis for permitting a hostile online environment to thrive.  Threatened rape, even if supposedly in jest, is not something that should generally be tolerated online.  About the only exception would be adult websites where people explicitly come to engage in rape fantasies.  (Why anyone would fantasize about being raped is beyond my comprehension, but there apparently are people who do.)  The same goes for threatened real life violence in general.

that would probably shut down online interactive gaming. no service provider is going to want to risk hosting a game if they are constantly worried about class action suits.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, 02:54:38 AM »

Or they could actually take some steps to curb abusive players.  Right now it is in their economic interest to let them be abusive, especially if they are players willing to pay for premium items. This would change the equation and I fail to see how it would be any more problematic for them than sexual harassment lawsuits in the workplace.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 03:11:37 AM »

Or they could actually take some steps to curb abusive players.  Right now it is in their economic interest to let them be abusive, especially if they are players willing to pay for premium items. This would change the equation and I fail to see how it would be any more problematic for them than sexual harassment lawsuits in the workplace.

If you are talking about suing ISPs I don't see how they'd be in a position to actively monitor and intervene in these situations. That would be hard enough for the company actually running the game. Do they have anything like moderators, or is that even possible?  Isn't so much of these interactions between players that others aren't in a position to witness? 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2013, 03:53:10 AM »

And it's not only on the internet, either. What a horrible world we live in.
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2013, 04:34:00 AM »
« Edited: August 06, 2013, 04:41:40 AM by rejectamenta »

An anonymous commenter is abused in an unspecified game with millions of users that apparently requires your name, address, phone number and Facebook profile to register, and when she files a complaint she is personally banned by the CEO himself while her personal details are leaked to the public by disgruntled employees, some of which are players (perhaps even paying customers, we don't know) promoted to GM status in-house.  Oh, and the only testimony to this is a blog post on a news website.

Forgive my skepticism, but this sounds like a cautionary yarn.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2013, 02:38:08 PM »

If you are talking about suing ISPs I don't see how they'd be in a position to actively monitor and intervene in these situations. That would be hard enough for the company actually running the game. Do they have anything like moderators, or is that even possible?  Isn't so much of these interactions between players that others aren't in a position to witness? 

No, I'm talking about suing the game companies.  It would be fairly trivial software wise to log all chatroom chatter and look at it when there is an allegation of abuse.  Obviously, they aren't going to monitor all chat live.  It would be prohibitively expensive and it isn't needed.  Now if the chat took place via chat facilities not provided by the company, then obviously the responsibility would lie with the chat host.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies