Opinion of Barack Obama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:01:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Barack Obama
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 78

Author Topic: Opinion of Barack Obama  (Read 2689 times)
Oak Hills
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, 12:19:51 PM »

I think he's honestly doing the best he can, so FF.
^This, but I had to oppose him last year because of his civil liberties policies.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2013, 12:27:52 PM »

I don't like him, but he's not as bad as the Tea Party thinks he is.

This. Voted HP out of disapproval for his policies, but he himself seems OK.
Cryptic
Shadowlord88

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -6.09

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2013, 02:07:06 PM »

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2013, 02:10:03 PM »

lulz
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2013, 02:15:18 PM »

Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2013, 02:55:02 PM »

>is a social conservative
>accuses other people of having no respect for civil liberties
>mfw

A few things:

1. DC Al Fine has like a 1.39 S rating.  Sure, it's pretty right wing for this forum, but I wouldn't go as far as to call him a "social conservative".

2. Even with all your political changes it should be obvious to you that this President has no respect for Civil Liberties.  Hell, even his supporters admit as much.

Also, while we're at it:

>mfw

at your FF rating.  Have you really stopped giving a sh*t about things like privacy rights, warranted searches, and extrajudicial killings?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2013, 02:59:47 PM »

Let's see what Barack Obama has accomplished while President...

>stimulus package that was by all accounts too small, loaded down with business tax cuts and tax credits for businesses with little to no aid for distressed or out of work Americans, no jobs programs to speak of
>'saved Detroit' by tearing up UAW contracts, pushing the Big Three to outsource production, still didn't actually save Detroit because the whole city is going under
>didn't say anything or do anything to stop bankers from reaping bonuses on the public teat; continued to bailout awful, no good bankers who crashed the global economy, appointed them to key positions of influence within his administration
>health care 'reform' that reinforced market logic and made the private health insurance industry into an actual parasite feeding off of the public while requiring the public to feed the parasite or face a fine, banned negotiating for lower drug prices, implemented a nonsensical tax on high end health plans, and really did little to address the needs of most Americans as far as health care is concerned
>spied on, disrupted, and generally cracked down on Occupy Wall Street in spite of Occupy not actually breaking any laws; has had absolutely no respect for the Fourth Amendment or the Constitution as a whole during his Presidency in spite of his background as a 'constitutional law professor', expanded the surveillance state, assassinated American citizens on his own supposed authority to do so without any constitutional logic backing that up
>continued the war in Afghanistan after the death of Osama bin Laden for no reason at all really; intervened in Libya and now in the process of intervening in Syria; waging a multi-front war in the Middle East without congressional oversight or approval, has positioned the United States as an anti-China player in the Pacific in spite of that country not actually doing anything to the United States, continuing the saber-rattling with Iran and North Korea
>stood by and watched as Republican Governors took on and successfully busted or beat back the labor movement, in spite of labor having basically elected him in 2008 and in 2012. Has done really nothing at all for labor, didn't even attempt to pass EFCA, proposed an inadequate increase in the minimum wage and then punted there too when Congress wouldn't pass it, has called for implemented what would amount to a massive cut in Social Security benefits and Medicare benefits
>completely lied about his position on trade to get into the White House; has not renegotiated NAFTA or even considered it while President, has only lukewarmly responded to Chinese predatory trade practices, signed free trade agreements with Korea (which will destroy more Auto jobs) and Columbia (which murders trade unionists), negotiating an even bigger, supersized version of NAFTA in total secrecy (Trans-Pacific Partnership)
>country has actually become far MORE unequal under Obama than it was under Bush, with now 93 cents out of every dollar going to the top 1% in spite of Obama's high minded rhetoric; he's also been completely f**king inept at working with Congress, just turns and runs at every opportunity

Yeah, what a 'liberal' this guy's been. Roll Eyes

Really, after reading all of this I fail to see how the score can be anything other than "HP".
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2013, 01:29:48 AM »

1. DC Al Fine has like a 1.39 S rating.  Sure, it's pretty right wing for this forum, but I wouldn't go as far as to call him a "social conservative".

DC Al Fine plainly is a social conservative.
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2013, 01:42:50 AM »

Not at all by American standards, which I will always be the first to criticize.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2013, 01:57:05 AM »

Not at all by American standards, which I will always be the first to criticize.

I wasn't intending to criticise his stance - just clarify it. He can probably do it better, but I'd be surprised if he didn't self-identify as one.
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2013, 04:51:58 AM »

HP.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2013, 05:30:19 AM »

I have an active crush on Obama that prevents me from fully internalizing many of his failures to be honest. The vitriolic hatred from the right and living through the constant struggle of his presidency in a deeply red state endeared me to him in a truly powerful way that reminds me that political allegiance goes beyond policy. At this point, my identity is tied up in his presidency. It helps that he loves the Wire, Kanye West and is a fellow halfie with a confused ethnic identity.

Love u Barry, keep up the good fight!

bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2013, 11:50:19 AM »

Massive FF. Could govern more effectively, but that's besides the point.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2013, 12:01:17 PM »

This is of course the only possible answer.

A lot of people don't really understand how incredibly impossible it has become to do anything in Washington, obviously since the 2010 midterms, but even before then.  Some of Obama's tactics were rather weaker and more naive than they should have been, and his acquiescence to several Serious Person narratives (chief among them deficit peacockery) is obviously disappointing... but I don't think the angry leftists here really have a good sense of what he's up against.  Bernie Sanders would not have done much better.
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2013, 12:12:41 PM »

This is of course the only possible answer.

A lot of people don't really understand how incredibly impossible it has become to do anything in Washington, obviously since the 2010 midterms, but even before then.  Some of Obama's tactics were rather weaker and more naive than they should have been, and his acquiescence to several Serious Person narratives (chief among them deficit peacockery) is obviously disappointing... but I don't think the angry leftists here really have a good sense of what he's up against.  Bernie Sanders would not have done much better.

I agree wholeheartedly, though many forum members will correctly point out executive actions in which he could have been more liberal, foreign policy disagreements and of course you have the angry civil liberties crowd who were disappointed.

My only real problem with Obama was that he was somewhat naive in how aggressively the Republicans would oppose his agenda. The first two years of his presidency had the most progressive series of legislation proposed since LBJ.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2013, 12:12:49 PM »

You can be the face of the killing/enslaving machine which is the capitalist state and still be a 'real' freedom fighter.
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2013, 12:44:52 AM »

HP, but not as much of one as some of his critics think.

This essentially.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2013, 01:22:16 AM »
« Edited: August 09, 2013, 01:36:39 AM by #GOPswagg »

Utterly mediocre, but still preferable to the crypto-fascists on the other side.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2013, 07:28:32 AM »

Very much HP, I can go on for days but this is not the place...
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2013, 07:43:57 AM »

Yeah I jumped on DC too quickly just because of the blue avatar so i apologize for that

I know he's absolutely awful on civil liberties, but let's not pretend like Romney or even Hillary would be any better. He's not really a FF per se, he's just better than the alternatives.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2013, 08:16:52 AM »

Utterly mediocre, but still preferable to the crypto-fascists on the other side.

okay Michael Savage.

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2013, 09:55:34 AM »

I wasn't intending to criticise his stance - just clarify it. He can probably do it better, but I'd be surprised if he didn't self-identify as one.

To clarify: I'm a social conservative but it tends to inform my thinking on economic issues more than anything else. With the exception of abortion, I don't really care about GOP socon issues, which is why I show up as a social centrist on the atlas test.

Besides one can be a socon and defend civil liberties. Paranoia about religious persecution really helps in this regard. The fear of the state enforcing religious views is enough to make me be against drones, NSA etc.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2013, 10:04:24 AM »

To clarify: I'm a social conservative but it tends to inform my thinking on economic issues more than anything else.
Interesting. Can you expand on that? Fear of atomisation/community breakdown etc, or?

With the exception of abortion, I don't really care about GOP socon issues, which is why I show up as a social centrist on the atlas test.
IIRC you've said before you're opposed to gay marriage, but don't really advertise it to avoid the protracted arguments that'd ensue. Beyond abortion and gay marriage, what socon issues do GOP grandstand over (obviously immigration, but excluding that) that you're not interested in?

Besides one can be a socon and defend civil liberties.
Yeah, I wasn't seeking to defend that point - just found it odd it was being questioned whether you were a socon.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2013, 10:25:28 AM »

Darn, I just drop by to see what they are saying about Barack, and find two more turds from the banned bad boys. I wonder just how much sh*t they have dumped on my Boards. Maybe I need to call in a cleaning service. Sad
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2013, 11:49:29 AM »

Everything averaged together, a mild FF.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies