Minnesota- Why can't the GOP get the job done there?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:04:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Minnesota- Why can't the GOP get the job done there?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Minnesota- Why can't the GOP get the job done there?  (Read 10176 times)
illegaloperation

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2013, 11:46:16 PM »
« edited: August 18, 2013, 11:51:44 PM by illegaloperation »

What do you all think is the Democrats' equivalent of Minnesota? I suppose the strongest contender is North Dakota, although a case could have been made for Virginia pre-2008.

Minnesota is a leaning D state in which the GOP can't seem to do anything.

So by opposite you mean, a leaning R state in which the Dems can't seem to do anything?

I would say maybe North Carolina, but the Dems are making indentations there in presidential races. Arizona or Missouri seems like a good answer here.

By the 2012 election, its polar opposite, meaning the state the leans just as republican as Minnesota does democrat, is Florida... Yes, that's right. Wisconsin is a perfect match for opposite of Florida, but Florida is the closest republican state to Minnesota.

Minnesota: D+3.8%
Florida: R+3.0%

The Florida democratic party is having troubles at the state level, but Obama did win the state twice (granted by very small margins) so I wouldn't exactly call it an opposite of Minnesota when it comes to general political success of the republican party in Florida as compared to the general political success of the democratic party in Minnesota.  

Definitely not North Carolina.

Democrats controlled North Carolina at the state level for 150 years before the inept Perdue screwed it up.

Democrat will probably win the governor office back in 2016, but the GA districting greatly favor Republicans.
hopper
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2013, 12:53:21 AM »

Well "The Twin Cities" aren't friendly voting wise to Republican Presidential Candidates.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2013, 07:01:29 PM »

Well "The Twin Cities" aren't friendly voting wise to Republican Presidential Candidates.

Two party vote 2012

Minneapolis- Obama 83% - Romney 17%
St Paul- Obama 78% - Romney 22%

That has to rank right up there with the most Democratic white majority cities in the nation.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2013, 12:25:21 AM »

Two party vote 2012

That has to rank right up there with the most Democratic white majority cities in the nation.

This is another good point. The farmer's labor ideals have been big in Minnesota ever since the early 20th century. Minnesota isn't the only state we're having trouble in though. I'd say the same about Michigan, Oregon, Pennsylvania, maybe Maine, and Wisconsin and New Hampshire are looking more that way.
hopper
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2013, 08:13:10 PM »

Two party vote 2012

This is another good point. The farmer's labor ideals have been big in Minnesota ever since the early 20th century. Minnesota isn't the only state we're having trouble in though. I'd say the same about Michigan, Oregon, Pennsylvania, maybe Maine, and Wisconsin and New Hampshire are looking more that way.
MI-The GOP used to win there before 1992 in Presidential Elections. Bush W. almost won PA in 2000 and 2004. NH is a swing state now and probably will always be that way. Maine- a GOP Presidential Candidate hasn't carried the state since 1988 although Bush W. did do good there I think both times. Wisconsin was close 2000 and 2004(especially-500 votes) but an R Presidential Candidate hasn't carried the state since 1984.
hopper
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2013, 08:19:08 PM »

Why is Northeast-North Central MN so Democratic? I guess that area is similar to some Democratic Farm Area's in Iowa term of voting.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2013, 08:56:23 PM »

Why is Northeast-North Central MN so Democratic? I guess that area is similar to some Democratic Farm Area's in Iowa term of voting.
Are you talking about the Duluth area? That's the Iron range.  It has a lot of union-oriented white democrats, plus some liberal types in the city of Duluth and in Cook County.

If you're talking about North-Central Minnesota, around Bemidji and such, I believe the area's democratic-ness comes from several major Indian reservations + a university in Bemidji. Of course, that corner of the world isn't that Democratic, although I believe Obama over-performed there in 2008 by a lot.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2013, 10:01:55 PM »

Minnesota has the religious nutterism but not the intense hatred for poors. Very different dynamic without the blacks.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2013, 10:06:09 PM »

Two party vote 2012

MI-The GOP used to win there before 1992 in Presidential Elections. Bush W. almost won PA in 2000 and 2004. NH is a swing state now and probably will always be that way. Maine- a GOP Presidential Candidate hasn't carried the state since 1988 although Bush W. did do good there I think both times. Wisconsin was close 2000 and 2004(especially-500 votes) but an R Presidential Candidate hasn't carried the state since 1984.

I was making comparisons between Minnesota and its purplish blue counterparts.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2013, 07:38:24 PM »

I live in Duluth and I definitely concur with Sol. Unions are very strong in Minnesota, and the GOP has a difficulty with appeasing unions (for good reasons, in my opinion Tongue). You'd need to be a pretty populist conservative to win here, or in this select area at least.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2013, 09:43:54 PM »

I live in Duluth and I definitely concur with Sol. Unions are very strong in Minnesota, and the GOP has a difficulty with appeasing unions (for good reasons, in my opinion Tongue). You'd need to be a pretty populist conservative to win here, or in this select area at least.

This gives me a good idea for a thread. Bush would've won Minnesota both times if he was more pro-union and a little less free trade.
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2013, 10:53:58 PM »

This gives me a good idea for a thread. Bush would've won Minnesota both times if he was more pro-union and a little less free trade.

Romney would've won DC if he was a liberal Democrat.
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2013, 10:55:15 PM »

McCain/Palin would have won all 538 EVs if John McCain was actually Ronald Reagan, Sarah Palin was actually Bill Clinton, Barack Obama was actually Hitler, and Joe Biden was actually Stalin.
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2013, 10:56:21 PM »

McCain/Palin would have won all 538 EVs if John McCain was actually Ronald Reagan, Sarah Palin was actually Bill Clinton, Barack Obama was actually Hitler, and Joe Biden was actually Stalin.

Utah would be a Safe Democratic state if all the white socially conservative Mormons were actually liberal whites, blacks, and Hispanics from Manhattan.
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2013, 10:58:22 PM »

Utah would be a Safe Democratic state if all the white socially conservative Mormons were actually liberal whites, blacks, and Hispanics from Manhattan.

A Republican would be elected President of the United States in 2016 if he had Ted Cruz's appearance, life story, and biography and Chris Christie's views, record/experience, and style.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2013, 10:59:31 PM »

That's a big if and in no way comparable to the statement I made. I fail to see the point of your post.

PolitiJunkie

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2013, 11:01:52 PM »

A Republican would be elected President of the United States in 2016 if he had Ted Cruz's appearance, life story, and biography and Chris Christie's views, record/experience, and style.

Al Gore would be President of the United States if Jeb Bush and Katherine Harris didn't prevent 54,000 Florida citizens, 54% of whom were African American, from voting because their names sounded similar to those of about 2,000 felons, if the butterfly ballot was not used in heavily Democratic precincts where the majority of voters were blind old Jews, and if faulty voting machines did not report an unusually high number of over votes in heavily Democratic poor inner city precincts.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2013, 11:06:09 PM »

Al Gore would be President of the United States if Jeb Bush and Katherine Harris didn't prevent 54,000 Florida citizens, 54% of whom were African American, from voting because their names sounded similar to those of about 2,000 felons, if the butterfly ballot was not used in heavily Democratic precincts where the majority of voters were blind old Jews, and if faulty voting machines did not report an unusually high number of over votes in heavily Democratic poor inner city precincts.

Again I fail to see the point of your post because it in no way relates to what I proposed. If only it were the same thing. The butterfly ballot was hysterical.
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2013, 11:08:11 PM »

Again I fail to see the point of your post because it in no way relates to what I proposed. If only it were the same thing. The butterfly ballot was hysterical.

I'm just exposing both the uselessness and the unlikeliness of the particular hypothetical you made.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2013, 11:25:41 PM »

I'm just exposing both the uselessness and the unlikeliness of the particular hypothetical you made.

It would be useless if Bush was more pro-union and won Minnesota?
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2013, 11:28:18 PM »

No, that's the "unlikeliness" part that I referenced. The "uselessness" part came from the fact that your hypothetical is probably wrong (if he wasn't winning WI, PA, and even IA in 2000, no way he was winning MN), but also the fact that you were making a tiny, inconsequential what-if about an election 13 years ago.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2013, 11:32:13 PM »

No, that's the "unlikeliness" part that I referenced. The "uselessness" part came from the fact that your hypothetical is probably wrong (if he wasn't winning WI, PA, and even IA in 2000, no way he was winning MN), but also the fact that you were making a tiny, inconsequential what-if about an election 13 years ago.

He may have very well won those states too in that case.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2013, 12:48:09 AM »

It's ridiculous to expect Republicans to be competitive at the presidential level because of the past success of Pawlenty and Coleman.

Pawlenty and Coleman only won because of the stupid Independence Party.

There's a lot of dopey Minnesota voters who think everyone's so gosh darn nice they can't decide who to vote for, so they end up throwing their vote away on the IP.

If there were just two parties on the ballot though, Democrats would win every statewide race no contest, except very rarely.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2013, 06:46:11 AM »

It's ridiculous to expect Republicans to be competitive at the presidential level because of the past success of Pawlenty and Coleman.

Pawlenty and Coleman only won because of the stupid Independence Party.

There's a lot of dopey Minnesota voters who think everyone's so gosh darn nice they can't decide who to vote for, so they end up throwing their vote away on the IP.

If there were just two parties on the ballot though, Democrats would win every statewide race no contest, except very rarely.

Plus the fact that the Dems botched the Wellstone funeral.

Speaking of Wellstone, I just realized that when he had a goatee he looked like Toby Ziegler.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2013, 07:16:44 AM »

The difficulty with becoming more pro-union in MN is that it would hurt the GOP in the Twin City suburbs, so they really wouldn't actually gain votes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies