Meanwhile in Soviet Union.....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:21:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Meanwhile in Soviet Union.....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Meanwhile in Soviet Union.....  (Read 4220 times)
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 07, 2013, 04:27:03 PM »
« edited: August 07, 2013, 04:30:32 PM by CTRattlesnake »

I'm not sure what this means, but comrade Stalin approves.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/01/us-russia-olympics-gays-idUSBRE97016120130801

You must be logged in to read this quote.

See also:
http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/08/07/obama-russias-anti-gay-posture-violates-basic-morality/
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2013/08/07/president-obama-has-no-patience-for-russias-anti-gay-stance/
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 05:29:09 PM »

Hopefully we boycott this.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 06:01:14 PM »

Disgusting.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 06:10:45 PM »

I think it would be better to see gay athletes go, and pull a Jesse Owens. But if we boycott, meh. I don't care much about the Olympics and think they are quite boring.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 06:55:36 PM »

I think it would be better to see gay athletes go, and pull a Jesse Owens. But if we boycott, meh. I don't care much about the Olympics and think they are quite boring.

It would be cool if a gay American athlete beat a straight Russian athlete in a high profile competition, but it wouldn't resonate the same way Jesse Owens did in the 1936 games. Hitler's schtick was that aryans were genetically superior to other races, so Owens' gold medals totally poked a giant hole in that theory.

Russians aren't questioning genetics, they're questioning morality. To them, being gay isn't natural- it's a sexual perversion linked to things like pedophilia.  They're trying to save Russia from a decline they think gays are causing in western nations. To really get their panties in a wad we should send over gay America tourists with their spouses and children. Show the ruskies that gay parents can create a stable and loving family. Although I doubt many would be willing to volunteer.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 06:57:31 PM »

The Eastern Bloc is heavily socially conservative, very extremely so in certain areas. The only leftist ideology was the economic policy and even that was more about authoritarianism than the left-right spectrum. I think there are some politicians in the US that would pass something like this if they could get it through a legislature.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 12:58:02 AM »

smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 01:44:26 AM »
« Edited: August 08, 2013, 02:12:17 AM by smoltchanov »

Well, that will not have too much effect. On Russian people and authorities at least. Most of the Russian people will quite happily say "we won this Olympics, that's what important, and all, who disagree, may go to hell and   f..k himself into ass". I reside in Moscow NOW and even there (in most "advanced" city in Russia) most gays are looked at with extremely strong suspicion, and often - with "unblemished hatred". Even more so - in the areas outside capital. This Russian law and such approach to gays commands extremely strong majority in Russia - most likely above 2/3 or, may be - even 3/4. No party in power in Russia will change that in foreseeable future - it will simply be mocked all election campaign, and, most likely - lose next election. The Russian population is well known for it's left-wing (or, at least - very redistributive) economic politics, and even more right-wing social one. "Gay marriage" is a dirty word here... And not because "it's politically incorrect", but because, according to most popular view, it's an idiocy and perversion. And such people (again, in opinion of the most) belong either to jail (some even suggest to shoot them on place) or psychiatric hospital... That's a reality...
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 03:31:24 AM »

Just like we boycotted Beijing in 2008 and Berlin in 1936?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 03:46:25 AM »

Guys, the Soviet Union won't be back for a couple more years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasian_Union
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 04:50:40 AM »

Beat me to it.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 05:21:47 AM »

Pretty terrible. 
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 08:06:47 AM »

The Eastern Bloc is heavily socially conservative, very extremely so in certain areas. The only leftist ideology was the economic policy and even that was more about authoritarianism than the left-right spectrum. I think there are some politicians in the US that would pass something like this if they could get it through a legislature.

I think it's also important to point out that the Soviet regime attempted to stamp out any western influence in their sphere. Because they held so much power for so long, they succeeded in keeping much of the old soviet bloc years behind in the west on many social issues. Much of the soviet doctrine was based on marxism and leninism, but a rejection of western ideals was also central to the entire ideology.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 09:03:55 AM »
« Edited: August 08, 2013, 09:23:12 AM by smoltchanov »

I think it's also important to point out that the Soviet regime attempted to stamp out any western influence in their sphere. Because they held so much power for so long, they succeeded in keeping much of the old soviet bloc years behind in the west on many social issues. Much of the soviet doctrine was based on marxism and leninism, but a rejection of western ideals was also central to the entire ideology.

Absolutely. And while about 50-55% of Russian citizens have "neutral-positive" opinion of US, about 25-30% tend to blame it for literally everything and, most likely, would be very happy if it would someway vanish from the face of the Earth. I can't even blame them too harshly - most of them were "trained and educated" such way most of their life. And it takes considerable time and effort to change your approach... May be next generations, those, who don't remember many years of Cold War....
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 09:28:54 AM »

Indeed, a school district in Minnesota had a very similar policy up until it was repealed last year:
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/one-towns-war-on-gay-teens-20120202
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/blogs/national-affairs/minnesota-school-district-ends-policy-blamed-for-anti-gay-bullying-20120209
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 09:54:45 AM »

I don't like punishing our own athletes for the host country's injustices.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 09:58:03 AM »

This.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 10:31:27 AM »

And boycott will be exactly that. Just as it was in 1980 when US boycotted Moscow Olympics and just as it was in 1984, when Soviet union with allies boycotted Los Angeles games..
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 10:42:29 AM »

Beat me to it.

Yeah, and really if we're being honest with ourselves, the "People's Republic" of China is far worse than Russia in terms of human rights abuse.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 10:55:31 AM »

I'm not sure what this means, but comrade Stalin approves.

Stalinist tenderness shines a light on the future of our children!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 05:28:31 PM »

...the "People's Republic" of China is far worse than Russia in terms of human rights abuse.

In the service of american capital.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 06:25:12 PM »

...the "People's Republic" of China is far worse than Russia in terms of human rights abuse.

In the service of american capital.

Because Apple killed 45 million people during the great leap forward...right?

Oh wait, that was the sociopath in charge of the country, never mind.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 08:38:05 PM »

Well.  If the inability to freely speak in favor of the LBGT lifestyle is a problem to make people want to boycott Russia, then I think by the same logic they should advocate boycotting places like Germany, France, UK, Belgium etc for their hate speech laws and laws against holocaust denial.  
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 10:01:25 PM »

Well.  If the inability to freely speak in favor of the LBGT lifestyle is a problem to make people want to boycott Russia, then I think by the same logic they should advocate boycotting places like Germany, France, UK, Belgium etc for their hate speech laws and laws against holocaust denial.  

The wording of the "speech" law isn't the issue. It's the fact that Russians regularly beat the crap out of gay protesters with police complicity and the law covers for it.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2013, 10:05:12 PM »

Well.  If the inability to freely speak in favor of the LBGT lifestyle is a problem to make people want to boycott Russia, then I think by the same logic they should advocate boycotting places like Germany, France, UK, Belgium etc for their hate speech laws and laws against holocaust denial.   

That's a profoundly idiotic attempt to establish moral equivalence.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies