Why are there so few people living along California's northern shore?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:37:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why are there so few people living along California's northern shore?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why are there so few people living along California's northern shore?  (Read 4067 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 08, 2013, 11:24:55 AM »

In particular, I'm thinking of Mendocino and Humboldt counties. I visited last year and it was incredibly beautiful up there. I'm not really complaining because it's much prettier without a lot of development. But it's still very surprising to me. In contrast, even without big cities, Monterey County has >400,000 people and San Luis Obispo has nearly 300,000. Mendocino and Humboldt have just about 100,000 each.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 01:23:18 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humboldt_County,_California#History

Mendocino is rather similar in that regard.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 02:59:53 PM »

Yeah, it doesn't matter how beautiful a place is if you can't get a job there, most people won't move there.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 06:47:38 PM »

Liberal protectionism is preventing people from finding work. I don't see Texas having this problem.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 08:26:34 PM »

Texas looks like this:

What's to protect?
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 10:26:15 PM »

Texas looks like this:

What's to protect?

Quote from: Restricted
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 11:43:36 PM »

Wikipedia explains it better than I can:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Coast,_California

This one too:
http://www.mapsofworld.com/usa/topographic-maps/maps/california-topo-map.jpg

I believe the Diablo Range/associated mountains in the Central Valley is also a big reason why the Central Coast has been so sparsely developed. San Luis Obispo is totally surrounded by mountains and hills, for example. CAHSR commissioned a study at one point about the costs of building the line through the Central Coast rather than interior California and they were just insane.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 01:26:17 PM »

There just isn't enough buildable land along the north coast. And the forests and hills are protected, as they should be. Only the area around Eureka is buildable, and even there it probably can't support a population greater than 500k or so. And even then it would have very tough access to the rest of the country. Also, the weather up there really isn't that nice. The weather is more like Seattle than San Francisco not to mention Los Angeles. It is because of the weather that Southern California keeps growing even during a huge recession.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 03:20:59 PM »
« Edited: August 09, 2013, 11:56:56 PM by Torie »

The high Hispanic population in Socal has something to do with the continued population growth. The Oregon and Washington coasts are largely empty too. And bear in mind that the ocean is frigid and the sky very often foggy. That is why Sunset Beach right on the coast in SF was a working class neighborhood, and even today, one of the less chic areas of the city. The climate sucks. Heck it was 59 degrees at midday, with a wind, and man it was cold. This was just last week in the middle of the summer.

Things change as you go south around the bend of Point Conception (about a 90 degree turn). The ocean suddenly is at least 10 degrees warmer, and it is far less foggy. And basically the coast all the way down to the Mexican border is filled south of Point Conception except for where Camp Pendleton is - about a 150 mile stretch.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 04:30:01 PM »

So they should move Camp Pendleton up to Northern California and sell the one in SoCAL.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 05:41:22 PM »

So they should move Camp Pendleton up to Northern California and sell the one in SoCAL.

It depends on how much sonar testing the Navy wants to do up there. Northern California is an even better whale habitat than Southern California (though dolphins just love Socal waters) so that is a concern. Environmentalists would be very opposed to any such move, and environmentalists are obviously very powerful in California. I would support the move provided they limit their sonar testing off California waters and they don't disturb old growth forests.
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 07:51:15 PM »

Texas looks like this:

What's to protect?

...the worst
mianfei
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2017, 08:13:46 AM »

Yeah, it doesn't matter how beautiful a place is if you can't get a job there, most people won't move there.
That’s the key issue – there are few jobs though for me 59 degrees most of the year is perfect – Eureka is like Tasmania or New Zealand in having about the world’s best climate. More than that, in the age of low-input agriculture the region was problematic because of poor parent materials – there are large tracts of nutrient-poor serpentines in the region.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2017, 08:46:04 AM »

Both of my brothers live in Mendocino County, one of them has lived there for about 30 years, and I lived there for nearly three years, Jan. 2005 to Nov. 2007. I agree that there aren't enough jobs in the area to attract more people. The accessability of the area is an issue too. All of the roads leading in to Ft. Bragg include many hairpin turns through mountainous terrain.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2017, 06:38:57 PM »

Most of the small population of Califonia's north coast is hemmed in between mountains and a very rocky shore with few natural ports.  There's no San Francisco Bay or flat Los Angeles Basin there. And it rains a lot.  

Because of the lack of ports, it wasn't the type of place where people founded towns back in the day when access to water mattered more. Because of the mountains and lack of major ports, it wasn't the type of place that became dense with railroads, which was also important to city development before highways.  What little population that is there is centered around the city of Eureka and Humboldt Bay.  But Humboldt Bay doesn't lead to a major river, like the Sacramento, to bring in agriculture to the ports from the very fertile Central Valley.  Inland Northern California is very rocky and not very fertile.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2017, 11:29:54 PM »

Liberal protectionism is preventing people from finding work. I don't see Texas having this problem.

Unemployment Rate in Texas (Feb '17): 4.9%
Unemployment Rate in California (Feb '17): 5.0%

No significant difference.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies