SENATE BILL: Fiscal Year 2014 White House Budget Proposal (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:56:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Fiscal Year 2014 White House Budget Proposal (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Fiscal Year 2014 White House Budget Proposal (Law'd)  (Read 7185 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: October 03, 2013, 03:48:45 PM »

Senators, a final vote is now open on the underlying budget Proposal, please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #176 on: October 03, 2013, 03:52:23 PM »

As much as I dislike the top rate being 60%, I think this is the best we can do.

Aye.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #177 on: October 03, 2013, 03:52:25 PM »

AYE
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #178 on: October 03, 2013, 03:54:01 PM »

AYE.

The tax code isn't as progressive as I'd have liked, but the top rate of 60% is a definite improvement.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #179 on: October 03, 2013, 04:16:31 PM »

Nay

I worry about what having such high tax rates would do to job growth. Hopefully we never actually have to face this in reality.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #180 on: October 03, 2013, 04:41:08 PM »

Nay

I worry about what having such high tax rates would do to job growth. Hopefully we never actually have to face this in reality.

We had a 94% top income tax rate in the 1950s and massive economic expansion. Under a Republican President.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #181 on: October 03, 2013, 05:05:17 PM »

Nay

We had a 94% top income tax rate in the 1950s and massive economic expansion. Under a Republican President.

The effective top rate, and it's hard to dispute this, was much much lower than 94%. But let's sidestep that point, and look at the fact that during the Eisenhower Presidency, growth was actually a very anemic 2.2%.

Now let's compare that to administration that cut taxes deeply, actually, let's look at the very next President. President John F. Kennedy. John F. Kennedy cut the top rate down from that 94% to around 70%. Growth under the Kennedy administration was 5.5%. A massive difference right? Well, I buy into the idea that a certain rate is good for economic growth, and while it's higher than this imaginary U.S.A now, it's lower than the one we are putting forward.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #182 on: October 03, 2013, 10:50:25 PM »

Aye
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #183 on: October 03, 2013, 11:12:47 PM »

Aye
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #184 on: October 04, 2013, 12:18:04 AM »

aye
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #185 on: October 04, 2013, 12:02:51 PM »

Aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #186 on: October 04, 2013, 04:55:16 PM »

This has enough votes to pass, Senators have 24 hours to change their votes.

Nay

The effective top rate, and it's hard to dispute this, was much much lower than 94%. But let's sidestep that point, and look at the fact that during the Eisenhower Presidency, growth was actually a very anemic 2.2%.

Now let's compare that to administration that cut taxes deeply, actually, let's look at the very next President. President John F. Kennedy. John F. Kennedy cut the top rate down from that 94% to around 70%. Growth under the Kennedy administration was 5.5%. A massive difference right? Well, I buy into the idea that a certain rate is good for economic growth, and while it's higher than this imaginary U.S.A now, it's lower than the one we are putting forward.

In fact it was one of the issues in 1960 that the economy had gone through three downturns and that growth was so slow. I am sure that the Eisenhower administration surely reaped the benefits of that "massive expansion" in 54 and 58 when Congressional Republicans got butchered partially because of two of those downtowns (as well as numerous other things such as McCarthy in the former and Sputnik in the latter).

Also, as I said numerous times before, the 1950's existed in a global economic anamoly stemming from the fact that the US was the only industrial country not blasted to hell by WWII. This allowed the US a greater degree of flexibility on the side of competativeness, even in spite of it occuring in an era of increasingly liberalized trade (coming off the Depression most agreed was made worse by protectionism), since there was no competition. Ironically the liberalized trade helped fuel the temporary respite from normal economic reality. The rebuilding countries relied heavily on the US to supply them both to hold them over and to effect the rebuilding, thus giving the US a lopsided share of global exports during that period.
Gold reserves shot up as well during that period, since the rebuilding countries used it to get loans and such. The return of such was one of the many factors that eventually forced the end of the gold based system in the 1970's.

It also didn't help that in the 1970's that when the US was facing stiff competition from Germany and Japan, its equipment was thirty years old and less efficient the new stuff the later two possessed. I am sure those sky high tax rates, necessary to repay the war debt of course, had the ironic delayed effect of thus helping to push production off shore.

I find it ironic, that our Keynesian friends love to use history (and out of context history at that) to justify deviating from their own bible's dictates regarding taxes and the impact they have on the macro-economic situation.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #187 on: October 07, 2013, 12:20:48 PM »

Vote on Final Passage of the Fiscal Year 2014 White House Budget Resolution:

Aye (7): bore, Gass3268, Maxwell, Napoleon, NC Yankee, sbane and TNF
Nay (1): Tmthforu94
Abstain (0):

Didn't Vote (2): TJ in Cleve and Xahar

With seven votes in the affirmative, the budget has been passed and is sent to the administration for executive action.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #188 on: October 07, 2013, 12:22:50 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #189 on: October 15, 2013, 09:04:12 PM »

I didn't know that we have got an Atlasian National Broadcaster... :/
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies