Your hot button issue
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:13:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Your hot button issue
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Your hot button issue  (Read 11612 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2005, 02:35:26 PM »

Unfunded mandates from one unit of government to another.

All they do is make the larger entity look responsive and cost efficient. What they really do is pass the implementation details and costs onto units of government that then look bad because they have to fund the mandate, and somehow make decisions within the mandate that don't respond to the local constituents.
J.R. Brown
Rutzay
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2005, 04:51:32 PM »

I assume this means you think that women's rights are more important than men's rights?

No. But there are few (if any) female politicians who are openly anti-male. Therefore, men's rights does not need to be addressed the way women's rights does.

I think you're kidding yourself. Give up the left-wing propaganda and look at the truth. There are plenty of MALE politicians who are anti-male. John Kerry said "I'm going to put the legal system on the side of women." This is an outrageous statement.

And there are no organized anti-female groups as their are organized anti-male groups supporting the Democratic Party (groups like NOW). If you don't recognize these groups as anti-male, with an agenda that seeks to make us into second-class citizens because of that Y chromosone, then you truly have blinders on.

Someone needs to pick up a history book. Because according to you the declaration of independence and the constitution states that all men AND women are created equal. When in the history of this country have women not been treated like second-class citizens? Women are being discriminated against in this country, and if you cannot see that then you are the one with blinders on. Maybe men need to be second-class citizens for a while, just to feel what women have been put through for centuries.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2005, 05:04:24 PM »

I also don't care for the new rules for pluralization of latinate words.  I still think the plural of scrotum ought to be scrota, and the plural of apparatus ought to be apparati.  I remember I got into a big argument with the GRS advisor over the use of the word apparati in my dissertation.  So he whips out his Yuppie Dictionary and shows me how the New American Yuppie Dictionary or whatever that birdcage liner publication was to show me how it should be apparatuses.  ignorant shallow yuppies running the country.  What's next? Octopussies? Morons.
Viri instead of viruses?  Feti instead of fetuses?

How about the genitive?  Is it "the apparati's purpose" or "the apparatorum purpose"?  Or better yet, "purpose apparatorum"?

By the way, "octopus" is Greek, not Latin.  "Pus" means "foot" and the plural form is "podes" not "pi".  The correct plural forms would be "octopodes" (almost never used) or "octopuses" (or "octopusses", as in the "buses/busses" problem), but not "octopi".

Your dissertation annoyance is sympathized with, however.  My dissertation was changed to strictly passive voice to conform to the "proper" style.  This change was resisted, but the decision was made to conform so that my degree could be received.

Foeti, even

I'm actually a passive sort of guy, and actually had the opposite problem with my committee, who preferred the active voice.  Now that I'm on the other side of the desk, however, I can sympathize with having to find something wrong with what is really a perfect paper.  Wink

Wink
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2005, 10:46:35 PM »

1. Abortion
2. Communism

I despise all of those.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2005, 09:46:37 AM »

Heavy Metal Gospel Music.  I forgot how weird I thought that combination was till I was recently looking through some Nederlandse websites for another reason, came upon an article entitled "Hard and Holy; de geschiedenis van de Christelijke hardrock"

geschiendenis usually translates as "history"

and it reminded me of Stryper and all those 80s hair bands who bang on guitars and scream about God.  Weird stuff.

Not as offensive as bad grammar, but certainly one of those flavor combinations that Mother Nature really never intended.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2005, 10:59:23 AM »

sehr lustig Herr Tondheim

I'm serious, the internet has done for language skills what calculators have done for arithmetic skills.  You don't know how many times I have had to watch a student root around in a backback for ten minutes looking for a calculator so they can know the sum of seven and three.  It's really very frustrating.
Yeah, that is frustrating. I'm with you on that.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2005, 02:19:46 PM »

Someone needs to pick up a history book. Because according to you the declaration of independence and the constitution states that all men AND women are created equal. When in the history of this country have women not been treated like second-class citizens? Women are being discriminated against in this country, and if you cannot see that then you are the one with blinders on. Maybe men need to be second-class citizens for a while, just to feel what women have been put through for centuries.

Are you a man or a woman?  Are you telling me that you favor intentional discrimination against men?  In that case, you should join NOW.

The reality is this - there have always been benefits and drawbacks to being a man, as well as being a woman.  I don't buy the line that women had all the disadvantages in society, as you do.

Even if I did, two wrongs don't make a right.  We should fix things going forward, but I hate the mindset of the feminist movement and the whole diversity/multicultarism/sexism philosophy of seeing the world simply as advantaged and disadvantaged groups, and nothing more.
senatortombstone
Rookie

« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2005, 12:00:02 PM »

Are you a man or a woman?  Are you telling me that you favor intentional discrimination against men?  In that case, you should join NOW.

The reality is this - there have always been benefits and drawbacks to being a man, as well as being a woman.  I don't buy the line that women had all the disadvantages in society, as you do.

Even if I did, two wrongs don't make a right.  We should fix things going forward, but I hate the mindset of the feminist movement and the whole diversity/multicultarism/sexism philosophy of seeing the world simply as advantaged and disadvantaged groups, and nothing more.

I totally agree, it's as if everyone wants to jump on the victim bandwagon.  We've become a society of casturated cauterwhaling cry-babies.

wahhhhh!  my great-great-great-grandfather was a slave!! pity me, pay me!

If we just stopped all liberal/democratic handout policies and took away the onetary incentive of victimhood, this would all go away.

stop paying people to be pussies!
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2005, 12:06:04 PM »

I totally agree, it's as if everyone wants to jump on the victim bandwagon.  We've become a society of casturated cauterwhaling cry-babies.

If we just stopped all liberal/democratic handout policies and took away the onetary incentive of victimhood, this would all go away.

Do you live out near Carver county or those outer Hennepin places like Corcoran and Maple Grove? You remind me of the lunatics who live out in those areas. Although it's probably a good thing they live far out there and don't bother the sensible decent people who live in Minneapolis.
senatortombstone
Rookie

« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2005, 12:39:01 PM »

Do you live out near Carver county or those outer Hennepin places like Corcoran and Maple Grove? You remind me of the lunatics who live out in those areas. Although it's probably a good thing they live far out there and don't bother the sensible decent people who live in Minneapolis.

Actually I live in Minneapolis and I am trying to make it a better place by expressing my voice aginst what the perverts who write the City Pages say.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2005, 01:02:20 PM »

oh well, no place is perfect. At least the decent and sensible people there will never be swayed by you.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2005, 02:24:50 PM »

Amen, brother.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2005, 04:14:59 PM »

Nah, it wouldn't go away, you just wouldn't have to see it.  The descendants of slaves would be in their ghettos, and the women would be in the kitchen, and all would be right with the world. 

Of course in reality there are no 'handout policies', only people arguing that there should be.  So perhaps they're being incentivised less by the possibility of reward, and more because their current situation is so bad.
senatortombstone
Rookie

« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2005, 06:34:41 PM »

Nah, it wouldn't go away, you just wouldn't have to see it.  The descendants of slaves would be in their ghettos, and the women would be in the kitchen, and all would be right with the world. 

Of course in reality there are no 'handout policies', only people arguing that there should be.  So perhaps they're being incentivised less by the possibility of reward, and more because their current situation is so bad.

What's wrong with working in the kitchen?  My father-in-law is doctor and he works in the kitchen every night reparing dinner for his family.

People who live in ghettos make them ghettos.  Just because you're poor doesn't give you an excuse to turn your neighborhood into a crime-infested warzone.

In America there is no excuse for poverty.  There are opprunities everywhere.  If you don't believe just look in the Star Tribune's Job section.  25 pages every week of employers practically begging for work.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2005, 06:42:04 PM »

What's wrong with working in the kitchen?  My father-in-law is doctor and he works in the kitchen every night reparing dinner for his family.

The point is that was their only option.  It was a prison.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Poverty makes ghettos, and poverty makes crime. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Wow, talk about rose coloured glasses.  Most of the jobs that are eternally advertised in newspapers are of the subsistence level working poor variety - under $10/hr and no benefits.  The very few that are at a 'middle class' level require years of very expensive training which poor people cannot afford, and besides they're ineligable even if they could afford university due to economically segregated public schools.  There are opportunities in America - for the investment of capital, not for the working class.
senatortombstone
Rookie

« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2005, 01:59:39 AM »

The point is that was their only option.  It was a prison.

There is nothing dishonorable about working in a kitchen.  There is nothing more enjoyable in life than eating.  Being a cook is sacred trust.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2005, 08:21:01 AM »

There are opportunities in America - for the investment of capital, not for the working class.

Without investment of capital, the working class would have no jobs.  Roosevelt's class warfare of the 1930s, and his fight against capital, needlessly prolonged the depression, and inhibited investment that would have resulted in job creation.

Since you are only spending other people's capital on things like lady boys, I wouldn't expect you to have a strong grasp of these economic realities.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2005, 09:54:02 PM »

I have three hot button issues that bother me waaaaay more than they should:

1. The environment
2. Abortion
3. Native american rights
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2005, 06:11:18 AM »

Death penalty, abortion, affirmative action.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2005, 01:46:17 PM »

1. Abortion
2. Gun control
3. Economic stuff (Taxes, size of government, spending, ect.)
4. Criminal punishment
5. The Constitution
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2005, 01:51:37 PM »

Taxes, social security, and improving edcation (i.e lowering the involvement of the feds)

Oh, I should probably throw in something liberal, too.

Getting rid of the death penalty. There we go.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2005, 02:13:51 PM »

1.Taxes
2.Balanced Budget
3.Unemployment
4.The Death Penalty
5.Gun Control
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2005, 02:25:37 PM »

1. Taxes (more brackets)
2.  Balanced Budget
3.  Military Funding (higher salaries for troops, more high-paying research opportunities, more intelligence funding)
4.  LONG-TERM Energy Independence
5.  Education (more opportunities for low-income and rural children, vocational retraining for people that have lost their jobs)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2005, 01:01:37 AM »

water, guns, equality of opportunity in health and education, and the death penalty.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2005, 09:32:30 PM »

1. How America should deal with terrorism

2. Economic policies that hurt the middle class

3. Gay Marriage

4. The seat belt law (SO unconstitutional)

5. Any issue that has the Bible-waving jackasses outside the courthouse
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies