Married Same-Sex Couples With Kids See IRS Tabs Rising
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:17:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Married Same-Sex Couples With Kids See IRS Tabs Rising
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Married Same-Sex Couples With Kids See IRS Tabs Rising  (Read 1066 times)
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 12, 2013, 10:23:41 AM »
« edited: August 12, 2013, 10:32:40 AM by jaichind »

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-12/married-same-sex-couples-with-kids-see-irs-tabs-rising.html

Married same-sex couples with children may face higher bills from the IRS as recent Supreme Court rulings start playing out in the tax code.
The increase probably would result from phasing out income tax credits for families, depending on the distribution of income between two working spouses, now that same-sex couples will be required to file joint returns with the Internal Revenue Service, according to a Congressional Research Service report.

-------------------------------------------------------

I guess now that DOMA is gone, high two income LGBT couples now will face the same marriage penalty that I and many other high income couples face.  I guess equity will come with a price (in this case extra taxes).  I always dreamed of having a fake divorce with my wife yet live togeather with our child.  We will save many tens of thousands of dollars.  But the social cost would be so too high in terms of work, school and personal life aside from the fact that my wife will not agree to a scheme like this anyway, even though she is quite an utilitarian like myself.  For now it is just a dream that i drool over the the money I can claw back from the government.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 10:32:31 AM »
« Edited: August 12, 2013, 10:35:54 AM by CTRattlesnake »

'Money I can claw back from the government"

Amen
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 10:56:07 AM »

Yes, I'm not sure what the impact will be on me. My partner and I have comparable incomes so our taxes will definitely go up on that count, but I will save more than $1,000 annually on income taxes on health care benefits. So, worse for him. Wink
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 12:15:03 PM »

Yes, I'm not sure what the impact will be on me. My partner and I have comparable incomes so our taxes will definitely go up on that count, but I will save more than $1,000 annually on income taxes on health care benefits. So, worse for him. Wink

It would depend.   Somtimes equal income leads to marriage bonus or penalty depending on what that income is.  The way AMT and the marginal tax rates works relative to filing as joint or seperately is the biggest factor in my view.  See

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 01:27:38 PM »

I'm looking at Jai's graph. I doubt there are many households, where both people work and income is still less than $25k. Most people in that demo don't pay any income tax anyway, whether they are married or not. So the penalty in that corner is largely theoretical. And then you have the sad case of the millionnaires. Who chose to get married. And now have to be treated like every other millionnaire couple. I feel so bad for their financial situation Roll Eyes
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 02:54:14 PM »

I'm looking at Jai's graph. I doubt there are many households, where both people work and income is still less than $25k. Most people in that demo don't pay any income tax anyway, whether they are married or not. So the penalty in that corner is largely theoretical.

Perhaps it applies to an EITC penalty instead of bonus?

Thank you for that graph jaichind.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 12:18:18 AM »

I'm looking at Jai's graph. I doubt there are many households, where both people work and income is still less than $25k. Most people in that demo don't pay any income tax anyway, whether they are married or not. So the penalty in that corner is largely theoretical. And then you have the sad case of the millionnaires. Who chose to get married. And now have to be treated like every other millionnaire couple. I feel so bad for their financial situation Roll Eyes

Obviously the tax laws tend to favor married people over single people
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 06:59:42 AM »

So abolish marriage, don't expand it.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 08:00:56 AM »

Much more substantially, the tax laws favor people with children. Parents, whether needy or not, are the real welfare queens. And I don't really have a problem with that. I think the nation should go the extra mile to help households with children, but I wish people were more grounded regarding who is taking money from the government. Perhaps we should have a debate about whether parents should have to take a drug test in order to claim the child tax credit.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 01:24:42 PM »

ITT: rich people tears.

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 01:30:51 PM »

Well then, I guess this whole civil rights thing just wasn't worth it.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 04:21:13 PM »

I always dreamed of having a fake divorce with my wife yet live togeather with our child.  We will save many tens of thousands of dollars.  But the social cost would be so too high in terms of work, school and personal life aside from the fact that my wife will not agree to a scheme like this anyway, even though she is quite an utilitarian like myself.  For now it is just a dream that i drool over the the money I can claw back from the government.

This is really a very enlightening view into a certain mindset.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 06:39:42 PM »

I always dreamed of having a fake divorce with my wife yet live togeather with our child.  We will save many tens of thousands of dollars.  But the social cost would be so too high in terms of work, school and personal life aside from the fact that my wife will not agree to a scheme like this anyway, even though she is quite an utilitarian like myself.  For now it is just a dream that i drool over the the money I can claw back from the government.

True romantics those libertarians, eh?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 06:54:16 PM »

True romantics those libertarians, eh?

that could almost be the second or third paragraph to a 3.75-star story on Literotica.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 03:36:57 AM »

Oh so now gays suddenly don't want to get married now that they're learning about the marriage penalty tax. I hope they're happy with what they've gotten themselves into. You can't have it both ways. If gays want to get married, then they should pay the marriage penalty tax. Next the Democrats will want to eliminate the marriage penalty tax just for gays. They never cease to amaze me.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 03:51:51 AM »

Oh so now gays suddenly don't want to get married now that they're learning about the marriage penalty tax. I hope they're happy with what they've gotten themselves into. You can't have it both ways. If gays want to get married, then they should pay the marriage penalty tax. Next the Democrats will want to eliminate the marriage penalty tax just for gays. They never cease to amaze me.

Your act is getting ... a little tiring.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 04:02:08 AM »

Basically.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 11:39:06 PM »

Your act is getting ... a little tiring.

Perhaps we could get you on board for the fair tax?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 11:46:05 PM »

Reminds of this WSJ editorial page classic:

SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 10:57:07 AM »

Next the Democrats will want to eliminate the marriage penalty tax just for gays.
Sounds like a pretty good idea actually. Smiley
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 11:18:42 AM »

What's wrong with you? Like, seriously: Why are you like this?
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 03:03:42 PM »

Well that's what this is about. Equality. People went with the emotional aspects in promoting SSM rather than the political ones.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 09:52:01 PM »

You take me too seriously sometimes. Couples should be treated equal whether gay or straight. It's fun to pick on the other side. If you can't laugh then you shouldn't be in politics.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2013, 10:09:16 AM »

You take me too seriously sometimes. Couples should be treated equal whether gay or straight. It's fun to pick on the other side. If you can't laugh then you shouldn't be in politics.

That is your problem - you'd rather antagonize than contribute to the discussion. Which is why I don't bother engaging with you.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies