How much of the white vote in these Southern cities did Obama receive in 2008?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:26:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How much of the white vote in these Southern cities did Obama receive in 2008?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How much of the white vote in these Southern cities did Obama receive in 2008?  (Read 910 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 12, 2013, 10:54:28 AM »

We all know pretty well at this forum that Southern whites are quite conservative, with blacks providing the bulk of Democratic voters in many areas.  How much of this is a rural/suburban phenomenon?  How liberal are whites in the cities proper?  Is there a big difference?

Estimate how much of the white vote Obama received in 2008 (when there were exit polls for all states) in the following Southern cities:

Austin, TX
Dallas, TX
Houston, TX
New Orleans, LA
Birmingham, AL
Atlanta, GA
Jacksonville, FL
Charlotte, NC
Raleigh, NC
Nashville, TN
Memphis, TN

I would guess that Obama won the white vote only in Austin and maybe Raleigh.  He could easily have received less than 1/3 of white voters in Jacksonville and Memphis, and less than 1/4 in Birmingham.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 12:05:09 PM »

A while ago in DRA, I made a district of all the white-majority precincts in Orleans Parish; Obama won them by something like 57-41.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 12:26:41 PM »

A while ago in DRA, I made a district of all the white-majority precincts in Orleans Parish; Obama won them by something like 57-41.

Wow, that's certainly distinguishes the city limits of New Orleans from the rest of the Louisiana, since Obama received only 14% of the white vote statewide.  I knew that Orleans was quite different, but I didn't know that the contrast was that stark. 
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 12:38:07 PM »

Wow, that's certainly distinguishes the city limits of New Orleans from the rest of the Louisiana, since Obama received only 14% of the white vote statewide.  I knew that Orleans was quite different, but I didn't know that the contrast was that stark. 

Well the neighborhood where I'm from (in western Orleans Parish) is virtually all white and votes like the rest of the state. My neighborhood is much more the exception that the rule though. There is a good number of white liberal precincts downtown where he got 65-75%.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 09:16:19 PM »

Obama received 80.7% of the overall vote in Atlanta. If we assume non-whites went for Obama 90/10 (very likely considering the demographic weight of AAs; 51% of population versus 9% for other non-whites), then Obama would have received about 66% of the white vote in 2008.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 01:34:41 AM »
« Edited: August 13, 2013, 01:38:04 AM by GM Griffin »

I should probably mention that the numbers above (and below) are inferred from DR data solely. In most cases, I'd think 2008 was a relatively good year in terms of electorate resembling VAP, or as good as it could get given the circumstances. Estimates shouldn't be off by any large amount, so...

Atlanta, GA: 65-70%
New Orleans, LA: 55-60%
Raleigh, NC: 50-55%

Charlotte, NC: 40-45%
Nashville, TN: 40-45%
Birmingham, AL: 30-35%
Memphis, TN: 25-30%
Jacksonville, FL: 20-25%
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 11:16:08 PM »

Based on what I calculated off DRA, it is more like 44-48% in the city of Nashville. It is important to remember that not all of Davidson County is Nashville, and the parts that aren't Nashville are usually very Republican.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 05:33:08 AM »

Based on what I calculated off DRA, it is more like 44-48% in the city of Nashville. It is important to remember that not all of Davidson County is Nashville, and the parts that aren't Nashville are usually very Republican.

Well darn. Sad It looked fishy but I didn't really want to try to splice it all together not knowing the exact circumstances. Augusta and Columbus are the same way - what about Jacksonville?

From what I gather, everyone in Duval County (including the four other municipalities) still gets to vote in Jacksonville elections and receives select public services from the city.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies