Opinion of Ray Kelly
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:57:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Ray Kelly
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: NYPD Commissioner
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: Opinion of Ray Kelly  (Read 899 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 12, 2013, 08:27:11 PM »

Based on today's ruling on stop-and-frisk.

HP, of course. (that was too tempting to not post, sorry)
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 08:38:12 PM »

HP who got the smackdown that he deserved today.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 08:41:19 PM »

real-life fascist.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 08:20:06 AM »

Probably your next Fatherland Security Secretary.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 08:22:16 AM »

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 08:37:06 AM »

HP.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 08:50:40 AM »

Probably your next Fatherland Security Secretary.
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 12:44:08 PM »

I may legitimately bugger off out of the country if he becomes SHS.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 01:27:30 PM »

seems like a good guy. 
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 08:25:35 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2013, 08:49:45 PM by bedstuy »

It's easy for upper middle class white liberals to criticize some of these policing strategies, because they never had to live in the South Bronx or East Flatbush.  They would be fine going back to the days when the NYPD didn't event try to police large parts of NYC.  But, believe me, it's certainly better to have overzealous cops than gangs killing kids left and right.

While I would have liked more community policing and a less stop-and-frisk tactics and slavish devotion to crime stats, he's done a good job overall.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 08:47:33 PM »

It's easy for upper middle class white liberals to criticize some of these policing strategies, because they never had to live in the South Bronx or East Flatbush.  They would be fine going back to the days when the NYPD didn't event try to police large parts of NYC.  But, believe me, it's certainly better to have overzealous cops than gangs killing kids left and right.

While I would have liked more community policing and a less stop-and-frisk tactics and slavish devotion to crime states, he's done a good job overall.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 08:50:05 PM »

It's easy for upper middle class white liberals to criticize some of these policing strategies, because they never had to live in the South Bronx or East Flatbush.  They would be fine going back to the days when the NYPD didn't event try to police large parts of NYC.  But, believe me, it's certainly better to have overzealous cops than gangs killing kids left and right.

While I would have liked more community policing and a less stop-and-frisk tactics and slavish devotion to crime states, he's done a good job overall.

Except that stop and frisk has just about nothing to do with the drop in crime in NYC.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 09:04:23 PM »

Except that stop and frisk has just about nothing to do with the drop in crime in NYC.

Did I say that Stop-and-Frisk was the key policy in reducing crime?  Even so, how do you know that it has done nothing to reduce crime?   

And, it's not like the range of policing strategies is either: stop-and-frisk, or not.  I'm not an expert on this stuff, but I do see NYPD policing first-hand.  The more active presence of cops under Kelly seems to have worked in my neighborhood.  I don't see cops harassing people at random, but I do see a more active, responsive NYPD.  Certainly, NYC is safer than comparable American cities. 
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 10:44:08 PM »

Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 11:27:22 PM »

It's easy for upper middle class white liberals to criticize some of these policing strategies, because they never had to live in the South Bronx or East Flatbush.

Yes, because I'm sure that people in the South Bronx strongly support stop and frisk Roll Eyes
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 11:55:42 PM »

It's easy for upper middle class white liberals to criticize some of these policing strategies, because they never had to live in the South Bronx or East Flatbush.

Yes, because I'm sure that people in the South Bronx strongly support stop and frisk Roll Eyes

You'd be surprised.  When crime is out of control in your neighborhood, you tend to value public safety over legal technicalities.  There is not a great relationship between cops and the residents of these neighborhoods, sure.  But, most of them have not been stopped by police, yet they have seen the murder rate down 80-90% under Ray Kelly. 
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 12:11:42 AM »

aka constitutional rights.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 12:24:25 AM »

You'd be surprised.  When crime is out of control in your neighborhood, you tend to value public safety over legal technicalities.  There is not a great relationship between cops and the residents of these neighborhoods, sure.  But, most of them have not been stopped by police, yet they have seen the murder rate down 80-90% under Ray Kelly.  

First of all, the idea that this is a "legal technicality" is ridiculously removed from people's actual experiences. This is about being able to trust the people who are supposed to be protecting you and being able to live without automatically being labeled a suspect because of the color of your skin. That's not a "technicality".

Secondly:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/16/stop-and-frisk-poll-shows-nypd-racially-divided_n_1788576.html

The idea that "upper-middle class white liberals" are the main opponents of stop and frisk is idiotic and the exact opposite of reality. The wealthy white liberals who support[ed] Bloomberg are very much in favor of this practice, which is exactly why it has support in as liberal a city as NYC.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 12:37:02 AM »

You'd be surprised.  When crime is out of control in your neighborhood, you tend to value public safety over legal technicalities.  There is not a great relationship between cops and the residents of these neighborhoods, sure.  But, most of them have not been stopped by police, yet they have seen the murder rate down 80-90% under Ray Kelly.  

First of all, the idea that this is a "legal technicality" is ridiculously removed from people's actual experiences. This is about being able to trust the people who are supposed to be protecting you and being able to live without automatically being labeled a suspect because of the color of your skin. That's not a "technicality".

Secondly:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/16/stop-and-frisk-poll-shows-nypd-racially-divided_n_1788576.html

The idea that "upper-middle class white liberals" are the main opponents of stop and frisk is idiotic and the exact opposite of reality. The wealthy white liberals who support[ed] Bloomberg are very much in favor of this practice, which is exactly why it has support in as liberal a city as NYC.

It's worth noting that support for stop-and-frisk is almost as high among Hispanics (53 percent) than it is among whites (57 percent).

And I would be willing to bet, actually, that "wealthy white liberals" actually support it at much, much lower clips than whites in the city at large, ergo apparently at lower clips than Hispanics. The white population of NYC includes more conservative and moderate areas than you would expect at first blush: add up Staten Island, southern Brooklyn, northeastern Queens, and together you have more people than Manhattan, most of whom are white non-liberals who probably support stop-and-frisk at rather gaudy rates.

The real base of support for these policies isn't to be found on the Upper East Side, but neither is it to be found in Brownsville.  It's to be found in Bensonhurst.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 12:37:53 AM »

Secondly:

That whole racial angle is overblown.

There are neighborhoods where a lot of stop and frisk takes place.  There aren't any white people in those neighborhoods.  Do you think cops are just stopping random people?  
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 12:44:38 AM »

Did I say that Stop-and-Frisk was the key policy in reducing crime?  Even so, how do you know that it has done nothing to reduce crime?   

And, it's not like the range of policing strategies is either: stop-and-frisk, or not.  I'm not an expert on this stuff, but I do see NYPD policing first-hand.  The more active presence of cops under Kelly seems to have worked in my neighborhood.  I don't see cops harassing people at random, but I do see a more active, responsive NYPD.  Certainly, NYC is safer than comparable American cities. 

Sure, there are other policing strategies, I know that.  They're not getting the heat that stop-and-frisk does, because they are not prima facie racist and horrible (and, yes, the stats are quite clear that stop-and-frisk is racist).  I'm sure many of those other policing strategies are better, which is why I'm not talking about them.

But, of course, I'm pretty deeply skeptical that policing strategies can make much of a difference besides tinkering around the margins.  The drop in crime- which has been nationwide, not just in NYC- really owes more than anything else to getting rid of leaded gasoline.  It's not the only factor, okay, but it's really the major one.  But of course everyone focuses on policing methods because people who work in law enforcement have an (entirely understandable) bias towards explanations that make them the hero.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 12:49:31 AM »

Sure, there are other policing strategies, I know that.  They're not getting the heat that stop-and-frisk does, because they are not prima facie racist and horrible (and, yes, the stats are quite clear that stop-and-frisk is racist).  I'm sure many of those other policing strategies are better, which is why I'm not talking about them.

But, of course, I'm pretty deeply skeptical that policing strategies can make much of a difference besides tinkering around the margins.  The drop in crime- which has been nationwide, not just in NYC- really owes more than anything else to getting rid of leaded gasoline.  It's not the only factor, okay, but it's really the major one.  But of course everyone focuses on policing methods because people who work in law enforcement have an (entirely understandable) bias towards explanations that make them the hero.

How is stop-and-frisk clearly racist?  Policing happens where the crime is.  The high crime areas are the black and Hispanic neighborhoods.  Should we take cops off Alabama Avenue to put them on Park Avenue to not be racist?  And, the fact is that most of the crime committed in NYC is committed by blacks and Hispanics.  So, just looking at the stop and frisk stats is not clear evidence in my book. 
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 12:58:49 AM »

How is stop-and-frisk clearly racist?  Policing happens where the crime is.  The high crime areas are the black and Hispanic neighborhoods.  Should we take cops off Alabama Avenue to put them on Park Avenue to not be racist?  And, the fact is that most of the crime committed in NYC is committed by blacks and Hispanics.  So, just looking at the stop and frisk stats is not clear evidence in my book. 

No, it's racist using statistics that control for just that very fact, as it so turns out:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/johncassidy/2013/08/scheindlin-stop-and-frisk-verdict-new-york-statistical-debate.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The bolded part is really key here.  The fact that minorities are being roughed up more, and let go more because they didn't actually do anything wrong, is entirely consistent with and the obvious consequence of a policy that is engaging in racial profiling: stop lots of browns no matter what, only stop whites when you have a good reason.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 01:12:26 AM »

Some of those geographic statistical points are a little bit misleading.  White people who live in black neighborhoods aren't living in NYCHA housing projects or running with gangs.  So, it's less often that cops have reason to stop white people in black neighborhoods.

On the larger point, NYPD cops are racist!  Of course!  They're dumb rednecks and meatheads who treat everyone like crap.  That's not attributable to stop and frisk.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies