City rivalries?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:10:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  City rivalries?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: City rivalries?  (Read 3472 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 12:53:05 AM »

New York is above considering any American city its worthy rival.  Tongue

Boston probably comes closest, because of the Red Sox and Patriots, and Philly a clear but distant second on the sports front.  If you're talking about more incohate cultural factors, I would say DC and San Fran actually loom much larger in our eyes than LA and Chicago.  LA is not really what we would consider a "city", and Chicago is just that odd place that operates under the collective delusion that upside-down tomato casserole is somehow "pizza", which of course it is not.

When I lived in Philly, we definitely considered NYC to be our main rival in everything.  Pittsburgh was mostly an afterthought, except when it came to hockey I guess.  And upside-down tomato casserole was still, of course, an object of well-deserved derision.

And yet Chicago is so much more American than New York.. which is increasingly unique... and unrepresentative of the nation as a whole.

Are you really trying to play the "Real American" card here?  For shame.
I guess I am, if you wanna define it that way.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2013, 08:41:05 PM »

The only one who thinks Cleveland vs. Cincinnati is a rivalry is MLB. No one in either city has the slightest issue with the other winning, in fact we tend to root for each other against anyone else. Cleveland and Cincinnati view each other like brothers, maybe there's some excitement of playing each other but I wouldn't really call it a rivalry. Now Cleveland-Pittsburgh on the other hand, we're out for blood Wink.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies