The future of the two parties (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:44:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The future of the two parties (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The future of the two parties  (Read 5918 times)
hopper
United States

« on: August 15, 2013, 12:28:32 PM »

I see the GOP becoming more reform minded by the time the 2024 Presidential Elections come around. The GOP will calm its rhetoric on social issues. The Tea Party influence will be gone by 2020 but not in time to knock off the Dems for the White House. I do think the Dems will win with Hillary in 2016 based on demography alone if Christie is the GOP nominee. Christie will be tough in the "Rust Belt" but I don't think he will beat Hillary in the end.
hopper
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 01:01:06 AM »

I think Republicans for the next ten years will continue to become more extreme, culminating in a McGovernesque loss. Then, they will probably move toward the center on social issues, and POSSIBLY a little bit on economic issues.

Pipe dream, the modern democratic party is almost as extreme.
The Dems are left-wing while the Republicans are on the hard-right.  The Moderates are extinct. Its like if you are a Moderate what party should you vote for.
hopper
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 01:16:21 PM »

I think Republicans for the next ten years will continue to become more extreme

Pipe dream, the modern democratic party is almost as extreme.

+ Why should the republican party get more moderate while the democratic party doesn't? Because they're having problems electorally? That's basically asking them to surrender. The democratic party didn't get more moderate after losing 3 presidential elections in a row, they found a way to appeal.

The Dems are left-wing while the Republicans are on the hard-right.  The Moderates are extinct. Its like if you are a Moderate what party should you vote for.

You guys are just silly - the Democratic party is not left wing - its precisely moderate to even center right!  It has always been a centrist party, and has never had any real left wing bent, and particularly not since the 1980s.
What I meant to say and maybe should have said is the Dems are to far to the left on economic issues while the Republicans are on the extreme right. Nutty Tea Party wing and the Fox News Arm to a lesser extent drove Republicans to the extreme right after 2010. The country is in the center when it comes to economic issues not left of center(Moderate Liberalism) or on the extreme right.

I like the Dems when they had Clinton he had the right policies for the right time period.
hopper
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 01:20:17 PM »

If not, the Democrats will probably narrowly keep the senate and the white house in 2014 and 2016 but by 2020, the Republicans will probably take full control when they convince enough young rural people and moderate minorities to bring back the Bush coalition the way Clinton did with the New Dealers in the 90s.

Bush didn't have a coalition. He had a few Tea Party whack-a-doodles who he got to stamp the floor.
The Tea Party wasn't around in 2000 or 2004. I think it first maybe appeared in 2007 when the Tea Party started but it didn't blow up popularity wise till April 15th, 2009(tax day of that year.)
hopper
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 01:26:40 PM »

What I meant to say and maybe should have said is the Dems are to far to the left on economic issues while the Republicans are on the extreme right. Nutty Tea Party wing and the Fox News Arm to a lesser extent drove Republicans to the extreme right after 2010. The country is in the center when it comes to economic issues not left of center(Moderate Liberalism) or on the extreme right.

I like the Dems when they had Clinton he had the right policies for the right time period.

But the Democrats are centrist to center-right on economic issues, hopper.
I'm just not buying that though currently. Maybe with Clinton they might have been but not now.
hopper
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 01:27:58 PM »

The Tea Party wasn't around in 2000 or 2004.

They were around under the name "values voters" and such.
Yeah but the Tea Party name and brand wasn't organized then.
hopper
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 01:40:24 AM »

We're off topic. Again I see the Republicans continuing to nominate moderate populists like McCain, Romney, Christie, and my kind of guys. Democrats seem like they'll be taking more chances. Despite a terrific performance, early on his ideology was scary.
Christie is rated as a "Moderate Populist" by ontheissues.org yes. McCain is rated as a "Hard-Core Conservative" and Romney was rated as a Populist-leaning Conservative by on theissues.org. Yes Romney was only rated as 60% conservative on economic issues(moderate, right of center) but was rated only 8% liberal on social issues(pretty conservative.)

The Democrats are getting old I mean who do they have to run for Prez after Hillary? Duval Patrick or Corey Booker? I could see Booker running but not Duval. I know demography wise the electorate is going their way but their future presidential candidates don't  look as good as the Republicans. I actually said something positive about the R's for once!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies