Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2017, 04:58:42 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Election 2016 predictions are now open!.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: TexasGurl, Torie, Vice President PiT)
| | |-+  What will the Republican nominee support Obamacare?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: What will the Republican nominee support Obamacare?  (Read 912 times)
Harry
YaBB God
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islan

View Profile
« on: August 13, 2013, 11:15:29 pm »
Ignore

If Democrats when in 2016, I think it's quite plausible that the 2020 Republican nominee will be singing its praises.
Maxwell
mah519
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 11:32:08 pm »
Ignore

I don't think that's a probable chance, at least within the decade. Maybe 2028 at the earliest.

○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 12:26:02 am »
Ignore

Whenever "Keep Government out of my ObamaCare" signs become common.

anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 12:39:19 am »
Ignore

No. A GOP nominee could not reverse the party's stance on a policy that they opposed so vehemently for so long.  Social stances will change quickly, but not ones on health care, because it involves such a large share of our economic activity and will be such a drawn-out demographic explosion.  And much of the core of the program could possibly unravel by then, requiring either large-scale or wholesale change anyway.  The political wars over health care in America is not over, not by a long shot.  And they shouldn't be.  We need much more fundamental reforms than we've gotten so far.  
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 01:21:05 am by anvi »Logged

"Viewed from the genuine abolition ground, Mr. Lincoln seemed tardy, cold, dull, and indifferent; but measuring him by the sentiment of his country, a sentiment he was bound as a statesman to consult, he was swift, zealous, radical, and determined."  Frederick Douglass
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 01:17:37 am »
Ignore

If a Republican candidate wins, but doesn't have the political juice to repeal Obamacare, I'm fairly sure the Republican nominee after that will shift to supporting it, since there wouldn't be enough support to repeal it.
ElectionsGuy
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: -7.30

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 01:38:45 am »
Ignore

To start speaking about a law that gets majority disapproval nationwide, that republicans will  eventually support? This thing will collapse before any republican supports it.
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
YaBB God
Mexico

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 01:41:23 am »
Ignore

Whenever "Keep Government out of my ObamaCare" signs become common.

Bernie would probably win Vermont if Obama were deemed to have more than 272 evs in the vag.
Joe Republic
YaBB God
Kiribati

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 04:16:28 am »
Ignore

What makes you think the Republicans will start supporting it even if it works and becomes popular?  They haven't shown much of a similar attitude to other such programs (e.g. Medicare, Social Security), or at least not in recent years.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 05:32:16 am »
Ignore

I seriously doubt ObamaCare will still be an issue in 2020, or at least one that the Republican base cares about.

TNF
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 06:57:55 am »
Ignore

Rhetorically, no, but if a Republican wins in 2016, you can bet he'll expand the program to give his buddies in the health insurance industry more customers and more dollars. Obamacare is a Republican proposal, so I doubt the GOP will be too mad about it once they actually get in power.
Harry
YaBB God
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 07:22:02 am »
Ignore

What makes you think the Republicans will start supporting it even if it works and becomes popular?  They haven't shown much of a similar attitude to other such programs (e.g. Medicare, Social Security), or at least not in recent years.

For decades, all Republican nominees have supported keeping those programs.

If a Republican candidate wins, but doesn't have the political juice to repeal Obamacare, I'm fairly sure the Republican nominee after that will shift to supporting it, since there wouldn't be enough support to repeal it.

Once an unpopular program starts getting good results, people flock to supporting it.  And remember, at least 2 of the top 3 2012 Republican candidates (Romney, Gingrich -- not sure about Santorum) in 2008 explicitly supported an Obamacare-like program until 2009, so it's not like this would be a huge monumental shift.
Senator R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.13

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 08:28:03 am »
Ignore

They won't support Obamacare, they'll come up with a European-type plan, claim it's original, and label it as theirs.

Vosem
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: -6.26

P P

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 09:41:35 am »
Ignore

As late as 1952, Robert Taft ran a campaign for the Presidency on an explicitly anti-New Deal platform and would probably have been elected if Eisenhower had decided not to run. So, assuming Obamacare is as successful as the New Deal programs were in terms of public opinion (which in my mind is a doubtful proposition, but for the sake of argument let's assume), then sometime around 2030 should be the breaking point where forces within the Republican Party that support it are more powerful than those against. But to be honest, I doubt Obamacare will survive that long because the overwhelming odds are that the next Republican President will be elected before 2030, and he will use every inch of his power in Congress and in the executive branch to mutilate Obamacare as thoroughly as is possible.

I will NOT be accepting any result other than a victory for America's next President, Governor Gary Earl Johnson Angry
Torie
YaBB God
Samoa

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 11:06:28 am »

Nah, the Pubs love both programs now, and in fact in a rather demogogic way, dissed the Dems for putting both programs at risk (e.g., "looting" funds from Medicare to pay for Obamacare).
PR
Progressive Realist
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 01:08:03 pm »
Ignore

Nah, the Pubs love both programs now, and in fact in a rather demogogic way, dissed the Dems for putting both programs at risk (e.g., "looting" funds from Medicare to pay for Obamacare).

They love welfare programs that benefit them.
afleitch
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -8.17

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 01:11:01 pm »
Ignore

No. He (and it'll be a he) will also oppose gay rights, believe climate change is man made and tacitly allow people to say incredulous things about women. And he will loose. The shiny new Republican candidate in 2020 will also say the same things and also loose. At that point the party might re-evaluate itself by dragging itself into the 1990's.

King
intermoderate
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 01:46:25 pm »
Ignore

"Businesses and the American people have come together to make Obamacare work despite it's obvious limitations.  Elect me President and we will work together as Americans to streamline the system with sensible deregulation and new freedoms."

Joe Republic
YaBB God
Kiribati

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 01:55:07 pm »
Ignore

Indeed, Republicans love Medicare so much they haven't tried to abolish it since waaaay back in March 2013.
Torie
YaBB God
Samoa

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 03:18:40 pm »

Indeed, Republicans love Medicare so much they haven't tried to abolish it since waaaay back in March 2013.

I take it Joe that you mean the Ryan plan, which he revised so that folks down the line would not find out that the money provided was insufficient to avoid bankruptcy or death (by tying the payment to the cost of services, rather than a nominal dollar amount adjusted for inflation as per his initial proposal), and which proposal in any event, caused team Boehner et al. to run screaming to the exits.
shua
YaBB God
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: -4.52

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 08:19:13 pm »
Ignore

No. He (and it'll be a he) will also oppose gay rights, believe climate change is man made and tacitly allow people to say incredulous things about women. And he will loose. The shiny new Republican candidate in 2020 will also say the same things and also loose. At that point the party might re-evaluate itself by dragging itself into the 1990's.
You mean they'll finally nominate Gingrich?
National Progressive
General Mung Beans
YaBB God
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 09:34:21 pm »
Ignore

Either 2020 or 2024.

memphis
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 11:22:29 pm »
Ignore

The real problem for the Republicans is that the healthcare laws breaks their meme that the government can't do anything to help people. Once people realize that their lives are materially better because of government action, the GOP's entire nihilist premise gets thrown out the window.

I cannot do anything good under my own power. 
I don't want my women talking to people
National Progressive
General Mung Beans
YaBB God
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 02:26:00 am »
Ignore

The real problem for the Republicans is that the healthcare laws breaks their meme that the government can't do anything to help people. Once people realize that their lives are materially better because of government action, the GOP's entire nihilist premise gets thrown out the window.

It already ought to have been disproven by the New Deal.

barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2013, 03:03:36 am »
Ignore

Have Democrats forgotten how unpopular Obamacare was? I have news. Obamacare wasn't the reason Obama got re-elected. There were other reasons. Once Obamacare goes into effect, the public will be even more against it. If anything the Republicans will be more opposed when they hear the outcry for help from the American public. Nice fantasy though.

Immortal Sockhead
memphis
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 04:29:39 am »
Ignore

It already ought to have been disproven by the New Deal.
People who remember the New Deal have long since assumed room temperature.

I cannot do anything good under my own power. 
I don't want my women talking to people
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout