Senate Bill: Death With Dignity Act (Enacted)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:59:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Bill: Death With Dignity Act (Enacted)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Senate Bill: Death With Dignity Act (Enacted)  (Read 1227 times)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 16, 2013, 09:26:46 AM »
« edited: August 23, 2013, 10:01:29 AM by DemPGH, V.P. »

Death with Dignity Act

1. Terminally ill, competent, adult residents of the Republic of Atlasia medically predicted to die within six months shall have the right to request and self-administer lethal medication prescribed by a licensed physician.
2. Those requesting lethal medication shall be required to present one written and two oral requests for said medication. The patient in question shall be required to have a diagnosis of terminal illness and be judged competent by no less than two licensed physicians, as well as required to observe a waiting period, and a physician verification of an informed patient decision.
3. Physicians and patients acting in good faith, that is, acting within the parameters of this legislation, shall have criminal and civil immunity for actions undertaken.
4. There shall be a 15 day waiting period between the first oral request and a written request; there shall be a 48 hour waiting period between the written request and the writing of the prescription.
5. Written requests for lethal medication must be signed by two independent witnesses, at least one of whom is not related to the patient or employed by the health care facility in question.
6. Patients may change their mind at any time and rescind the request.
7. The attending physician may sign the patient's death certificate which must list the underlying terminal disease as the cause of death.
8. The cost of all lethal medications shall be covered under the provisions of the Atlasian National Health Program.

Sponsor: Senator TNF
Slot: Executive

At your convenience you may advocate for the bill, Senator!
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 03:22:43 PM »

The right of death with dignity is one that I was surprised to learn that Atlasia did not already permit it's citizens. This bill is modeled on Washington's successful initiative to provide a framework for death with dignity for those requesting it, and I think that it's a framework which can work for all Atlasians. These decisions should not be undertaken lightly, and I am willing to consider amendments that would further the goal of allowing Atlasians the choice to end their lives in a dignified manner if they so choose, but I am not willing to forfeit this fundamental choice, this right of bodily autonomy.

I'm open for questions. Let's get down to business.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 03:33:25 PM »

I like that inclusion of civil/legal immunity, as I think that is an essential component to have.

I am really torn on this concept I must say.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 03:58:05 PM »

Does all doctors have to participate in this?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 06:39:12 PM »

I don't think so and if not, I will support the bill.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 07:02:56 PM »

I don't think so and if not, I will support the bill.

Me too. I won't support if all doctors have to do. A doctor objecting to it is perfectly understandable.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 06:24:28 AM »

I would recommend including that in the text.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 06:53:31 AM »

I would definitely support this.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 02:39:47 PM »

I don't see a conceivable way I could end up supporting this, but the question I'd like to ask is why should this be a federal issue rather than a regional one as it has been previously treated?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 03:28:31 PM »

I don't see how a physician could be forced to do this, but I agree they shouldn't be. I also think that the many precautions that TNF has inserted should assuage anyone's concerns or fears or nightmare scenarios; it is a fundamental and humanitarian measure related to one's health. I don't see why a terminally ill individual should be forced to suffer when that person does not wish to and has come to terms with the situation and the fact that we're all very finite.

I think the federal gov't should take the lead here because we are talking about extending a right through an extremely difficult choice that concerns personal health. I think it's best to handle something like that federally, and handle it correctly, so that all people have the right in question. 
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 11:26:16 PM »

No, and I'm not exactly sure why anyone would assume they would. We don't expect every doctor to carry out abortions, for instance. If it would please the Senator or at least assuage any fears stemming from this proposal, I would be willing to introduce an amendment making that explicit.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 06:12:22 AM »

No, and I'm not exactly sure why anyone would assume they would. We don't expect every doctor to carry out abortions, for instance. If it would please the Senator or at least assuage any fears stemming from this proposal, I would be willing to introduce an amendment making that explicit.

I assumed it would not, but I wanted to be sure.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 09:32:52 AM »

This is a well written bill which I'll almost certainly end up supporting. Just one thing- I'd like more clarification about what is meant by "medically predicted to die".
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 05:19:59 PM »

I do not believe the state should be in the business of condoning death. I will not support this bill in any capacity.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 11:25:17 PM »

This is a well written bill which I'll almost certainly end up supporting. Just one thing- I'd like more clarification about what is meant by "medically predicted to die".

Something along the lines of "x has x weeks to live," like in a case where there's literally no way the person is coming back from whatever it is he or she's got.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 06:11:43 AM »

Offering this is an amendment so that we can get this thing voted on.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 06:57:41 AM »

Not terribly sure about the "sponsor feedback" thing, but I think we all know what's going on here, most folks have put their cards on the table, there should be few surprises, so I'm willing to open a vote on TNF's amendment. If there's a number we'll add it later. Go.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 07:03:48 AM »

Aye.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 07:23:44 AM »

Not terribly sure about the "sponsor feedback" thing, but I think we all know what's going on here, most folks have put their cards on the table, there should be few surprises, so I'm willing to open a vote on TNF's amendment. If there's a number we'll add it later. Go.

I don't see why. I suppose people opposing that bill wouldn't oppose that amendment, Mr. Vice-President.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 10:11:34 AM »

Something along the lines of "x has x weeks to live," like in a case where there's literally no way the person is coming back from whatever it is he or she's got.

I meant more in a legalistic way. As in 2 independent doctors have said that this person will die in the next six months.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 01:26:08 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2013, 01:28:10 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Actually there is a number, it is 24 hours minimum debate time on the floor for an amendment, before a vote can be started. Tongue And no, I didn't put this one in either. It has been in existance for eons.

Considering this vote could drag on anyway and I don't see what is controversial about adding the stipulation, I would just end on the vote on the grounds that it was not legitimate to start with (nice BK move here), call 24 hours on objections, wrap it up and ship it out to a final vote tomorrow.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 02:09:10 PM »

Yeah, I overlooked another damn rule again - I was remembering the other ones, evidently. I'll nail them down by violating them. Tongue

The vote is invalid, it is hereby canceled.

There are 24 hours from this point to object, after which we'll proceed to a final vote. The current final text is below. Since TNF is the sponsor, and has amended his own text, we shall forgo voting on the amendment.

I think that covers it all. Here it be:

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 03:42:08 PM »

Considering the fact that when I came on today for the first time only three threads did not have me as the last one to post in them, avoiding a vote is probably the better course anyway to save time. 

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 08:04:21 PM »

I do not believe the state should be in the business of condoning death. I will not support this bill in any capacity.

Respectfully, this is not 'condoning' death. This is legitimising something that happens every single day in hospitals all over the country. After seeing a family member spend a month dying, I am for anything, with sensible restrictions and limitations, that eases suffering. To me, that is what this Bill is about.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2013, 02:12:22 PM »

Mr. VP, it is time. Wink
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies