Prisoners
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:55:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Prisoners
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Prisoners  (Read 373 times)
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 16, 2013, 10:36:12 PM »

Would you support funding for optional job training programs in prisons in order to help the inmates learn job skills along with giving them a better chance at not ending up back in the slammer? Or would it be a waste of time and money?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 11:39:44 PM »

Would you support funding for optional job training programs in prisons in order to help the inmates learn job skills along with giving them a better chance at not ending up back in the slammer? Or would it be a waste of time and money?

Government spending is never a 'waste of money', bb, its good economics.  Of course such a program is commendable, but even better would be making sure everyone had a job through government employment - this would eliminate most crime in the first place anyway.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 01:01:46 AM »

Government spending is never a 'waste of money', bb, its good economics.  Of course such a program is commendable, but even better would be making sure everyone had a job through government employment - this would eliminate most crime in the first place anyway.

LOL? Can you say that to the 16.9 Trillion in debt on useless programs/war/entitlements that we don't need? The problem is that the government over regulates and always adds and adds and adds and never subtracts. This equals fiscal insanity.

As for the prisoner job idea, I don't necessarily think its good for the tax payers, but if someone is serving a short sentence I think it would be worth it. Although I would definitely say they need rehabilitation before job training.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 01:10:41 AM »

Can you say that to the 16.9 Trillion in debt on useless programs/war/entitlements that we don't need?

Yeah, those totally useless things like Social Security and Medicare and public education. Nobody ever benefits from those Roll Eyes
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 01:50:38 AM »

I won't go this far. Government is usually the bad guy and spending only gives them more power over us. However, the key is moderation. The sad part is that most prisoners do end up serving other sentences again. I know a guy whose spend 25 of his 60 years behind bars.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 02:16:46 AM »

Can you say that to the 16.9 Trillion in debt on useless programs/war/entitlements that we don't need?

Yeah, those totally useless things like Social Security and Medicare and public education. Nobody ever benefits from those Roll Eyes

I was expecting this. Of course government needs to spend money on some needed things. But promoting welfare programs and victimization to people who can work is not an answer. Why is it that our government has spent 7 trillion under Obama, the most of any president (highest rate also)? The more people be dependent on government programs the more the government has to spend on them, not to even mention some of the absolutely useless stuff the spend their money on. Our education system has gone to hell ever since the government has spent money on it. If you think about it, we don't really need all these programs/government spending if hadn't of started them in the first place. Everything almost always does better with individualism/privacy. I can't think of one thing that has gotten better when the federal government has spent money on it. The more programs/entitlements we introduce the more we "need" them. Just my thoughts on the issue.

And before I get called a "hater of the poor" I'm here to say we need to help those in need in poverty, but the government dependency rate (among poverty programs) is way higher than the actual poverty rate. The more we as a nation are dependent on government (those who can make it on their feet but are still dependent) the more power the government gets and the more we "need" these things. Its an endless cycle that's very hard to reverse.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 02:25:04 AM »

I was expecting this. Of course government needs to spend money on some needed things. But promoting welfare programs and victimization to people who can work is not an answer. Why is it that our government has spent 7 trillion under Obama, the most of any president (highest rate also)? The more people be dependent on government programs the more the government has to spend on them, not to even mention some of the absolutely useless stuff the spend their money on. Our education system has gone to hell ever since the government has spent money on it. If you think about it, we don't really need all these programs/government spending if hadn't of started them in the first place. Everything almost always does better with individualism/privacy. I can't think of one thing that has gotten better when the federal government has spent money on it. The more programs/entitlements we introduce the more we "need" them. Just my thoughts on the issue.

And before I get called a "hater of the poor" I'm here to say we need to help those in need in poverty, but the government dependency rate (among poverty programs) is way higher than the actual poverty rate. The more we as a nation are dependent on government (those who can make it on their feet but are still dependent) the more power the government gets and the more we "need" these things. Its an endless cycle that's very hard to reverse.

lol

I don't really like debating political issues since it's so obvious everything about American politics is utterly fcked, just popping in to give snide remarks for my own amusement.

I will leave you to consider that perhaps "can work" != should spend the majority of their lives working at some job, which is really the only thing that matters in this debate.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 02:31:32 AM »

lol

I don't really like debating political issues since it's so obvious everything about American politics is utterly fcked, just popping in to give snide remarks for my own amusement.

I will leave you to consider that perhaps "can work" != should spend the majority of their lives working at some job, which is really the only thing that matters in this debate.

Yes, I know, we're a really polarized nation now, and its difficult to properly debate people who have very different views. Also, my point (at least when it comes to welfare programs) is in the bolded statement and I agree there.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 04:51:10 AM »

WC, bb, any kind of government spending is better than letting the rich waste the money.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 02:31:07 PM »

WC, bb, any kind of government spending is better than letting the rich waste the money.

Both are horrible, but at least when the rich "waste" money its their own damn problem, and doesn't have a substantial effect on the nation, unlike the government. "Nasty and selfish" rich republicans have always given more to charity than "caring and loving" rich democrats anyways. Even Democratic Underground admits that. You seem to think that government should have more power to spend their money than people, or at least rich people.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 08:12:13 PM »

Both are horrible, but at least when the rich "waste" money its their own damn problem, and doesn't have a substantial effect on the nation, unlike the government. "Nasty and selfish" rich republicans have always given more to charity than "caring and loving" rich democrats anyways. Even Democratic Underground admits that. You seem to think that government should have more power to spend their money than people, or at least rich people.

https://philanthropy.com/blogs/prospecting/conservatives-and-liberals-are-equally-generous-study-finds/35812
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 08:38:31 PM »

We should try to stay away from words like any, all, every, never, and none when it comes to  government. Throughout history governments have done some pretty bad things.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 08:18:36 AM »

n00bz dunno opebo, but they gonna find out
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length