The racial dot map
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:42:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The racial dot map
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The racial dot map  (Read 2680 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 19, 2013, 06:49:34 AM »

This is pretty cool.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 07:41:26 AM »

Yes. Yes it is. Kind of makes me smile thinking about the loons who believe that white people are becoming out-bred by blacks and Hispanics. I'm also no demographics buff so I was fascinated to see such a distinct southern black belt that looks smack dab in the middle of the bible belt.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 11:30:18 AM »

I'm also no demographics buff so I was fascinated to see such a distinct southern black belt that looks smack dab in the middle of the bible belt.

The "Slave Belt". It's an emerging demographic that I think will, combined with Hispanics, begin to put parts of the South back in play for Democrats.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 12:30:10 PM »

Yes. Yes it is. Kind of makes me smile thinking about the loons who believe that white people are becoming out-bred by blacks and Hispanics. I'm also no demographics buff so I was fascinated to see such a distinct southern black belt that looks smack dab in the middle of the bible belt.
That's where the best, most expensive farm land was in the 19th century. I'll let you put two and two together.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 07:53:48 PM »

Something I can add is this, it is regrowing now since the new great migration started, ramping up in the 1990's to now.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 10:21:20 PM »

Anybody who marvels at how heavily black this area of the country is should have been there about 100 years ago, before the great migration. In 1900 African Americans made up almost half of the population of Georgia, and in the black belt they composed upwards of 75-90% in many counties. It kind of makes you understand why southern whites relied so strongly on Jim Crow laws- they knew they were very much outnumbered.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 07:54:05 PM »
« Edited: June 19, 2014, 07:56:00 PM by Linus Van Pelt »

Bump - looking around for some other stuff, I found that someone has made a map like this for the Toronto area using 2011 data.

http://neoformix.com/Projects/DotMaps/TorontoVisMin.html

Strictly speaking, the Canadian census does not ask for "race" in the American sense. There is a question whether someone is a "visible minority" (i.e. not white), and then the visible minorities are asked to pick some categories that are more specific than US-Census races, more like ethnic or national origin. The author of the map appears to have grouped these together into groups roughly like US races, except that "South Asian" was kept separate from "Asian" (unfortunately with a color that's a bit tricky to tell from the "Black" color at long range in mixed areas). And also, all this is from the National Household Survey, which is more like the ACS, sampling-based and voluntary. The actual census has no race-like question. Still, interesting to compare.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 01:24:19 AM »

Really cool stuff. I can zoom into my town and see trends literally from apartment complex to apartment complex and neighborhood to neighborhood.
illegaloperation

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 05:25:44 PM »

What is interesting is that I could see the Appalachia from that map.

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 08:41:11 PM »

It clearly demonstrates that major metropolitan areas have more people of all races, including more whites, than rural areas.  When I saw my town (Sioux Falls, SD) on the map, the racial makeup didn't jump out at me as much as how unpopulated my area is compared to the Twin Cities area of Minnesota (both areas are mostly white).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies