Tax Reform
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:38:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Tax Reform
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tax Reform  (Read 808 times)
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 20, 2013, 10:20:16 PM »

Simplify taxes with a flat federal tax rate of 11.5%.
Federal law requiring 60% supermajority to raise federal taxes.
Eliminate corporate tax to bring back jobs from overseas. Become a tax friendly America.
Eliminate death tax.
Eliminate marriage tax.
No elimination of inheritance tax.
Permanently increase child tax credit by $400 per child.
Cut capital gains tax by 6.6%.
Treat religious organizations equally for tax breaks.
End offshore illegal tax breaks.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 01:17:39 AM »

Progressive income tax with a min of 10% on the lowest bracket and max of 50% on the highest
Tax individuals separately, and equally under the law, regardless of marital status
Include capital gains and inheritance as income (perhaps some exempt inheritance?)
Eliminate all other deductions for and special stipulations pertaining to the income tax
Eliminate all other forms of tax at the federal level
Explore options for countering current tax avoidance techniques
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 07:03:08 AM »

Simplify taxes with a flat federal tax rate of 11.5%. Never in a million years. The Progressive Income Tax is one of the finest achievements this country has yet enacted and should not be done away with lightly. I would of course favor a return to Eisenhower-era income tax rates, minus the loopholes and with far tougher enforcement.
Federal law requiring 60% supermajority to raise federal taxes. This is a terrible idea.
Eliminate corporate tax to bring back jobs from overseas. Become a tax friendly America. Bring jobs back from overseas by investing in jobs that can't be shipped overseas and requiring that foreign companies create jobs here if they want to sell their products here.
Eliminate death tax. You call for this to not be eliminated two sentences below(?) If anything, we need to up the Estate Tax and eliminate hereditary wealth insofar as possible.
Eliminate marriage tax. Not sure what this is.
No elimination of inheritance tax. See above.
Permanently increase child tax credit by $400 per child. Ditch the child tax credit in favor of a universal basic income policy combined with paid parental leave, national health insurance, fully public education, universal child care, and a generous child allowance program that helps families raise children.
Cut capital gains tax by 6.6%. No, equalize capital gains and regular tax rates.
Treat religious organizations equally for tax breaks. End all tax preferences for religious institutions.
End offshore illegal tax breaks. Agreed.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 12:12:25 PM »

My proposal is to guillotine anybody who has any money and confiscate it.  But, I might be willing to compromise.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 12:19:24 PM »

Eliminate corporate tax to bring back jobs from overseas. Become a tax friendly America.
Eliminate death tax.
Eliminate marriage tax.

What spending are you going to slash? It seems like your plan would cut existing revenues by about half, and that is with some supply side action factored in. It certainly will slash my tax bill by about half, or maybe a bit more. Do you think that is a good idea? Smiley What is an "illegal tax break" by the way? Having something the the Tax Code which is "illegal" sounds rather oxymoronic to me.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 12:23:38 PM »

My proposal is to guillotine anybody who has any money and confiscate it.  But, I might be willing to compromise.

That plan would wipe out the species, but I suppose it is possible for the last person left alive to guillotine himself with a few modifications to the device, so it is not literally impossible. Have you been a misanthrope all your life opebo? If not, when did the epiphany occur, as to just how truly evil our species is - sort of what the AIDS virus was like in the disease world back in the 1980's?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 05:07:03 PM »

Eliminate corporate tax to bring back jobs from overseas. Become a tax friendly America. Bring jobs back from overseas by investing in jobs that can't be shipped overseas and requiring that foreign companies create jobs here if they want to sell their products here.

Just curious here, but how far are you willing to take this logic? Are you going to prohibit French cheese, German beer, Canadian oil etc.?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 05:27:19 PM »

That plan would wipe out the species, but I suppose it is possible for the last person left alive to guillotine himself with a few modifications to the device, so it is not literally impossible. Have you been a misanthrope all your life opebo? If not, when did the epiphany occur, as to just how truly evil our species is - sort of what the AIDS virus was like in the disease world back in the 1980's?

Well, I was just suggesting that the left aught to start from a really desirable proposal and compromise to something decent - like letting the exploiters live but with 75% tax or something like that.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 08:53:22 PM »

Eliminate death tax.
Eliminate marriage tax.

What spending are you going to slash? It seems like your plan would cut existing revenues by about half, and that is with some supply side action factored in. It certainly will slash my tax bill by about half, or maybe a bit more. Do you think that is a good idea? Smiley What is an "illegal tax break" by the way? Having something the the Tax Code which is "illegal" sounds rather oxymoronic to me.

Yes it is. I was trying to explain it in ways both parties would understand. To you and me it means companies are taxed for going overseas and their products are subject to tariffs when sold to the U.S. To the left it means "illegal" tax breaks.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 08:55:29 PM »

Well, I was just suggesting that the left aught to start from a really desirable proposal and compromise to something decent - like letting the exploiters live but with 75% tax or something like that.

Would you be satisfied with tariffs on imported goods from manufacturers overseas along with reform towards countries who manipulate currency?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 04:05:23 PM »

Would you be satisfied with tariffs on imported goods from manufacturers overseas along with reform towards countries who manipulate currency?

No.  I'd like to see confiscatory taxes on the upper classes.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 04:09:01 PM »

No.  I'd like to see confiscatory taxes on the upper classes.

I'm sure you would.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies