Actual worst trait of forum Democrats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:09:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Actual worst trait of forum Democrats
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Now with realistic options!
Prudishness

Oversensitivity

Elitism/Priggishness

Overbearing/annoying hatred of Southerners

Tendency to take right-wing positions on economic issues

Slacktivism

All of the Above

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 76

Author Topic: Actual worst trait of forum Democrats  (Read 4686 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 24, 2013, 12:18:42 AM »

Fixed.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 12:19:59 AM »

Reported for insufficient privilege checking.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 12:29:40 AM »

Slacktivism of course.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 12:44:41 AM »

Tendency to take right-wing positions on economic issues.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 12:45:46 AM »

how right wing they are
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 12:49:24 AM »

Willingness to vote for right-wing Republicans that do not match their own views particularly.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 12:50:42 AM »

All of the above, of course.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 04:35:14 AM »

Tendency to take right-wing positions on economic issues.

All the others are not actual problems.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 05:07:22 AM »

Oversensitivity slightly edges out Elitism/Priggishness for the win.  With Overbearing/annoying hatred of Southerners coming in a distant third.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 05:18:52 AM »

Actually, all of them except prudishness are at least minor problems, and even prudishness can be a problem depending on the situation, but none of them are really as bad as all that among forum Democrats (relative to other groups of people or other groups of Democrats) other than the tendency to take right-wing positions on economic issues.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 05:50:38 AM »

Oversensitivity/Slacktivism describe the same phenomenon where there is a rush to be offended when someone (doesn't matter what party the support) makes a questionable non-progressive comment.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 06:32:18 AM »

Actually, all of them except prudishness are at least minor problems, and even prudishness can be a problem depending on the situation, but none of them are really as bad as all that among forum Democrats (relative to other groups of people or other groups of Democrats) other than the tendency to take right-wing positions on economic issues.

I guess it depends how you define "problem". While all the traits cited by TNF are annoying to some extent, they are merely personal characteristics and are not actually issues affecting the course of policy (except possibly dislike for southerners, if taken to really extreme levels). I'd rather have all democrats be oversensitive, snobbish, slacktivist prudes, than have a single one of them be economically right-wing.
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 06:43:11 AM »

Coddled riches masquerading as the down-and-out to satisfy their own emotions, telling everyone how it is and ought to be lest they be branded a heretic and assassin of all that is Good™. All of the poll options merge together to some degree.
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 08:00:10 AM »

Absolutely slacktivism.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 08:36:03 AM »

Ya'llz is prudes.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2013, 09:00:05 AM »
« Edited: August 24, 2013, 09:04:34 AM by DemPGH, V.P. »

In RL, right wing economic positions. Not an issue on the forum left, IMO.

On the forum, oversensitivity, which is one of the main reasons for why there are factions and groups here amongst the left, I think.

There is some elitism, but it's within an acceptable range, I think.

I don't really even sense prudishness, not in its literal definition. Maybe a hint of it amongst some conservative religious folks, but not overall.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2013, 09:28:18 AM »

Write-in: Extreme arrogance about how "everything is trending Democratic due to demographic armageddon!1!1" and how Hillary's going to win in 2016 in 45/50 states and get 60+ Senators along with a Democratic House, etc.

The others I either haven't really seen or don't really care about (Nix summed up my thoughts on them fairly well).
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2013, 11:32:41 AM »

Prudishness - less annoying than the corresponding right-wing tendency to whine about "political correctness"
Oversensitivity - not limited to forum Democrats... not even close
Elitism - something something Hegel blah blah blah (point scored!... but I'll confess that I prefer it this way)
Hatred of Southerners - the only poster here who legitimately hates Southerners (to the point where it verges on bigotry) is a Republican
Tendency to take right-wing positions on economic issues - not actually much of a problem on the forum, although I don't think it's always been this way... I can only think of a couple of prominent forum Democrats who match this description
Slacktivisim - it's the internet (duh)

This.

There's only one other thing I'd like to add, and it's a question to those of you who complain about "prudishness"/the so-called "prude brood": do you consider Kitteh and/or 20RP12 to be "prudes"? 
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2013, 11:58:36 AM »

20RP12 is currently a wannabe. We'll see where he is next week. Drj isn't a prude at all. He's one of the least[/i prudish posters. ]He doesn't treat women as children and he  often makes comments and start threads that are quite explicit.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2013, 12:07:51 PM »

Drj isn't a prude at all. He's one of the least prudish posters. She doesn't treat women as children and often makes comments and start threads that are quite explicit.

(fixed a couple bad tags)

Well, yes, that is exactly my point.  Do you now see how nonsensical and inappropriate the "prude" label is, as it is used on Atlas?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2013, 12:13:33 PM »

20RP12 is currently a wannabe. We'll see where he is next week. Drj isn't a prude at all. He's one of the least[/i prudish posters. ]He doesn't treat women as children and he  often makes comments and start threads that are quite explicit.

You have a reputation to maintain, I see. Roll Eyes
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2013, 12:27:54 PM »

For me it is their prudishness.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2013, 12:35:18 PM »

Drj isn't a prude at all. He's one of the least prudish posters. She doesn't treat women as children and often makes comments and start threads that are quite explicit.

Well, yes, that is exactly my point.  Do you now see how nonsensical and inappropriate the "prude" label is, as it is used on Atlas?
Thanks for fixing my tags. Posting from my phone sucks. There is indeed a prude  brood. That dj is not on the team doesn't mean the team doesn't exist. A trans identity is not in any way a basis of membership on the team. Why would you think that it is? If you don't why would you pick him as an example?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2013, 12:43:48 PM »

I guess it depends how you define "problem". While all the traits cited by TNF are annoying to some extent, they are merely personal characteristics and are not actually issues affecting the course of policy (except possibly dislike for southerners, if taken to really extreme levels). I'd rather have all democrats be oversensitive, snobbish, slacktivist prudes, than have a single one of them be economically right-wing.

You honestly don't see how that sort of attitude can affect policy?  It may be affect policy in a way you like, but it affects policy.

I for one wasn't aware drj preferred to be known as "she."  Being trans doesn't seem to be enough to assume that, or at least some of the trans posters here don't seem to make a big deal of it in reference to themselves.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2013, 12:45:26 PM »

Thanks for fixing my tags. Posting from my phone sucks. There is indeed a prude  brood. That dj is not on the team doesn't mean the team doesn't exist. A trans identity is not in any way a basis of membership on the team. Why would you think that it is? If you don't why would you pick him as an example?

Define "prude brood" then.  I'm now more than ever pretty confident the term is not being used in a consistent manner, to describe any sort of consistent behavior.  As far as I can tell it seems to mostly get thrown at people for the crime of talking about gender in a feminist and/or trans-positive manner-  basically, dudes who agree with drj.  

If there's actually something else going on, please explain to me in detail, as if I were an idiot.  
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies