Actual worst trait of forum Democrats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:13:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Actual worst trait of forum Democrats
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Now with realistic options!
Prudishness

Oversensitivity

Elitism/Priggishness

Overbearing/annoying hatred of Southerners

Tendency to take right-wing positions on economic issues

Slacktivism

All of the Above

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 76

Author Topic: Actual worst trait of forum Democrats  (Read 4694 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2013, 01:15:43 PM »

All of the above. The fake outrage on women’s issues, hatred of the south, and extreme arrogance in political predictions.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2013, 01:23:11 PM »

You honestly don't see how that sort of attitude can affect policy?

Honestly, no. At least not to a significant degree. Want to enlighten me?
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2013, 01:27:27 PM »

The tendency to complain about "prudishness".
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2013, 01:29:13 PM »

their prudishness! Thank goodness I am around to keep them in check as the everyman Wink
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2013, 01:31:35 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2013, 01:36:07 PM by memphis »

Drj isn't a prude at all. He's one of the least prudish posters. She doesn't treat women as children and often makes comments and start threads that are quite explicit.

(fixed a couple bad tags)

Well, yes, that is exactly my point.  Do you now see how nonsensical and inappropriate the "prude" label is, as it is used on Atlas?
Thanks for fixing my tags. Posting from my phone sucks. There is indeed a prude  brood. That dj is not on the team doesn't mean the team doesn't exist. A trans identity is not in any way a basis of membership on the team. Why would you think that it is? If you don't why would you pick him as an example?

Define "prude brood" then.  I'm now more than ever pretty confident the term is not being used in a consistent manner, to describe any sort of consistent behavior.  As far as I can tell it seems to mostly get thrown at people for the crime of talking about gender in a feminist and/or trans-positive manner-  basically, dudes who agree with drj.  

If there's actually something else going on, please explain to me in detail, as if I were an idiot.  
It has nothing to do with trans issues at all. Really isn't about feminism either except that most brooders would identify as such. The PB sees women, by definition, as passive, disinterested victims (as one would view a child) in all situations remotely sexual. In their minds, it is a sexual assault  to suggest to any woman that she is physically attractive and desirable, no matter how respectfully and tactfully said. Theu're actually quite insulting in suggesting a lack of female agency. There is also a religious slant to Nathan's PB doctrine, where sexual feelings are not just a crime against women, but also a crime against God.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2013, 01:37:27 PM »

It has nothing to do with trans issues at all. Really isn't about feminism either except that most brooders would identify as such. The PB sees women, by definition, as passive, disinterested victims in all situations remotely sexual. In their minds, it is a sexual assault  to suggest to any woman that she is physically attractive and desirable, no matter how respectfully and tactfully said. There is also a religious slant to Nathan's PB doctrine, where sexual feelings are not just a crime against women, but also a crime against God.

Well, I would say that this is a silly, cartoonish strawman that does not accurately describe the views of anybody on Atlas.

And, sure, there's a religiously-inspired slant to Nathan's views on sexuality, but one idiosyncratic individual does not a "prude brood" make.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2013, 02:28:57 PM »

I'm not putting words in anybody's mouth. Juat giving you the Cliff's Notes version of some lengthy and silly threads. Feel free to read them in their entirety if you prefer primary documentation, but don't accuse me of musrepresenting the facts until you have.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2013, 02:32:08 PM »

I really think that it is Oversensitivity. Some people need to learn not to take some things personally.  Also with racism, some people find racist things something which not racist at all.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2013, 02:32:22 PM »

I'm not putting words in anybody's mouth. Juat giving you the Cliff's Notes version of some lengthy and silly threads. Feel free to read them in their entirety if you prefer primary documentation, but don't accuse me of musrepresenting the facts until you have.

Oh, I have read them in their entirety.  And I stand by my statement above one hundred and ten percent.

If it's any comfort, I'm willing to believe that you've been misinterpreted as well.  Divided by a common language and all that.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2013, 02:39:55 PM »

I guess it was wise of me to avoid all of those gender wars threads. The Cliff Notes version I am getting, is that there was more sound and fury than substance going on in them, with folks on both sides in a "gotcha" mood. Is that inference drawn by me errant?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2013, 02:41:32 PM »

I've generally taken "prude brood" to refer to the Social Justice Warriors who are experts on feminism because they read a Tumblr blog about the patriarchy through [her]story or something and spend their time getting outraged and thinking that normal social interaction constitutes oppression. Strangely there's a lot of overlap between the armchair feminist crowd and people who think biological gender doesn't exist.

20RP12's post ridiculing memphis' quotes is a good example of this. Yeah, I don't agree with Memphis on a lot of things and he can certainly crudely express his opinions but suggesting that it's not wise for women to, say, walk down a dark alley at night in a seedy part of town doesn't constitute "victim blaming", it's common sense. It's terrible that it's true but there it is.

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2013, 02:52:25 PM »

You honestly don't see how that sort of attitude can affect policy?

Honestly, no. At least not to a significant degree. Want to enlighten me?
There's a pervasive sort of snobbishness that lends itself to the idea that some group of people don't know how to govern themselves or take care of themselves or their children, and so we enlightened ones are going to do it for them.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2013, 03:00:09 PM »

I guess it was wise of me to avoid all of those gender wars threads. The Cliff Notes version I am getting, is that there was more sound and fury than substance going on in them, with folks on both sides in a "gotcha" mood. Is that inference drawn by me errant?
You are quite errant, Torie. The gender threads have had some of the best content and disagreements in the Forum's history. 
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2013, 03:07:38 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2013, 03:09:09 PM by traininthedistance »

I would... mostly agree with that, though it's a bit too Moderate Hero to be fully correct.

I've generally taken "prude brood" to refer to the Social Justice Warriors who are experts on feminism because they read a Tumblr blog about the patriarchy through [her]story or something and spend their time getting outraged and thinking that normal social interaction constitutes oppression. Strangely there's a lot of overlap between the armchair feminist crowd and people who think biological gender doesn't exist.

20RP12's post ridiculing memphis' quotes is a good example of this. Yeah, I don't agree with Memphis on a lot of things and he can certainly crudely express his opinions but suggesting that it's not wise for women to, say, walk down a dark alley at night in a seedy part of town doesn't constitute "victim blaming", it's common sense. It's terrible that it's true but there it is.

Right, this is what I was assuming most people meant when they say "prude brood", which also happens to be why I consider it to be such a silly and inappropriate term, since just using it as a derogatory term for "social justice warrior" pretty much by definition has to mean that noted non-prude Kitteh becomes an exemplar of the breed.  

And it's not "strange" at all that the feminists would have massive overlap with the folks who make a distinction between sex (which is biological) and gender (which is social); it's in fact quite obvious and expected.  The confusion between sex and gender, and the fact that many folks think of them as the same even though they have different connotations, reminds me of nothing so much as the old chestnut that "evolution is just a theory!", which trades off confusion regarding the technical definitions of "theory"  and "law" in science.  I think that many of us are too quick to pounce on people who don't understand the distinction, and we should be taking a more patient, generous tack.  But it's also true that the distinction exists, and is vitally important to many people, and needs to be preserved and explained.

I think that 20RP12's post was rather ungenerous and hostile, and I wouldn't make it myself.  But it's- mostly- not wrong per se.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2013, 03:07:44 PM »

You are quite errant, Torie. The gender threads have had some of the best content and disagreements in the Forum's history. 

IC
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2013, 03:24:38 PM »

Mr train, I appreciate your reasonable tone, but if you have mistaken the definition of Prude Brood, and it appears that you have (nobody's perfect), thay does not injure the validity of the term when properly applied. Drj isn't a member. I thought that was quite clear by now.
Also, the only thing "social constructed" about gender is that there is such a thing apart from biology. Some of us are outies. Some of us are innies (well, not here on this forum, but in the world). Same as with a great many creatures. That's all there is to it. There's no need in complicating what nature has made abundantly simple.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2013, 03:54:58 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2013, 05:10:23 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

It has nothing to do with trans issues at all. Really isn't about feminism either except that most brooders would identify as such. The PB sees women, by definition, as passive, disinterested victims in all situations remotely sexual. In their minds, it is a sexual assault  to suggest to any woman that she is physically attractive and desirable, no matter how respectfully and tactfully said. There is also a religious slant to Nathan's PB doctrine, where sexual feelings are not just a crime against women, but also a crime against God.

Well, I would say that this is a silly, cartoonish strawman that does not accurately describe the views of anybody on Atlas.

Considering that in real life I really like talking about clothes and fashion design, it would be exceptionally silly and counterproductive of me to consider suggesting to any woman that she is physically attractive or desirable (in the sense of 'beautiful', not 'sexy') sexual assault. To the extent that I think that approaching someone from the angle of sexual desirability is an affront, I think that about people who aren't women too.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

There's a religiously-inspired slant to my views on almost everything, and in situations in which there isn't it means I'm doing something wrong within the context of my worldview.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2013, 05:03:05 PM »

The fact that Nathan's tends to be more religious in nature makes his prude-broodery a bit more tolerable. The atheo-feminist-prudes tend to bug me the most.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2013, 05:11:14 PM »

And to answer the question, like all of them.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2013, 06:17:05 PM »

Right wing economics. I don't care if people are prudes are not, only if they're just prudish towards gays, or the other way around. Sum up: I don't care if you're a universal prude. And I have a bit of Southern blood in me, so not the nonexistent "southern hatred."
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2013, 06:48:53 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2013, 06:54:04 PM by traininthedistance »

Mr train, I appreciate your reasonable tone, but if you have mistaken the definition of Prude Brood, and it appears that you have (nobody's perfect), thay does not injure the validity of the term when properly applied. Drj isn't a member. I thought that was quite clear by now.
Also, the only thing "social constructed" about gender is that there is such a thing apart from biology. Some of us are outies. Some of us are innies (well, not here on this forum, but in the world). Same as with a great many creatures. That's all there is to it. There's no need in complicating what nature has made abundantly simple.

Well, nature is a great deal more complicated than you imagine, as a good many posters have pointed out  (C.f. studies that have demonstrated that trans folks have different brain structure than us cisgendered, which should grant substantial credence to their claims; or various chromosomal or androgen insensitivity issues).  And I'm still pretty deeply skeptical that "prude brood" is a term that is in practice ever properly applied, but whatever.

I do ultimately think that a reasonable tone is something to strive for, in the hope that it may generate more light than heat, and if that makes me a Moderate Hero weenie in the eyes of some I'm willing to risk that.  I'm sure I have not always hewed to said reasonable tone, of course.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2013, 07:16:25 PM »

The prude brood thing always amused me. It's an oversimplification of the the (perhaps overly) sensitive way we approach gender relations. I imagine  the prude brood actually has more rewarding relationships than the alternative, even sexually. It's such a silly label. Imagine if Memphis et al were labelled the bang gang. Or the grope folk. I could do this all day. But yes, respecting a woman's right to not feel constantly objectified in everyday life indicates prudery to the same extent that acknowledging her sex drive means you're a rapist sympathizer.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2013, 07:23:20 PM »

There's a prude brood among Democrats? That's news to me; has Nathan made like 10 socks since I checked the forum this morning?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2013, 08:09:53 PM »

Does being a Forum Democrat to begin with count? OH! Buh dum chs!
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2013, 08:30:47 PM »

All of the above.  If it were a choice, I would say severe partisan hackishness.

Their hatred of Southerners would be another, but a lot of people might say the same about me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies