Actual worst trait of forum Democrats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:39:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Actual worst trait of forum Democrats
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Now with realistic options!
Prudishness

Oversensitivity

Elitism/Priggishness

Overbearing/annoying hatred of Southerners

Tendency to take right-wing positions on economic issues

Slacktivism

All of the Above

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 76

Author Topic: Actual worst trait of forum Democrats  (Read 4674 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2013, 08:37:46 PM »

Their right wing political views, obviously.

Also their sympathetic views on guns and tobacco.  They lecture people like our dear friend for eating white bread, yet defend cigarettes and guns.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2013, 09:00:28 PM »

What are the gender war threads that everyone talks about?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2013, 09:06:59 PM »

Their right wing political views, obviously.

E: 1.68
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2013, 10:40:55 PM »

They might not come across as gender wars to somebody without any particular stake in the sort of infighting about gender and sexuality theory that goes on in many left-leaning circles, but the PFC Manning thread in the US General board is the best currently-running example of what's being discussed.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2013, 08:23:48 AM »

They might not come across as gender wars to somebody without any particular stake in the sort of infighting about gender and sexuality theory that goes on in many left-leaning circles, but the PFC Manning thread in the US General board is the best currently-running example of what's being discussed.

Just read the Manning thread. I feel like I'm watching disciples of Stalin & Mao argue over obscure points of Marxism... blech
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2013, 08:46:32 AM »
« Edited: August 25, 2013, 08:48:33 AM by Communists For McCain »

Let me see here:

Prudishness - I can see where everybody is going with this one, though I think "self-righteousness" is probably the more apt term.  Prudery sounds too biblethumperish.
Oversensitivity - This is the Atlas forum, who isn't oversensitive?
Elitism - A legitimate criticism.  The drift of many Democrats, not just on here, towards this character trait is indeed disturbing and we shouldn't at all be surprised that the actual objective worst trait that I will address in a couple of lines (SPOILER ALERT!) is possible.
Hatred of Southerners - As much as I like to criticize some posters for having a double standard attitude toward Southern whites, "Hatred" is way too strong a word here.  On the whole, I believe that most Democrats on this website actually like Southerners pretty much.  I mean, they are always ranting about how in ten years they will win Texas and Georgia.  Doesn't exactly sound like people who hate "Southerners", does it?  I could think of a few people (one of them is obvious) who hate the South, all of them are Republicans.
Tendency to take right-wing positions on economic issues - Admittedly, not as much of a problem on this forum.  However, it is still, by far, the most disturbing those listed.  I mean what hurts people more: a sh*tty healthcare system. . . . . or some random person who will never ever be elected into political office talking about correct feminist pronouns?  Seriously.
Slacktivisim - Sorry, I don't feel like putting much effort into this one.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2013, 09:13:38 AM »

It's hilarious that people in this thread are basically saying "rape happens, unfortunately, so being a feminist won't change that" when the idea of feminism is to change society so rape doesn't happen

We don't deny that rape happens, we deny that it is the woman's fault and we accept that men should control their urges instead of raping women

So keep digging me for being a feminist, i'm gonna take my "slacktivism" everywhere I go, because I constantly tell people not to slut-shame, victim blame or make rape jokes if i'm in the room unless they want a stern lecturing (ooooh badass, right?)

If you people don't believe society can't change, you're sorely mistaken.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2013, 09:20:56 AM »

What forum Democrats have actually taken 'right wing' economic positions? I mean, real right wing economic positions, not just 'hur-dur your no true leftist' rhetoric? Or are people voting that as a protest option?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2013, 09:21:28 AM »

It's hilarious that people in this thread are basically saying "rape happens, unfortunately, so being a feminist won't change that" when the idea of feminism is to change society so rape doesn't happen

We don't deny that rape happens, we deny that it is the woman's fault and we accept that men should control their urges instead of raping women

So keep digging me for being a feminist, i'm gonna take my "slacktivism" everywhere I go, because I constantly tell people not to slut-shame, victim blame or make rape jokes if i'm in the room unless they want a stern lecturing (ooooh badass, right?)

What?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2013, 09:45:15 AM »

For the record, I wasn't trying to imply that using correct feminist pronouns was a bad thing.  Just using that example as a way to clearly paint how horrible the rightward drift of many Democrats is compared to the other traits presented in this poll.

And as it is, I'm more on your side and others when it comes to things like that.  Especially the whole trans identity issue, which many liberals seem to be horrible at.  lolsociety.

[/wasn'tsureifitwassomethingisaid]
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2013, 10:20:23 AM »

What wasn't clear?

For the record, I wasn't trying to imply that using correct feminist pronouns was a bad thing.  Just using that example as a way to clearly paint how horrible the rightward drift of many Democrats is compared to the other traits presented in this poll.

And as it is, I'm more on your side and others when it comes to things like that.  Especially the whole trans identity issue, which many liberals seem to be horrible at.  lolsociety.

[/wasn'tsureifitwassomethingisaid]

Wasn't aiming at you, Mecha. You, Nathan, traininthedistance (to an extent) are the only people in this thread making sense.

Let's look at this post for an example:

20RP12 is currently a wannabe. We'll see where he is next week. Drj isn't a prude at all. He's one of the least[/i prudish posters. ]He doesn't treat women as children and he often makes comments and start threads that are quite explicit.

Aside from the calling me a wannabe (which is gravy coming from memphis), the fact that some of you completely ignore somebody's gender is just plain f--ked up.

It's like calling a gay man straight because they've never been in a relationship with another man.

And I swear to god if anyone says "SEXUALITY IS DIFFERENT BECAUSE SEXUALITY ISN'T A CHOICE, BEING TRANS IS" i will flip the living hell out
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2013, 12:21:20 PM »

Just read the Manning thread. I feel like I'm watching disciples of Stalin & Mao argue over obscure points of Marxism... blech

Yeah, that's roughly the reaction I expected you to have. Sorry.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2013, 12:23:53 PM »

What about the radical anti-Christian bias.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2013, 12:30:45 PM »

So much cringe in this thread.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2013, 12:43:21 PM »

If someone is interested...
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2013, 12:47:13 PM »

Yes the name calling is unfortunate - cringe worthy as Kemp characterizes it. There is no need to toss around verbal epithets like that. It's immature and counterproductive.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2013, 12:53:45 PM »

The bravery levels are off the charts.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2013, 12:57:15 PM »

The difference between gays and sexual identity is that being gay is, by definition, about feelings. If Bob says he's gay, I'll take him at his word.  I have no evidence to the contrary. If I did have evidence to the contrary, though I'm have trouble thinking of what that evidence might entail, I would doubt him. Similarly,  if Bob says he's a woman, even though he clearly has a penis, I will quibble with that because, as somebody who knows the difference, it is obvious that he is mistaken. If he says that he feels like a woman, I would also take him at his word as to his feelings, but that does not mean that he is, in fact, a woman. Anorexics report feeling very fat despite being very thin. Feelings can be deceptive.
I'm also beginning to wonder if 20RP12 is opposed to theft insurance because people shouldn't steal. I eagerly await the days he learns of an entire field known as risk management.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2013, 03:00:21 PM »

The legion of strawmen you just destroyed with this post brings to mind ancient myths of Egyptian Pharaohs singlehandedly wiping out their enemies on the field of battle as their armies cower in fear behind them.

The problem with this "debate" isn't posters like, say, Nathan who actually know what the f they're talking about and have some knowledge of academic feminism. It's the bravery bandwagon of teenagers like you and Snowstalker who have apparently decided to latch on to shallow Tumblr "feminism" as their latest affectation in the long string of ideologies they'll passionately subscribe to for a couple of months.  I get, you're liberal or whatever now. You don't need to keep attempting to prove such by spending your days existing in a state of perpetual outrage.

I am covered in buzzword vomit, and it's not pleasant.

Shockingly, I also believe that rape is a bad thing. You don't get any justice brownie points for that groundbreaking and courageous opinion. It is actually possible to admit there are situations where rape is more likely to occur and that it's wise for women to try and avoid said while - wait for it! - still thinking rape is an abhorrent crime! I hope that's not too complex to process. It's awful that rape is a thing that happens, but it doesn't constitute "victim blaming" to suggest that people minimise the risk, and it's obscene and offensive to suggest that those of us who think that's (unfortunately) a sensible position are somehow blaming the victim or are in any way okay with rape.

I don't think it's absurd to suggest that people can change society. I do think it's absurd to act like calling out some random people on an internet forum with a litany of empty buzzwords and moral posturing is an example of anything approaching productive discourse.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2013, 03:20:29 PM »

Oakvale just killed it. Shut the forum down. It's over.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2013, 03:49:13 PM »

All of the above, but if I had to choose one it would be Elitism/Priggishness.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2013, 04:05:21 PM »

Annoying VERY IMPORTANT teenage trendy slacktivism aside, I do want to put in that in regards to "victim blaming" there should be a huge difference between "Women can minimize risk of rape by staying out of dark alleyways or getting intoxicated in vulnerable situations" and "Well if she hadn't been wearing a miniskirt she might not have "tempted" him."

That said though no one aside from a couple right wing trolls/quasi-trolls has said anything along the lines of the latter on this forum, so here moaning about it is kind of a strawman. It'd be like circa 2008 someone moaning about how horrible and hackish forum Democrats/Republicans are and citing only the garbage pbrower and J. J. posted as examples.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2013, 10:07:32 PM »

BTW I voted for tendency to take right wing positions. However this is not really in reference to economic issues or most issues in general so much as an overall Moderate Hero tendency to admire and support Republicans who vote the party line 85-90% of the time just because they make a big fuss about 10-15% of the time they don't.
The Simpsons Cinematic Universe
MustCrushCapitalism
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -2.78

« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2013, 10:56:54 PM »

I'd say the right-wing economics, but oversensitivity is a close second.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2013, 11:12:36 PM »

As someone who does not consider themselves a feminist (and yet is anti-rape, imagine that! Tongue) I don't see any problem with vocally objecting to slut-shaming, victim blaming and rape jokes when they come up, since those things are indeed awful.  But I don't see how it's helpful to keep bringing up what someone once said over and over again.  That's not going to change society.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies