Columbia SC to ban homeless from downtown
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:11:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Columbia SC to ban homeless from downtown
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Columbia SC to ban homeless from downtown  (Read 1353 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 24, 2013, 11:35:38 PM »

Alright forumites, if you look like you might be homeless, best stay away -

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.theatlanticcities.com/politics/2013/08/being-homeless-downtown-columbia-south-carolina-officially-against-law/6649/

greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 12:35:17 AM »

It's just the latest city: http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/08/20/2496741/columbia-criminalize-homeless/

It's like if you're unable to pay rent, you might as well not exist because any empty room being used to house the homeless is a wasted opportunity to profit by renting out space at market rates.

There's not enough funding being put into public housing programs to cover all those eligible and yet this is the "solution" cities come up with? Is there no middle ground they can come up with between homeless on the streets and homeless people paying thousands of dollars a year they don't have in rent?

It's pretty pathetic how housing is treated compared to food and healthcare.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 01:55:01 AM »

That's what happens when you close all the public mental hospitals and leave the patients to fend for themselves, as we did in the '80s. They called it "community-based care" when what it was really "These people aren't worth spending money on."
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 02:10:44 AM »

Well now wait a minute. This could push visitors away and kill their economy if the homeless are allowed to just wonder instead of going to homeless shelters or poor houses. We could turn foreclosed homes into such places.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 07:59:31 AM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 02:46:06 PM »

Awful. Can't wait to hear the "small government conservatives" in the area defend this.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 03:53:32 PM »

Well now wait a minute. This could push visitors away and kill their economy if the homeless are allowed to just wonder instead of going to homeless shelters or poor houses. We could turn foreclosed homes into such places.

If you don't like homeless people wandering around your city, then do something to make them not homeless anymore. But you don't have a right to simply remove them from the city.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 04:04:06 PM »

If you don't like homeless people wandering around your city, then do something to make them not homeless anymore. But you don't have a right to simply remove them from the city.

I agree and think we should be turning foreclosed homes into poor houses and homeless shelters. It's a delicate issue. Santa Monaca made themselves proud to help the homeless and eventually had so many of them that their home values plummeted and people couldn't go a week without being asked for money. Something moderate and non-partisan must be done. I think banks would straighten up with their risky lending if we turned foreclosed homes into homeless shelters.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 10:39:53 PM »

I agree and think we should be turning foreclosed homes into poor houses and homeless shelters. It's a delicate issue. Santa Monaca made themselves proud to help the homeless and eventually had so many of them that their home values plummeted and people couldn't go a week without being asked for money. Something moderate and non-partisan must be done. I think banks would straighten up with their risky lending if we turned foreclosed homes into homeless shelters.

As someone who lives in LA, I can assure you: Property values in Santa Monica are doing juuuuuuuuuust fine.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 10:51:52 PM »

It's like people expect homeless people to just "go away" without addressing the root causes of homelessness.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 11:18:18 PM »

So you're advocating the forcible seizure of private (bank-owned) property to be used for homeless shelters? A real conservative idea, that.

And what exactly is your conception of a "poor house"? We're not living in 19th century England.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 12:21:12 AM »

Columbia should have learned from Nevada -- just put them all on a bus; destination San Francisco.

http://rt.com/usa/nevada-releasing-mental-patients-812/
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 12:23:31 AM »

So you're advocating the forcible seizure of private (bank-owned) property to be used for homeless shelters? A real conservative idea, that.

And what exactly is your conception of a "poor house"? We're not living in 19th century England.

basically a homeless shelter and I know this isn't 19th century England was there something wrong with how I said it?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 09:06:25 AM »

We've done the same here. Memphis has gone to great lengths and expense to make downtown viable and tourist friendly after decades of neglect. The homeless were a hurdle to that vision. Unfortunately, they've now set up shop closer to where I live Sad
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 01:45:09 PM »

As someone who lives in LA, I can assure you: Property values in Santa Monica are doing juuuuuuuuuust fine.

They still brought a lot of homeless people to their town which drove people away. There were so many homeless people that no one knew who did and didn't have a home. Before you know it those you live with could be homeless.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 03:22:24 PM »

Giuliani was quite successful in doing this.....
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 05:43:23 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2013, 05:45:43 PM by Torie »

Columbia should have learned from Nevada -- just put them all on a bus; destination San Francisco.

By what authority could Nevada force homeless people on a bus to Frisco? If the homeless got on the bus voluntarily, I don't see a violation, unless there is some arcane law about patient dumping. But were all the homeless on the bus "patients?" Yes, per the article, it appears that they were. So the case is about transporting out patients in a mental hospital, and not about transporting homeless who are on the street. And if in a mental hospital, presumably those persons were not homeless.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 05:50:49 PM »

They still brought a lot of homeless people to their town which drove people away. There were so many homeless people that no one knew who did and didn't have a home. Before you know it those you live with could be homeless.

You've never been to Santa Monica, have you?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 06:07:20 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2013, 06:11:32 PM by Torie »

Well I found one house that sold for 358K next to the freeway on a busy street in Santa Monica. In general, houses in least chic parts of SM go for 500K to 1 million, middling areas from 1 million to 2 million, and the most chic over 2 million (north of Montana mostly, which when I was a kid, was the only upper middle class area of Santa Monica).  My parents looked at some houses there on the ultimate chic street, La Mesa Drive north of San Vicente, back then, but the two houses they saw backed up against San Vicente, so no dice. The SM school district at that time was also viewed as marginal, which was another issue. How times have changed. To get into the La Mesa zone costs you from 3 million to 7 million now.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 06:46:38 PM »

It's only a matter of time before some local authority somewhere decides that the final solution to the homeless problem is to concentrate them into camps.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2013, 09:22:21 PM »

You've never been to Santa Monica, have you?

He was riffing off of South Park with that last one.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 09:38:19 PM »

By what authority could Nevada force homeless people on a bus to Frisco? If the homeless got on the bus voluntarily, I don't see a violation, unless there is some arcane law about patient dumping. But were all the homeless on the bus "patients?" Yes, per the article, it appears that they were. So the case is about transporting out patients in a mental hospital, and not about transporting homeless who are on the street. And if in a mental hospital, presumably those persons were not homeless.

Nevada has a very specific problem with the homeless: If you leave them out on the street in 120-degree weather, they're going to die. I would imagine they're rotated in and out of psychiatric hospitals (and other holding locations) out of necessity for their health and safety.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2013, 11:24:24 AM »

It's only a matter of time before some local authority somewhere decides that the final solution to the homeless problem is to concentrate them into camps.
That has happened here, actually. Sex offenders who are homeless in Miami are forced to live in a shanty town under an interstate bridge.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 11:54:17 PM »

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/politics/2013/08/city-council-columbia-south-carolina-isnt-sure-if-it-voted-kick-homeless-people-out-downtown-or-not/6709/
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 12:00:43 AM »

That has happened here, actually. Sex offenders who are homeless in Miami are forced to live in a shanty town under an interstate bridge.

How has Dexter not informed me of this already?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies