The first election in which the D was left-wing and the R was right-wing (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:56:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  The first election in which the D was left-wing and the R was right-wing (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The first election in which the D was left-wing and the R was right-wing  (Read 10555 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: January 25, 2014, 10:25:07 AM »

1980 is the correct answer, in modern terms.

Uh.... Like at least half of all elections before that? I mean if you're not gonna recognize 1896, then there are still about a million other freakin' examples. Just even frickin' 1972. McGovern's ideology doesn't now count as conservative or something. Hell, 1964 would be a bad answer but it'd at least cover a bit more ground than frickin' 1980.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 02:53:53 PM »

I'm surprised nobody has suggested 1872 (although 1896 was the turning point between when it was an exception and the norm)

Why 1872?  Can Tilden be called left-wing, even in relation to Hayes?
We are talking in relation to the gold standard, Grant was conservative on it, Tilden was liberal on it.

I'm pretty sure Tilden was a "Bourbon" and both Hayes and Tilden were in favor of sound money. There were in fact very few differences between the candidates.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 03:09:46 PM »

1872 was the first election when the Democrats were more left-wing on economics. After 1896 an economically right-wing Democrat became the exception rather than the rule.

Although I'd say on social issues the Democrats were not more liberal until the 1950's.

The Republicans have always had a puritan streak of sorts, and the whole Bryan episode was much more a fluke than an overall indicator of where the Democratic party stood. Now, you can argue whether that puritan streak was a force for conservatism or progressivism, but it was there.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies