Should congressional approval be required for all or most military actions?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:24:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should congressional approval be required for all or most military actions?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: ...
Yes, for all military actions

Yes, for most military actions

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Should congressional approval be required for all or most military actions?  (Read 3018 times)
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2013, 04:47:29 PM »

In general, yes.

The only time where it might differ is if the US is actually being attacked, but even then I would expect/hope that Congress gives permission.

Pre-emptive counter terrorist operations as well, but Congressional leaders should be notified ASAP and a report given if need be.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2013, 08:13:07 PM »

Anyways, were we not in so bitterly partisan an era as this, I would definitely prefer that the President seek authorization of military force in any and all military actions from Congress. 
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2013, 10:30:23 PM »

Yes, for almost all actions except some minor activity. I don't know why this president thought he had the power to do what he wants with only his administration and without Congress. I'm glad he's actually going through with this and asking Congress first.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2013, 11:55:17 PM »

Yes, for almost all actions except some minor activity. I don't know why this president thought he had the power to do what he wants with only his administration and without Congress. I'm glad he's actually going through with this and asking Congress first.

He said Bush didn't have authority without congressional approval and then thought because he was president, it meant he had the power to do it. What a genius!
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2013, 08:26:08 AM »

Right, so going by the constitution, the president should be able to command the armed forces to do whatever he wants. If congress doesn't like it, they're free to stop paying the soldiers and providing them with guns and bullets.

It's not self evident at all that the founders thought what you think they did. The congress gets to control the funding of the army, but once that army is funded, the president decides what to do with it.

Except that's only happened maybe once in American history, and it wasn't the President who took a hit for it.

So? This is how the government is structured; public opinion is just as much a check and balance on the powers of each branch as the other branches are.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2013, 09:32:59 PM »

Right, so going by the constitution, the president should be able to command the armed forces to do whatever he wants. If congress doesn't like it, they're free to stop paying the soldiers and providing them with guns and bullets.

It's not self evident at all that the founders thought what you think they did. The congress gets to control the funding of the army, but once that army is funded, the president decides what to do with it.

Except that's only happened maybe once in American history, and it wasn't the President who took a hit for it.

So? This is how the government is structured; public opinion is just as much a check and balance on the powers of each branch as the other branches are.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but public opinion isn't the 4th branch of government. The only time it matters is at the ballot box.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies