How California is turning the rest of the West blue (Atlas red)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:55:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How California is turning the rest of the West blue (Atlas red)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: How California is turning the rest of the West blue (Atlas red)  (Read 4347 times)
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 30, 2013, 09:36:58 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Read more at http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2013/08/29/216150644/how-california-is-turning-the-rest-of-the-west-blue

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 10:09:36 AM »

Sort of mixed stuff here. I doubt it will have much of an effect in Idaho or Washington where the states are pretty safe on a Presidential level, however the effect on Nevada or Colorado is huge.
hopper
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 02:10:53 PM »

No Colorado is different from California on the issue of guns though. Colorado is a lot more moderate economically where as California is more liberal. I don't know where Nevada is on social issues but economically it is pretty centrist from my viewpoint. NV has split control of US House and US Senate Delegation between R's and D's. The Governor is a Republican and the Democrats control the state legislature.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 03:52:17 PM »

Sort of mixed stuff here. I doubt it will have much of an effect in Idaho or Washington where the states are pretty safe on a Presidential level, however the effect on Nevada or Colorado is huge.

Actually you have to understand that people of different mentalities move to different states. Olds who are more liberal and into gambling might move to Nevada. Also those who serve them by working in the service industry, making the state atlas red. On the other hand Arizona attracts conservative retirees who don't like Mexicans but like golf. Idaho also attracts those who are already conservative or racists who want to get away from Mexicans.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 04:24:25 PM »

Immigration of Hispanics and Latinos are more influencing the trend than California alone. However, there are a lot of citizens from California fleeing the state to escape the horrific effects of big liberal government.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 05:08:43 PM »

Colorado is a lot more moderate economically where as California is more liberal.

In case you haven't noticed, D=moderate economically.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 06:21:06 PM »

Arnie the Kennedy type or Rockefeller GOP which put more inferences on getting young people to vote, so the same young latinos that came out for Obama and the Dems since 2006, notwithstanding 2010, was put together for the Schwarzenegger camp.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 06:35:21 PM »

Colorado is a lot more moderate economically where as California is more liberal.

not true
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 09:31:52 PM »

Actually you have to understand that people of different mentalities move to different states. Olds who are more liberal and into gambling might move to Nevada. Also those who serve them by working in the service industry, making the state atlas red. On the other hand Arizona attracts conservative retirees who don't like Mexicans but like golf. Idaho also attracts those who are already conservative or racists who want to get away from Mexicans.

Do you think that all the conservatives who migrate there move there because they hate Mexicans? I have no idea if this is true but I would think its more of a democratic conspiracy than an actual fact. I don't think they dislike Mexicans in general, but I think they don't like the illegal Mexicans crossing the border with our broken immigration system.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 09:35:03 PM »

Sure, from a world point of view. In America, democrat is left and republican is right. You might not like that the fact that America is a conservative country (which is why I love it more than any other country), but the democrats are certainly left of center.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 09:47:45 PM »

Do you think that all the conservatives who migrate there move there because they hate Mexicans? I have no idea if this is true but I would think its more of a democratic conspiracy than an actual fact. I don't think they dislike Mexicans in general, but I think they don't like the illegal Mexicans crossing the border with our broken immigration system.

Many don't like the fact that half of SoCal is Hispanic now, most of them being native born citizens. Doesn't matter to these folks, who will use the illegals argument to hide their hate.
DS0816
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 12:06:08 AM »

I think Colorado is the most politically interesting state right now. For one, it has become a presidential bellwether state. It is closely connected in its statewide margins to Virginia, since 1996, which was the best bellwether for Elections 2008 and 2012 (which left Colo. to rank Nos. 3 and 2 over the last two cycles). In fact, Colo.'s gender-voting outcomes from 2008 matched the national percentages of support for President Obama by both males (49) and females (56). No other state did that! (From 2012, the exit-polled state which best matched up was the nation's most-recognized bellwether, Ohio. It was No. 2 for statewide-vs.-nationwide in its margin.)

While much has been said of California has been true, that it is a trendsetter, I can see a common denominator in the two states. And Colo. deserves plenty attention.

Just look at how Colo. voted last year. The ballot-proposal passage for marijuana that is not just medicinal but also recreational. That state's voters embraced this before Oregon, regularly in the Democratic presidential column since 1988, and before a whole host of blue presidential states. And Colo.'s voting electorate flipped the state House to the Democratic column.

The way Colo. is heading, it's probably going to get marriage equality in its state before a number of other blue presidential states, like my home state Michigan (which has Republican majorities via the midterm wave of 2010 and a state Democratic party which has rested on their supposed laurels for much too long that it made a switch with the chairmanship). And given that the Colo. state legislators went for civil unions, which is not the solution but was an improvement, before Mich. and many other presidential blue states, I think that state is worthy of plenty discussion. California brought marriage equality to the U.S. Supreme Court, so to speak, and Colo. is one state that is amongst the first to bring marijuana (recreational along with medicinal) to the national conversation about the freedom to personally use a substance that does not harm anywhere on the level as does alcohol.

There was also the 2012 vote, by the Colorado electorate, on fracking. For more of a report about the 2012 vote in Colorado, I'll give this link: @  http://www.salon.com/2012/11/07/progressives_win_big_in_colorado/ .

There is a thread where one person tries to argue that state of Pennsylvania is going in the direction of the Republicans by phrasing it as "the right." No. That is a base state for the Democratic Party, and has a blue tilt since after the 1940s. With Colo., and with its 2012 voting, it's become a presidential bellwether state which produces margins tightly connected with the national numbers. And Coloradoans are saying, "Go left!"

That contradicts with the national policies of both the two parties (both in a Washington, D.C. bubble for what seems an eternity); they have a comfy bubble in which they live. Great money. Great benefits. Great payoffs. But it's becoming more and more apparent that social and political policies, by voters, are telling this country to go in the direction of the left. Trendsetter states California and Colorado are helping to lead the way.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 01:35:08 AM »

Many don't like the fact that half of SoCal is Hispanic now, most of them being native born citizens. Doesn't matter to these folks, who will use the illegals argument to hide their hate.

What are you talking about?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 07:41:04 AM »

It's pretty clear what I am talking about, bbag.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 09:14:35 AM »
« Edited: August 31, 2013, 09:19:40 AM by Holmes »

This argument just makes me want to explode, because it assumes that everyone who migrates from California is far-left, and that the tens of thousands of migrants have the political prowess to change state politics over the millions of citizens that are already present.

It's so lazy to just throw around the "California migration" excuse for Colorado's recent leftward trend. Gun control? Aurora. Civil unions? Nationwide movement in favour of gay marriage + openly gay Speaker of the House probably helped. Pot legalization? Basically every Democratic county voted in favour, as well as El Paso, so it can't be Californians who moved to Denver and its suburbs + California itself voted down pot just two years prior.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2013, 01:03:32 PM »

I don't think that California can be blamed for turning Oregon and Washington Democratic.  Dukakis carried those two states, but not California.  The Pacific Northwest has its own native liberalism. 

Also, not all of these Californians are liberal, and I doubt that the influx of Orange County whites will result in Idaho becoming a Democratic state. 
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2013, 10:53:23 PM »

It's pretty clear what I am talking about, bbag.

Yes you're playing the race card.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2013, 11:22:58 PM »

So California republicans are racist, yet another race-blaming game.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2013, 11:41:30 PM »

That's what Democrats do. They don't have any positions on the issues so they just play the race card.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2013, 11:53:31 PM »

That's what Democrats do. They don't have any positions on the issues so they just play the race card.

They do have positions, just that a lot of them are ridiculous in instances so they use race-blaming as a tactic. I'm curious, what kind of "card" do the republicans play?
hopper
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2013, 01:29:26 AM »

In Colorado I'm sure the D's are moderate  there economically but California they are liberal on economic issues. California is like 44th in job creation per Gallup "State of the States" stats and is 48th on Business Climate per the "Tax Foundation". Colorado is 18th in Business Climate per the "Tax Foundation". Don't have job creation stats off-hand for CO though.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2013, 08:26:48 AM »

In Colorado I'm sure the D's are moderate  there economically but California they are liberal on economic issues. California is like 44th in job creation per Gallup "State of the States" stats and is 48th on Business Climate per the "Tax Foundation". Colorado is 18th in Business Climate per the "Tax Foundation". Don't have job creation stats off-hand for CO though.

Haha, you think that 'job creation' is caused by right-wing economics, don't you?
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2013, 09:50:39 AM »

So now it's a fact that states with liberal economic policies have the slowest job growth, and not just your opinion? Good to know. Mississippi would like a word with you.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2013, 06:47:09 PM »

They do have positions, just that a lot of them are ridiculous in instances so they use race-blaming as a tactic. I'm curious, what kind of "card" do the republicans play?

national security card
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2013, 07:18:25 PM »

national security card

I'm guessing that was more of a Bush-card. Anyway I'm not a fan of Patriot Act republicans or NSA-defending republicans.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies