Furthest latitudes and longitudes you've visited (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:00:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Furthest latitudes and longitudes you've visited (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Furthest latitudes and longitudes you've visited  (Read 5413 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: September 01, 2013, 08:36:42 PM »

In terms of where I've been on land:

North: 53 N (Manchester, UK)
South: 43 S (Hobart, Tas, Australia)
East: 175 E (Auckland, NZ, though if you exclude airport layovers, then 153 E (Gold Coast, Qld, Australia)
West: 123 W (Victoria, BC)

Of course, measuring it like this is kind of problematic.  Note that I said "on land".  The farthest north I've actually been would have to be when I was in a plane, presumably either on a Philadelphia-Manchester flight that I made in 2007, or the London-Chicago flight in 2011.  Because of the mapping of great circles onto the globe, those intercontinental flights take you farther north than either the departure or destination city.

And of course, trying to define east-west is arbitrary, since I've crossed the International Dateline by plane many times.  When I go back to the US, I do it by going east, not west.  So in that sense, it's kind of strange to say that I've never been west of Victoria.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 07:55:02 AM »

And of course, trying to define east-west is arbitrary, since I've crossed the International Dateline by plane many times.  When I go back to the US, I do it by going east, not west.  So in that sense, it's kind of strange to say that I've never been west of Victoria.

As long as you've not been around the world, say if you've only gone Oz-America and Oz-Europe, there isn't a problem. The furthest east you've been is the furthest east you've been in America and the furthest west you've been is the furthest west in Europe.

And if you have been, well east and west don't count for you anymore as you've been everywhere. Grin

I have been around the world.  In 2011, I went Australia->Israel->USA->Australia, going around the world going west, with several other airport layovers along the way.  (The London-Chicago flight that I mentioned earlier was part of that trip.)  So I guess east and west don't mean anything for me anymore.  Sad

Some day, I'd like to go to Antarctica, and walk around in circles around the South Pole a few dozen times.  Then east and west *really* won't mean anything to me anymore.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies