The Syria Resolution
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:42:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Syria Resolution
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Where will it pass, if at all?
Passes the House

Defeated in the House

Passes the Senate

Defeated in the Senate

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: The Syria Resolution  (Read 4095 times)
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 08:34:45 PM »

The current draft of the resolution is getting criticized for not being restrictive enough.  *gulp*
It should be criticized for that, no?

Yeah, which is why we have more reason to worry if it passes.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 09:08:07 PM »

The U.S. Senate Foreign Relations Committee has crafted a draft AUMF:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I still don't think it has been sufficiently proven, at least to the public, that Assad gave the order to use chemical weapons.  If we could prove that, the above resolution sounds like something I could live with.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 09:52:06 PM »

They pretty clearly don't know whether or not Assad himself ordered the weapons to be used.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2013, 10:11:53 PM »

So at the end of the day, I suppose this is what we know and what we don't know:

• We know that Kerry doesn't want to take boots-on-the-ground off the table (probably won't happen, but we can't predict if or how the situation will escalate if Congress authorizes the attack)
  • We don't know whether Assad himself ordered the bombings
  • We don't know what the game plan will be after military intervention takes place and if Assad is ousted as a result
  • We don't know how Assad would respond to Western intervention, though he hasn't voiced any intentions of backing down
  • We don't know for sure what the administration's long-term goals are.  Kerry insists war isn't what Obama's asking for, but we can only take that with a grain of salt.

Still too many we-don't-know's for me to support this.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 10:21:04 PM »

They pretty clearly don't know whether or not Assad himself ordered the weapons to be used.

I'm not sure why that matters? He's still responsible. And it's public knowledge that the Syrian army has been using chemical weapons (but against rebel fighters) for months now, presumably with his blessing.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2013, 10:40:26 PM »

It will pass the Senate and maybe even the house. Both sides are falling in line. Even if it doesn't, I think Obama will strike anyway, which I like. It's beginning to remind me of my boy dubya.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2013, 10:43:56 PM »

I'm not sure why that matters? He's still responsible. And it's public knowledge that the Syrian army has been using chemical weapons (but against rebel fighters) for months now, presumably with his blessing.

It does matter.  If there was some commander in the field who took it on himself, it becomes problematic.

Part of the plan is to degrade Assad's command and control functions.  Do you really want a few other field commanders to decide to launch them since they can't get orders? 
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2013, 10:57:41 PM »

It does matter.  If there was some commander in the field who took it on himself, it becomes problematic.

Part of the plan is to degrade Assad's command and control functions.  Do you really want a few other field commanders to decide to launch them since they can't get orders? 

If it was an accident or done by some rogue general then Assad should have publicly apologized for it and punished the rogue general. But he hasn't, because he probably gave the order, and even if he didn't, his lack of response is implicit approval.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2013, 11:03:00 PM »

Yeah, Assad clearly did it. I'm not going to sit here and think it was some mistake by someone else. Assad certainly isn't out there trying to make that seem like it's the case.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2013, 11:04:42 PM »

Even if it doesn't, I think Obama will strike anyway, which I like.

Yup, like I said in the other thread (or maybe this one, iunno), he should have the missile and planes in place and ready to go, and order them to attack the minute the House vote is complete, regardless of the outcome.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2013, 11:04:59 PM »

Considering the way Assad normally deals with dissent if it was a rouge officer who ordered it then said rogue officer would be gunned to pieces within hours. Has that happened yet?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2013, 11:50:22 PM »

Considering the way Assad normally deals with dissent if it was a rouge officer who ordered it then said rogue officer would be gunned to pieces within hours. Has that happened yet?

Something tells me that Assad is not on Twitter.

There has been some suggestion that it was not authorized by Assad.  That is one of the reasons why I think this is problematic.  If this was a command and control problem, the one thing we don't want to do is make it worse. 
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2013, 11:56:20 PM »

Would we necessarily know if it had?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2013, 09:01:38 AM »

A Pew Research Poll suggests support for military action in Syria is at 29%. That's about the percentage of Americans who supported the Vietnam War ... in 1971.

I cannot fathom how a military action can take place with such low support.

Obama might not care much about the numbers, MM, but as Frodo notes, with those low numbers Congress isn't going to sanction it.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2013, 10:04:50 AM »

It will pass the Senate and maybe even the house. Both sides are falling in line. Even if it doesn't, I think Obama will strike anyway, which I like. It's beginning to remind me of my boy dubya.

Just to be clear, I think Obama has the constitutional authority to strike.  I think it is a bad decision in this case.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2013, 11:54:53 AM »

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2013, 01:56:08 PM »

It does remind me of Dubya, which I hate.  I favor striking Assad's regime, but if Congress does not authorize it, we should not strike.  And if Obama authorizes the use of force anyway, he should be impeached, even tho I know there's no chance he'd be convicted.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2013, 01:59:51 PM »

It does remind me of Dubya, which I hate.  I favor striking Assad's regime, but if Congress does not authorize it, we should not strike.  And if Obama authorizes the use of force anyway, he should be impeached, even tho I know there's no chance he'd be convicted.

Ernest, do you really think it will pass the House?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2013, 02:10:39 PM »

Don't know, but since Obama's been signaling that as far as he's concerned this is all theatre and he'll do what he wants anyway, I'm not worrying about counting how many chickenhawks will hatch in Congress.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2013, 02:22:08 PM »

Don't know, but since Obama's been signaling that as far as he's concerned this is all theatre and he'll do what he wants anyway, I'm not worrying about counting how many chickenhawks will hatch in Congress.

I'm going to change my tune and bet he backs down without Congressional approval.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2013, 02:23:49 PM »

Defeated in the House and passes in the Senate, because this is America.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2013, 08:32:05 PM »

Report: McCain Says He Won’t Support Senate’s Syria Resolution

Cheesy
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2013, 08:54:50 PM »

Didn't he vote for it in Cmte today?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2013, 08:58:03 PM »

Ah, it appears he flopped after the Committee adopted an amendment.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2013, 10:37:50 PM »

He must not have heard any good evidence presented at the hearing. Which isn't surprising considering that he spent the whole f-ing time playing poker on his smartphone.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies