The Syria Resolution
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:26:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Syria Resolution
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Where will it pass, if at all?
Passes the House

Defeated in the House

Passes the Senate

Defeated in the Senate

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: The Syria Resolution  (Read 4098 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2013, 11:23:11 PM »

He must not have heard any good evidence presented at the hearing. Which isn't surprising considering that he spent the whole f-ing time playing poker on his smartphone.

Anything interesting or relevant was covered in the closed hearings, not in the hearings that were done for the benefit of the public and the politicians' image.  If there is a convincing argument in favor of the Administration's policy, neither you nor I will hear it.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2013, 06:05:56 PM »

It is not looking good for President Obama at all in the House...

President Obama could lose big on Syria in House

By JOHN BRESNAHAN and JAKE SHERMAN | 9/5/13 6:27 PM EDT

If the House voted today on a resolution to attack Syria, President Barack Obama would lose — and lose big.

That’s the private assessment of House Republican and Democratic lawmakers and aides who are closely involved in the process.

If the Senate passes a use-of-force resolution next week — which is no sure thing — the current dynamics suggest that the House would defeat it. That would represent a dramatic failure for Obama, and once again prove that his sway over Congress is extraordinarily limited. The loss would have serious reverberations throughout the next three months, when Obama faces off against Congress in a series of high-stakes fiscal battles.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/09/obama-syria-house-vote-96347.html?hp=t1
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2013, 08:24:01 PM »

I see and I hope you see the game that is going to get played. First we will do the strikes then all of a dudden Obama will say we must put  troops on the ground and then we have 20,000 people there and we a wasting money there for 10 years.

Hell during that span we might go to Iran for we can have our Iraq-Afghanistan all over again

You mean like the 20,000 ground troops we have in Libya?

Can we finally stop with these sensless Libya comparisons, please?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2013, 09:00:31 PM »

Yeah, it sounds like it's doomed in the House. You might have a majority of Democrats voting against it.

politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2013, 06:33:24 AM »

There's little doubt that this'll pass the Senate. I think it will even get above 60 votes, but I'm not seeing it get to 70.

Unless things change fast and the President is extremely convincing in his speech to the nation, this will easily fail in the House. Members of Congress are getting calls nearly unanimously opposed to strikes. You can't underestimate the effect of that. I think I said a few days ago that at that time it would have been no more than 180 in support. That number may have actually dropped to 160-170. A strong majority of Republicans are not going to support this. If even a simple majority of Democrats oppose it as well (as may very well happen). this resolution will be defeated decisively in the House. Party leadership simply does not have enough control over votes on issues of war. This is an issue where conscience has supremacy over party.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2013, 10:12:53 AM »

Passes in the bad chamber (the Senate), Teabagger-Progressive alliance kills it in the House.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2013, 01:16:59 PM »

Passes in the bad chamber (the Senate), Teabagger-Progressive alliance kills it in the House.

They don't want to go to war for oil. Who could blame them?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2013, 04:19:55 PM »

They don't want to go to war for oil. Who could blame them?

Syria is not a major oil producer.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2013, 05:28:58 PM »

There's little doubt that this'll pass the Senate. I think it will even get above 60 votes, but I'm not seeing it get to 70.

Unless things change fast and the President is extremely convincing in his speech to the nation, this will easily fail in the House. Members of Congress are getting calls nearly unanimously opposed to strikes. You can't underestimate the effect of that. I think I said a few days ago that at that time it would have been no more than 180 in support. That number may have actually dropped to 160-170. A strong majority of Republicans are not going to support this. If even a simple majority of Democrats oppose it as well (as may very well happen). this resolution will be defeated decisively in the House. Party leadership simply does not have enough control over votes on issues of war. This is an issue where conscience has supremacy over party.

I doubt they'll get to 60 in the Senate unless Obama's speech is a game changer. There are too many Democrats coming out against it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies