Proposal: Game where I simulate polls and you try to predict "elections"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:20:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Proposal: Game where I simulate polls and you try to predict "elections"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Proposal: Game where I simulate polls and you try to predict "elections"  (Read 755 times)
Nichlemn

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 25, 2014, 08:26:01 AM »

I notice in threads discussing opinion polls, there's a lot of talk about "junk polls", "junk pollsters", and predictions where people put a lot  of weighting on their favourite polls. I was thinking that it could be interesting if the bad pollsters and true support levels were knowable, so we could test how good you are at evaluating polls and making predictions.

The way I'm thinking it would work: there's a two party system and polls measure a simple Party A or Party B vote. (I could try make up a back story to make it more interesting). The support level for each party changes every month (in the story, in reality each post could have many months of polls), by a random number generator. Then, I simulate a whole bunch of pollsters "polling" each time, with varying degrees and types of bias. Maybe some systematically favour one party, maybe some systematically overestimate swings, maybe some are just made up manually by me (representing a fraudulent pollster). Every so often, there's an "election" you have to predict. After a modest number of elections, the next exercise is to guess how each of the pollsters is biased.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 09:15:38 AM »

I would be interested. Sounds like fun Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70