2000 Election Game: Campaign Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:58:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  2000 Election Game: Campaign Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: 2000 Election Game: Campaign Thread  (Read 91845 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« on: September 03, 2013, 05:46:01 PM »
« edited: September 07, 2013, 04:17:21 PM by Acting Governor Lumine »

Quayle 2000:

The Quayle Team:

Campaign Manager: Kyle E. McSlarrow.
Deputy Campaign Manager: John Peshong.
Senior Strategist: John McConnell.
Press Secretary: Craig Whitney.
Chief Fundraising Officer: Richard Norman.
Campaign Pollster: Kellyanne Fitzpatrick.

Iowa Chief of Operations: Keith Fortmann.
New Hampshire Chief of Operations: John McConnell.
Political Strategists: Gary Geipel and Tom Hudson.
Special Adviser: Marilyn Quayle.

Vice President Dan Quayle's Schedule: (November 1-6)Sad

"I believe in a new America, an America which faces the 21st Century with a renewed and strong vision. In this campaign we work to reclaim the values that made America great: Respect, responsibility, courage, patriotism, integrity. There is no doubt about it that today America is number one militarily, economically, scientifically, technologically, but you know even though we are number one, we know that something is missing. And that's why we are fighting, to reach the end of a dishonest decade with Bill Clinton, Al Gore and the so called new democrats."

November 1st:

Barnstorm in Davenport, IA.
Barnstorm in Waterloo, IA.
Rally in Ames, IA.
Rally in Des Moines, IA.
Fundraiser in Des Moines, IA.
Hiring more staffers for Des Moines Iowa HQ.

"The media seems fixated on a single word: potato. You can watch it everyday, a lot of people honestly believe that I'm clueless, and that I have no idea what I'm talking about. But I'm going to prove them wrong with your help, and I'm going to show and convince the American people of who the real Dan Quayle is, a conservative fighter that wants to give America a better future. My rivals are strong, and the road won't be easy. People may be hard to convince, but we can do this. I know we can do this! Therefore, and to prove the media that their whole perception is wrong, our campaign will be far more open to press than previous campaigns. Join us on this tour of America, and we will welcome you!"

November 2nd:

Barnstorm in Cedar Rapids, IA.
Rally in Cedar Rapids, IA.
Rally in Ames, IA.
Meetings with Republican officers across the state.
Private dinner with Gov. Terry Branstad (more than an endorsement, asking him to remain neutral).

"I think that I'm a candidate that combines two of the biggest factions of the GOP: Conservatives and the establishment. That doesn't make me a compassionate conservative, because I think that labeling your self like that is surrendering your values. No, I believe I appeal to conservatives because I have a conservative world view, because I fight for conservative causes. And I also think the establishment will help me, because I was George Bush's Vice President. I worked with him, I helped him, and I want to restore the good days of Bush in the White House. Will you help me achieve that?"

November 3rd:

Bus Tour in Council Bluffs, IA.
Bus Tour in Iowa City, IA.
Bus Tour in Bettendorf, IA.
Town Hall in Boone, IA.
Town Hall in Spencer, IA.
Rally in Sioux City, IA.

"Some people ask me if my national fifth place should be worrying, given my status as Vice President. And I say no, because I'm used to be the underdog. I was the underdog when running for Congress, and I won. I was the underdog against Birch Bayh on the Senate, and I won. They said George Bush and I couldn't beat Gov. Dukakis, and guess what? We won. This campaign is not different, and me and the Quayle 2000 team are ready to lead America into the next millennium!"

November 4th:

Rally in Dubuque, IA.
Rally in Ankeny, IA.
Rally in Urbandale, IA.
Town Hall in Clinton, IA.
Town Hall in Fort Dodge, IA.

"See, I was reviewing some old news from yesterday, and something quite interesting happened on New Hampshire. Jack Kemp said he was the one with more experience, and he mentioned Mrs. Dole and General Powell as well. I'm sorry, Mr. Kemp, but I think I can speak up more about true experience. Not only I have served on the House and the Senate, but I was the Vice President of the United States of America. If that's not experience, I don't know what is."

November 5th:

Barnstorm in Nashua, NH.
Barnstorm in Rochester, NH.
Rally in Concord, NH.
Rally in Manchester, NH.
Fundraiser in Manchester, NH.
Meeting with Gov. John Sununu in Manchester, NH. (seeking endorsement)

"John, look, I think we worked pretty well during our time in the White House, and I have always been thankfull for your support. Now comes the big challenge, the months before the showdowns at Iowa and New Hampshire, and I need your support. You have talked with my staff before, you helped me a great deal during the first months and with the donors, and I'd like to officially have you at my side as my crusader. Will you help me do this?"

November 6th:

Fundraiser in Phoenix, AZ.
Rally in Phoenix, AZ.
Rally in Los Angeles, CA.
Rally in San Francisco, CA.
Fundraisers on California.
Meeting with Gov. Pete Wilson in Sacramento, CA. (seeking endorsement)

"It's so good to be back on Arizona! I have to tell you, I'm still in love with this state after living a few years in here, and I have a great deal of trust with Arizona voters. Sure, I know Senator McCain comes from here, but I know I have a good shot at winning this primary. I won't write any states off, so I'll be back here very soon. Now, what I really want to say today is that we must have the courage to lead, the courage to change, the courage to believe in ourselves, and I'm here to tell you that I will lead the fight for our values and for our families. "
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 11:24:18 PM »

Press Conference at Quayle 2000 HQ in Phoenix, Arizona:

Reporter #1: Mr. Vice President, what are your thoughts on the recent developments of the race?
Quayle: Well, I have to say that I'm quite pleased with them. Voters seem to be reacting in a very positive way to our message of real conservatism, and we are rising in Iowa and New Hampshire.
Reporter #2: And what about the Democratic race?
Quayle: Sorry, what race? It's beginning to look like Senator Mikulski is the only one really concerned with her campaign, and I find that very sad when compared to a GOP race full of activity. If anything, this proves that our party has the enthusiasm to take back the White House.
Reporter #3: Well, some voters have expressed their concerns about your several gaffes, Mr. Vice President...
Quayle: And they also say I have always been a deer caught on the headlights, I know. But I'm fighting to change that false perception, and if I'm rising on the polls that means that people are beginning to listen.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 04:44:18 PM »

Vice President Dan Quayle's Schedule: (November 7-13)Sad

"Winning this election is more than likely for us, and we can do it! Time after time pundits and the media have written us off due to past mistakes, but we are slowly proving them wrong. Day after day, more people join the Quayle 2000 effort, and it fills me with pride to see so many people working for our campaign. Marilyn and I are a 100% sure that things will just keep improving from now on!"

November 7th:

Strategy meetings at Campaign HQ in Phoenix, AZ.
Hiring more staffers and volunteers to create a national network.
Fly to Texas.
Meeting with Governor George W. Bush (seeking endorsement) at Governor's mansion in Austin, TX.
Dinner with Former President George HW Bush (seeking endorsement) at West Oaks.

"Mr. President, I have come to officially ask for your support in the Presidential race. I know it's still early, sir, but your help could prove decisive on this field. I want to return to the good times of your administration and the time in which we served together. Perhaps you might choose to stay away from this one, or even endorse other capable candidates like Powell, but I still feel it's my duty to ask four your support. What do you say, Mr. President? For old times sake?"

November 8th:

Fly to New Hampshire.
Rally with Gov. John Sununu in Manchester, NH.
Rally with Gov. John Sununu in Nashua, NH.
Town Hall in Derry, NH.
Town Hall in Keene, NH.

"Hi, how are you? Convincing young people like yourself to vote and get involved in politics in perhaps a hard task, but it is a rewarding one. Specially in times like this, when we are fighting to get America into a safe 21th century and change the way we do business around here. And perhaps you might disagree with my views, or perhaps you believe the media when they imply that I'm dumb or even half witted, but I think you should vote and voice your opinion any way."

November 9th:

Bus Tour in Dubuque, IA.
Bus Tour in Ames, IA.
Bus Tour in Ankeny, IA.
Fundraiser in Cedar Rapids, IA.

"This campaign fights for two things: A strong America, and the values of our country! In 1992 Mr. Clinton won the Presidency by saying he would focus on domestic affairs instead of meddling with foreign policy, and he has done a bad job with international events and a lousy job with domestic ones. I have foreign experience as Vice President, and my work in Congress and as a Senator proves that I'm ready to face domestic policy."

November 10th:

Bus Tour in Sioux City, IA.
Bus Tour in Cedar Falls, IA.
Bus Tour in Urbandale, IA.
Rally in Des Moines, IA.

"Do any of you remember my first national debate against Senator Bentsen? I'm not going to lie, I did badly on that one. And you know what? Because while I was ready to take the job of the Vice Presidency, I wasn't media savvy. I wasn't used to the press trying to strangle you with trick questions, and that was a big disadvantage. The years have made me wiser and stronger, and this Dan Quayle is ready to fight and win!"

November 11th:

Town Hall in Burlington, IA.
Town Hall in Fort Dodge, IA.
Rally in Muscatine, IA.
Rally in Coralville, IA.

"President Clinton likes to brag about his foreign policy and the peace he supposedly has kept. But I tend to disagree. See, the United States is now spending less than 3% of GDP on military, and the lowest level since 1938. What I see here is that the current administration is not following a true defense policy...but playing defensive politics. National security should be a top priority on the public agenda, and you can trust me to keep America safe."

November 12th:

Barnstorm Bettendorf, IA.
Barnstorm Clinton, IA.
Barnstorm Mason City, IA.
Rally in West Des Moines, IA.
Rally in Council Bluffs, IA.

"Look, my economic views are simple. To have a healthy environment, we've got to have a healthy economy. We have to change and improve fuel efficiency standards, we have to give Congress a bigger participation on this, and we must have a Balanced Budget Amendment. Everybody says that our economy is strong thanks to President Clinton, but it was President Bush who started that, and we can always improve the way we handle the economy."

November 13th:

Fly to Michigan.
Rally in Detroit, MI.
Rally in Grand Rapids, MI.
Rally in Lansing, MI.
Rally in Flint, MI.

"Some people speak of major changes on drug policy, they speak about ending the war on drugs. I think the Federal Government has surrendered on this war, and that is nothing short of shameful. They say it's too costly, that it doesn't work, that we can't win it. But they are wrong. Moral leaders and must win this war, and we can win it by opposing legalization and having a strong international strike force."
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 05:04:38 PM »

Dan Quayle Ad#1: Family FighterSad

States: Iowa, New Hampshire, Michigan and Arizona.

Voiceover: The past years have spelled out a lot of trouble for the American family, and the issue has been ignored. Families split away, parental autority is gone and nobody tries to do something... Except one man, Dan Quayle, who has constantly been the one who fights for the American familiy.

Quayle: It's about time we do something to help the families of the United States, and it has nothing to do with big government reforms as some people want. I want to see an agenda of family values, to reduce tax burdens on families, to promote at-home parents via tax cuts, so we can see our families recovering their strenght. They said I was wrong about Murphy Brown, but is the American family stronger now?

Voiceover: Vice President Dan Quayle, the only one who takes a firm stand for our families.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 03:33:58 PM »

Former President Bush holds an event with Dan Quayle, John Sununu and other Quayle loyalists, endorses Former VP:

President Bush: "...As I was saying, during the 1988 election, I was looking for a young Republican leader who could be my Vice President, and there were several great choices. I went with Dan then, I don't regret that choice. He was always loyal, confident and capable, and he always did the best job possible: in the Space Council, negotiating with Congress, dealing with a potential coup in the Philippines, debating now Vice President Gore or in the campaign trail. Ladies and gentlemen, Dan Quayle is the man who will lead you to the next millennium, and I'm proud to give him my full and enthusiastic support to be our President! (Applause)

Former Vice President Dan Quayle seems to be outperforming expectations on the Republican primary race, after being endorsed this morning by two very well known republicans: the popular Texas Governor George W. Bush (who refused to run for the Presidency this year) and former President George Bush, who held a joint event with Quayle in Texas.

Having the support of former Chief of Staff Sununu, Former President Bush and Texas Governor George W. Bush, Quayle looks forward to become the one and only "Bush Heir". And polls don't seem to disagree, since national polling shows him on a strong third, right before General Colin Powell and the frontrunner, Secretary Jack Kemp.

Can Quayle keep beating expectations or will his campaign (that was very weak and disorganized until September) implode anytime soon?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 07:28:35 PM »

Vice President Dan Quayle's Schedule: (November 14-20)Sad

Dan Quayle's speech arriving on Texas, right before President Bush's endorsement:

"Boy, people love using the potato quote over and over again. I made a mistake by misspelling one word, but they say nothing about my policies or my ideas, they just try to ridicule me. And they laugh at me, but the more people I talk to, the more comments about the press being unfair on me I hear. Senator Joe Biden, my former and esteemed colleage in the Senate, also has a tendency to speak too quickly sometimes, and we all still think of him as what he is, a talented and brilliant politician. But no, they'll say potato over and over again... I'm going to show them what a Vice President of the United States can do! (Applause from the crowd)"

November 14th:

Fly to Texas, host a campaign event and fundraiser with John Sununu, George W. Bush and Former President George HW Bush at West Oaks.
Return to Campaign HQ in Phoenix, AZ:
-Looking over polls.
-Debate training session.
-Strategy meetings with George W. Bush and John Sununu.

"Most of you people know me. I served with you for four years in the Bush White House, and those were magnificent years. I miss those years, don't you? I want us to return to the right path in America, a path that will be carved by our campaign, which will combine solid conservative values with the ideals of the Bush Presidency. Jack (Kemp) also served with us during that time, and most of you remember the divisive fights John (Sununu) and I had with him when some people tried to make him domestic policy tsar. I don't blame Jack, he is a brilliant man, but you can't lead with divisive politics."

November 15th:

Town Hall in Newton, IA.
Town Hall in Indianola, IA.
Town Hall in Spencer, IA.
Rally in Des Moines, IA.

"You know, I had a very good laugh before starting this event. It looks like we have an internal polling fever over here... See, the Kemp campaign has us tied with the Secretary here in Iowa, and he leads pretty much everywhere else. But my internal polls could say that I'm winning by 50%, and tomorrow General Powell could be leading with 50% and, tomorrow Senator McCain could be leading by 50%, and so forth... The polls help, but this is all about ground game. And Iowa, you are seeing Dan Quayle's A game right now!"

November 16th:

Town Hall in Clive, IA.
Town Hall in Altoona, IA.
Town Hall in Burlington, IA.
Fundraiser in Cedar Rapids, IA.

"China? Sure, I have no problem answering that question... Foreign policy is one of my favourite areas because it allows us to show the best, and sometimes the worst, of America. And I'm not very supportive of the Clinton Administration policies on China. Here's my take: We must face China as our biggest challenge. We have to stand up against Chinese espionage, we must push for democracy and human rights, we have to give more support to Taiwan and our asian allies who feel threatened by China. If we don't act know, Asia is going to become a highly dangerous place."

November 17th:
(With George W. Bush)

Bus Tour in Sioux City, IA.
Bus Tour in Iowa City, IA.
Bus Tour in Council Bluffs, IA.
Fundraiser in Davenport, IA.
Rally in Davenport, IA.

"Hello, Davenport! Please give a warm welcome to Vice President Quayle! You know, many people asked me to run this year for President, and I almost jumped into the race. But then I realized that my dad was a sucessfull President because he had tons of experience. So I'll guess Presidential politics will have to wait. That said, Dan here has the experience, the passion and the values. If you are a Republican and you want to win in 2000, he's your man."

November 18th:
(With George W. Bush)

Bus Tour in Waterloo, IA.
Bus Tour in West Des Moines, IA.
Bus Tour in Cedar Falls, IA.
Fundraiser in Ames, IA.
Rally in Ames, IA.

"I feel education is not being properly addressed on this race. And it's a legitimate issue, we're talking about the future of this country. And the thing about education is that we often ignore the details and the biggest issues at the same time. You can't mention God on the schools and parental and teacher's autority is being undermined by our regulation. My proposals are simple, like experimenting with charter schools and parental choice."

November 19th:

Rally in Dubuque, IA.
Rally in Urbandale, IA.
Rally in Marion, IA.
Rally in Bettendorf, IA.

"Tomorrow I leave the state to meet with Republicans of several decisive states, Iowa! But I'll be back soon to listen to you, to keep track of your problems, to take Iowa as an example and as my launching pad. I'm not hiding it, the Quayle comeback begins here, in Iowa. And next week I'm going to give you even better reasons for voting for me. Because at the end of next week I'll release my real campaign platform, at a rally in Des Moines. Be sure to attend next week!"

November 20th:

Fundraiser and meeting with GOP officers in New York City.
Fundraiser and meeting with GOP officers in Washington DC.
Fly to Detroit, Michigan, dinner with Governor John Engler. (seeking endorsement).

"To be honest, I'm taking this campaign with the best possible attitude. But it's going to get very ugly... Attacks will begin soon, and this primary may come grueling and vicious if we let things get out of control. But I won't shy away, and I will fight until our efforts can't go on or until we get to the White House. I'm not running to sell books, to regain influence or to avoid ridicule, ladies and gentlement. I'm running because I'm going to be the President of the United States!"
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 08:05:39 PM »

OOC: Three candidates may have dropped out, but this is starting to get very interesting!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 09:16:22 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2013, 09:53:35 PM by Acting Governor Lumine »

Dan Quayle Ad#2: Quayle, Conservative FighterSad

States: Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Michigan and Arizona.

Voiceover: The end of the 20th Century approaches, and so does the Clinton era. America needs a new leader to take America to the right track and change this country, and we have a candidate who can achieve that, Dan Quayle. Some people ridicule him, some people like to call him a lightweight, but there's something you can't deny about him: he's a true fighter.

Quayle: Hi, I'm Dan Quayle, and I'm running for President because America needs a true conservative leader, and because that leader must regain the spirit of the Reagan-Bush years. As a Congressman, Senator and Vice President I have consistently fought for our values and for the strength of America, and I'm ready to carry on that mission.

Voiceover: Vote for Dan Quayle, the Conservative Fighter for the 21st Century.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 10:02:44 PM »

Vice President Dan Quayle's Schedule: (November 21-27)Sad

"I'm proud of the campaign we are running. I'm proud of our values, proud of our volunteers, proud of our efforts. Iowa has given our campaign a really warm welcome during this month, and it's time for us to double our efforts and take a tour of early states before we release the first version of the Quayle 2000 platform. And this is my pledge to you, right now: Before we get to Iowa we are going to have a new frontrunner very soon!"

November 21st:

Meetings with Former Secretary James Baker in Houston, TX. (Seeking endorsement)
Fly to Florida.
Rally in Orlando, FL.
Rally in Jacksonville, FL.
Fundraiser in Miami, FL.

"I feel I have to ask the question, where is Governor Mack? I honestly wish he would return to the campaign trail, he is a great guy after all. In the meantime, allow me to make the case for my campaign... You see, the thing about the GOP is that our best road to victory is articulating our message in the most honest way possible. And you won't see me doubting or pandering, my beliefs are firm, and I stand where I stand."

November 22nd:
(With George W. Bush)

Rally in Rock Hill, SC.
Rally in Dutch Fork, SC.
Barnstorm Columbia, SC.
Fundraiser in Columbia, SC.

"Now we begin our small and humble efforts in the great state of South Carolina. As you know, I have devoted a lot of time to Iowa, but I'll be just as happy by spending three days among the people here. South Carolina is a deeply conservative state, a state that really gets what we want for America, and I'm sure that the people will listen to what we have to say. Yes, I'm really down in the polls here, but the Iowa polls said the same a month ago!"

November 23rd:
(With George W. Bush)

Town Hall in Greenville, SC.
Town Hall in Pontiac, SC.
Barnstorm in Charleston, SC.
Rally in Charleston, SC.

"Let's face it, one of things I learned on Washington was that there's a zone of ambiguity that's perfectly acceptable in the political arena. Still, I think that from time to time, the President steps out of that zone. Bill Clinton has trouble telling the truth, and that's something I believe today. What I can offer to you is a White House without scandals, a government with honor and integrity. I'm not a man of scandals, after all."

November 24th:
(With George W. Bush)

Town Hall in Greenville, SC.
Town Hall in Pontiac, SC.
Barnstorm in Charleston, SC.
Rally in Charleston, SC.

"I stopped trying to ignore the gaffe problem a few weeks ago. It's going to come everytime our campaign gets something right, so I feel I should be honest with you here. When I was campaigning a few days ago, I saw a small sign before one of my rallies, and it was a single word: potatoe. So you see, voters still remember that small incident. But here's what I got to say: Who took damage from that? Nobody but myself. Policies cause damage and benefits, not making a mistake in a single letter. Day after day, Bill Clinton's policies are the ones who create harm, those are the things that break the trust in our government."

November 25th:
(With John Engler)

Breakfast with Former Secretary Lamar Alexander in Nashville, Tennessee. (Seeking endorsement)
Barnstorm Grand Rapids, MI.
Barnstorm Lansing, MI.
Barnstorming Detroit, MI.
Rally in Detroit, MI.

"Good afternoon, Michigan! I'm proud to campaign here with your Governor, a man I truly admire. John Engler is one of the best leaders that our party has, and that's not something we can take lightly. We need good leaders, we need moral leaders, we need conservative leaders. If you have someone who is efficient, moral and conservative then I think you should stop searching for a candidate..."

November 26th:
(With John Sununu)

Town Hall in Salem, NH.
Town Hall in Berlin, NH.
Barnstorm in Manchester, NH.
Rally in Concord, NH.

November 27th:

Rally in Davenport, IA.
Rally in Ames, IA.
Volunteer recruiting in Des Moines, IA.
Opening the Iowa for Quayle HQ in Des Moines, IA.
Massive Rally in Des Moines, IA, unveiling of Quayle's platform.

"Did you missed me? (Laughs) I really have to thank social conservative voters across this state, because their support is making our campaign get back to life. We are getting more organised, we are gaining steady support, and now I offer to you my vision to get on the 21st Century. I want lower taxes, less federal regulation, a smaller government, incentives to spark private investment, family values being truly addressed, welfare reform, radical educational reform, a stronger defense and an assertive and engaged foreign policy... And ladies and gentlemen, these are not empty promises. Those are the principles, views and goals for which I will always stand for!"
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 07:23:45 PM »

OOC: Ouch for Mikulski! That's what I call backfire...
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 09:15:53 PM »

Dan Quayle Debate Response:

"First of all, I'd like to thank the RNC for this debate and Mr. Cain for moderating our small, merry and humble fight to the death... (laughs) But going in a more serious tone, I faced this question in 1988, and in that year I saw myself as prepared to be President and Vice-President. Twelve years later I stand before you as a former Vice-President, a former Senator, a former Congressman. I have both Legislative experience and executive experience, and during my whole life I fought hard for social values, for all of the ideals the GOP wants for America...

Jack Kemp seems to believe that dollars and budgets are everything here, but the economy alone won't get us anywhere. I believe the only way we can win elder voters and young voters is by creating a coherent alternative to Bill Clinton, an alternative that has covered all sides of the issues Americans face right now. Those voters only remember President Clinton, and I will offer them what Clinton failed to do: An honest and clean White House, a dignified and coherent foreign policy, support for their families and an optimistic view of our future. I want to reach out to their enthusiasm, to their energy, to their desires for a real and stable future.

And not only I want to do that, you see: I can do it. I have executive, economic and legislative experience, I'm tested and I have been there, I wrote bills, I negotiated with Congress, I took over in moments of crisis, and I stood up for my values even in the face of open ridicule and contempt, even when I was the laughing stock of some. Those ones will refuse to admit it, but with all due respect to my fellow Republicans, I'm the most qualified person in this room"
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 04:42:31 PM »
« Edited: September 18, 2013, 05:01:00 PM by Acting Governor Lumine »

Vice President Dan Quayle's Schedule: (November 28-December 4)Sad

"Yes, I know: Dan Quayle is here again? Yes, Iowa is a state that matters a lot to me, politically and personally. I feel welcome here, and I'm beginning to feel welcome in New Hampshire and South Carolina as well. At this rate, I might even begin to fire up the crowds! With less than two months before the primaries start, and after a great month, the Quayle effort goes on!"

November 28th:

Barnstorm in Ames, IA.
Barnstorm in Davenport, IA.
Rally in Marion, IA.
Rally in Bettendorf, IA.

"Please remember to watch the debate! It's not going to be easy, since Senator McCain is a great debater and General Powell has a great sense of gravitas, but I hope this will help me overcome my weaknesses in the eyes of the media. I mean, I think I'm redeeming myself right now, but what do you think?"

November 29th:

Bus Tour in Clinton, IA.
Bus Tour in Burlington, IA.
Rally in Johnston, IA.
Rally in Clive, IA.
Town Hall in Pella, IA.

"I want to go every corner of Iowa, to every city, to every town, to make my case. Sure, I could easily go to the big cities and try and win with rallies only, but where's the fun in that? Rural America is a place that often forget about, and we have to change that as soon as possible. A President cannot forget about any part or any kind of person in America, and you can expect me to remember very well the lessons Iowa will teach me."

November 30th:

Barnstorm in Mason City, IA.
Barnstorm in Marshalltown, IA.
Rally in Newton, IA.
Rally in Clive, IA.
Fundraiser in Ames, IA.

"I was very close to quitting the race a few weeks ago. The Iowa straw poll, low polling, the endless jokes about my potatoe gaffe... But look where we stand now, tied in second with General Powell and very close to the frontrunner. Both of them are good men, and I wish them well, but they will have to be very careful from now on... (Silence) Dan Quayle is back!"

December 1st:

Rally in Manchester, NH.
Fundraiser in Manchester, NH.
Barnstorm in Manchester, NH.
Rally in Nashua, NH.
Barnstorm in Nashua, NH.

"Boy, I have to start going to New Hampshire more often. Some say my chances are greater in Iowa and South Carolina, where social conservatives vote in greater numbers, and they say that I shouldn't bother here. But they are wrong. New Hampshire is a state with defined economic and foreign views, and I think my campaign mirrors those ideals: a strong, stable America which cares more about the middle class."

December 2nd:

Town Hall in Lebanon, NH.
Town Hall in Londonderry, NH.
Town Hall in Dover, NH.
Rally in Concord, NH.
Voter Registration efforts in New Hampshire HQ.

"Are you registered yet? And you, are you registered yet? We to defeat apathy in our elections and increase the turnout, because otherwise a handful of people will decide for the majority. Richard Nixon spoke of the silent majority years ago, and he was right. You don't have to go out at the streets to make your case, but here's my advice to you: vote. Find a candidate that suits your ideals, and vote for him. They say a single vote is useless, but every vote counts."

December 3rd:

Bus Tour in Summerville, SC.
Bus Tour in Pontiac, SC.
Bus Tour in Greenville, SC.
Rally in Dutch Fork, SC.
Rally in Charleston, SC.

"That Mikulski ad was... how should I say it? You know it better than me. That's not what America wants for the next century, and I agree with Jack Kemp, civil rights is an issue that we must not overlook, specially being the party of Lincoln. The interesting side about this whole scandal is that it shows how divided the Democrats are. Three candidates have dropped out already, the Vice-President refused to run and Senator Daschle announced, what, two weeks ago and he is the presumptive nominee? Give me break..."

December 4th:

Bus Tour in Spartanburg, SC.
Bus Tour in Sumter, SC.
Bus Tour in James Island, SC.
Rally in Rock Hill, SC.
Rally in Columbia, SC.

"Liberals claim that defending our families is an overreach from the government, hypocrisy in our behalf. And there are wrong! The facts are behind us, and while I respect single parent families just as any other family, you can't deny that having two parents makes life easier and more stable for our kids. A strong, stable family helps you in your childhood."

Quayle Surrogates:

George W. Bush on the campaign trail in South Carolina:

"A president has responsibilities. A president can speak without apology for the values that defeat violence and help overcome poverty. A president can speak for abstinence and accountability and the power of faith. We just can't elect anybody to the Presidency, we have to be careful with our choices, with what we want for the future. Dan Quayle is my best choice, and I hope he will be yours."

Lamar Alexander takes a small tour of Iowa:

"I was thinking about running this time, but I finally decided against it. In the end, I went for Dan Quayle as my candidate, and some asked me: Senator, why? Why not McCain, why not Powell? I respect both of them, but I believe in Dan, I saw him in action during the Bush years and I know that he is quite serious when he talks about his ideas."

Sununu makes the case for Quayle in New Hampshire:

''New Hampshire is a state that prefers a close relationship with the candidate, and if you ask us about our changes, I think Quayle will win. It's not only experience and qualifications, he also has the ability to generate trust. We can win because of what I call the next-door-neighbor-people. He meets them, they say: I really think he's great, and far smarter than what they said. Then they talk to their neighbors, and there we go!"
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 09:24:40 PM »

Quayle Response:

"Sorry for taking the extra time, Herman, but I will respond to that. I think we can all agree that when it comes to economic policy Secretary Kemp is one of the best guys we have in the party, and yes, economic policy does web into most issues. What I'm pushing for here is for us to stop putting so much focus on economic policy to recognize we have problems in other areas.

We obviously need economic changes around here, but we are neglecting foreign policy, at a time when the leadership of the United States should be decisive to today's word. We are neglecting social policy at the expense of growth, and what happens when we just care about making money? Sure, we will avoid poverty, but that will not end the problem. Secretary Kemp says that we should stop that discussion, that he is an all front leader, but you, the voter, should remember a simple fact: there are only three guys on this stage with experience and actual accomplishments on foreign policy."
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 04:55:52 PM »

OOC: When is this turn ending?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 05:59:54 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2013, 06:05:08 PM by Midwest Governor Lumine »

OOC: This is why I love these games! They offer endless possibilities, because in real life Kemp would have crushed Quayle in about two seconds in that debate (and in the campaign trail).

By the way, I think I had requested two endorsements in a message some time ago, what will happen with those?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 07:57:53 PM »

The National Right to Life Committee endorses Quayle!

Statement of David N. O'Steen, Ph.D., Executive Director, National Right to Life Committee, and Carol Tobias, NRL PAC Director, December 4, 1999:

On behalf of the National Right to Life Committee, I am proud to announce our endorsement of James Danforth Quayle for President of the United States. Vice-President Quayle has maintained a strong and consistent pro-life position during his years of public service and throughout this campaign, and it has been cleared that some previous statements in 1992 were nothing but a small misunderstanding of his actual views on abortion.

Because there were initially a large number of pro-life candidates in the Republican contest, we decided to endorse after the field was clearer, and now it is that time. As the number of Republican candidates has dwindled, polls show that this is now essentially a four way race between Vice-President Quayle, Senator McCain, General Powell and Secretary Kemp.

Although we acknowledge Secretary Kemp’s pro-life views and his status as the frontrunner, we believe that Vice-President Quayle is the one who best articulates our values this year. We strongly urge all Americans who are concerned about protecting the lives of unborn children, persons with disabilities, and older Americans, to vote for Dan Quayle for President!

Quayle wins Union Leader endorsement:

GOP presidential hopeful Dan Quayle received the endorsement of the influential editorial board of the New Hampshire Union Leader on Sunday, providing another boost to his surging campaign. The endorsement gives the former Vice-President additional momentum after a month which has seen him vault himself into the three top candidates for the nomination, right behind frontrunner Jack Kemp.

"We are in critical need of the innovative, well thought plans of Quayle’s agenda for America, and we also need his positive leadership and the fight for our values that he has shown he is capable of providing," said the editorial by publisher Joseph W. McQuaid.

Quayle spokesperson Craig Whitney said that the campaign was "honored to have the endorsement," calling it "an enormous boost to our campaign”. The newspaper was previously known for giving positive coverage to the Vice-President, but it is rumored that it was John Sununu who got the Union Leader to endorse Quayle, trying to push forward a “New Hampshire Strategy” that the Vice-President will try this week in his Town Hall Tour.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 04:40:53 PM »

OOC: My schedule will be up tonight.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2013, 06:56:49 PM »
« Edited: September 23, 2013, 08:24:51 PM by Midwest Governor Lumine »

Dan Quayle Ad#3: Who is Dan Quayle?Sad

States: Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Alaska and Nevada.

Voiceover: Nobody can deny that Dan Quayle has been the center of attention lately due to his incredible comeback in the Republican Primary race, but even if he is a very visible candidate, some people are still wondering, who is really Dan Quayle? Can we trust him to lead our nation?

Quayle: And I will answer to that question myself. I think of myself as a fighter, as a man who is not afraid to stand up for his beliefs, a man who can provide capable leadership in times of crisis and times of prosperity. I am a conservative, not a social reactionary, a leader who talks and acts fast, not a gaffe machine, a man with experience and accomplishment, not some random guy running for President. Some people disagree, but it's left to you to see my performance, and judge.

Voiceover: Dan Quayle, the real choice for Republicans this year.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2013, 08:17:09 PM »

Vice President Dan Quayle's Schedule: (December 5-December 11)Sad

"Good morning, New Hampshire! Many of you have seen me touring Iowa, touring South Carolina, and as I said the other day, I have neglected New Hampshire, and I deeply apologize for that. But here I go, I will tour New Hampshire for the whole week in a Town Hall based tour, so I can get to understand the state better and prove that our campaign is ready to rise everywhere. Joining me here are Governors Sununu and Engler, and I'm proud to tour the live free or die state with them!"

December 5th:

Rally in Manchester, NH.
Town Hall in Derry, NH.
Town Hall in Keene, NH.
Town Hall in Bedford, NH.
Town Hall in

"New Hampshire is a state proud of supporting economic conservatism, and I couldn't agree more with you. I believe in a balanced budget, I believe in lowering every American's taxes by 30 percent, I believe that we have to eliminate the marriage penalty and death taxes. Some of you may not agree with me, but I assure you that we have to make changes if we are to avoid stagnation."

December 6th:

Rally in Nashua, NH.
Town Hall in Portsmouth, NH.
Town Hall in Goffstown, NH.
Town Hall in Laconia, NH.
Town Hall in Windham, NH.

"Look, I'm going to be really honest with you: I'm not a moderate. I believe in bipartisanship, in working with all sides of our party, but I'm not going to create a false image of myself. Values matter a lot to me, and I think the same goes for you. We want stable and united families, and government can actually help us there without even being intrusive. I pledge to you that I will liberate families from the federal taxes and regulatory burdens that too often forces both parents in a family out of the home and into the workplace."

December 7th:

Rally in Concord, NH.
Town Hall in Claremont, NH.
Town Hall in Pelham, NH.
Town Hall in Londonderry, NH.
Town Hall in Somersworth, NH.

"My foreign policy is about restoring our dignity abroad. With the fall of communism ten years ago the geopolitical strategy of the United States was forced to change, and we still haven't settled on a clear policy to define our relationships with the rest of the world. I will restore respect for American leadership abroad and ensure we are prepared to confront the challenges facing the world's only superpower."

December 8th:

Rally in Rochester, NH.
Town Hall in Amherst, NH.
Town Hall in Exeter, NH.
Town Hall in Durham, NH.
Town Hall in Hampton, NH.

"I'd like to thank the Union Leader for the endorsement, it really means a lot to me. It goes on to prove that New Hampshire is just as likely to listen to my campaign as Iowa is, and I won't abandon this state. Why? Because of conviction, not convenience. I never backed down and I will never give up. Eight years ago some Republicans wanted me out of the ticket, they wanted General Powell, they wanted Jack Kemp, but I held my ground. Don't expect me to do so in this campaign."

December 9th:

Rally in Salem, NH.
Town Hall in Berlin, NH.
Town Hall in Weare, NH.
Town Hall in Hampstead, NH.
Town Hall in Litchfield, NH.

"I'm very pleased with the results so far. Sure, we still have the ocasional heckler that shouts something or tries to do something disruptive, but I have found audiences that listen, audiences that are willing to examinate the candidates, talk to them, engage with them in an open discussion. The New Hampshire voter, as any other voter, is in search of the best choice, and I am to be their only choice."

December 10th:

Rally in Dover, NH.
Town Hall in Milford, NH.
Town Hall in Franklin, NH.
Town Hall in Barrington, NH.
Town Hall in Hannover, NH.

"And now I say a temporary farewell to New Hampshire, but I will return. Next week we go to South Carolina, to Florida, to Nevada, and we are going to make our voices heard across this nation. I have a message that I want to deliver to this nation, and I plan to do so in very state, in every day, in every stage of this primary season. As always, the road is long and hard, but I still look ahead with enthusiasm, with optimism, with confidence. Thanks for taking the time to listen to my proposals, New Hampshire!"

December 11th:

Return to Quayle 2000 National HQ in Phoenix, AZ.
Hold a fundraiser in Phoenix, AZ.
Coordinating the opening of new offices in Florida and Nevada.
Debate Training sessions.

Quayle Surrogates:

John Sununu claims New Hampshire momentum:

"With the Union Leader endorsement and this town hall tour we are expecting to see Quayle rise here. New Hampshire is a very complex state, but as much as I was sure that George Bush would win here in 88' I can assure you that Dan Quayle can win here. We are breaking many of the old ghosts and stereotypes, and people are reacting, crowds are getting bigger, and New Hampshire is beginning to change the course."

John Engler "fully trusts" Quayle:

"As Governor of Michigan I have a solid record in performance, in ideas, in implementing the platform of the GOP. And rest assured, I didn't endorse a candidate just for fun, I endorsed Dan Quayle because he can win and because he can lead this nation. I fully trust him to do his best, and he would make a terrific President... You can also trust me when I say to you that he is our perfect answer to Bill Clinton."
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2013, 08:24:13 PM »

Quayle Press Conference in Manchester, NH:

"Well, apology accepted, Senator Laxalt! I really understand your concerns, but the general election is still far ahead and I'm working very hard to change the way the public sees me now. A few years ago somebody said that I looked like a deer caught in the lights, and things have changed since then. The ad my campaign sent remains on the air because I feel there is a lot of work to be done, and I know that in the end the people will see through those small gaffes and see the real spirit behind this campaign."
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 06:52:23 PM »

Hopefully he will return to the campaign trail, so I agree with Maxwell, it would be best if he announced whether he will withdraw or continue.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 06:53:04 PM »

OOC: Mine will be up tomorrow, I have been incredibly busy.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 10:54:03 AM »
« Edited: September 27, 2013, 06:03:40 PM by Midwest Governor Lumine »

Vice President Dan Quayle's Schedule: (December 12-December 18)Sad

"And now we are competitive everywhere! If that doesn't show the strength of the Quayle 2000 effort, nothing will. Money is flowing in, we are opening new offices, and our polls keep going up. To address General Powell's big efforts in Iowa, and I taking a bus tour as well, that changes the town halls for barnstorming activities. I'll be travelling with Governors Wilson and Bush as well."

December 12th:

Rally in Des Moines, IA.
Barnstorming Iowa City, IA.
Barnstorming
Barnstorming Burlington, IA.
Town Hall in Clinton, IA

"Marilyn and I have been happily married for a very long time. Sure, our family is not perfect, but what family is? It was hard to take care of the family while I was Vice President, but you can always manage to do it as long as you give your best effort. If we give our best effort, if we are aided by a coherent fiscal policy, if we allow parents to take care of what's really important, our quality of life will increase dramatically."

December 13th:

Barnstorming Dubuque, IA.
Barnstorming Marshalltown, IA.
Barnstorming Ottumwa, IA.
Town Hall in Newton, IA.

"Take a stand with me, Iowa, take a stand against the media, against Bill Clinton, against the Democratic Party, against weakness and dishonor in our country. I'm asking you to stand with me so our effort can achieve sucess and win this primary. Winning Iowa will not end the primary, but it will give us a really important boost. We need your help."

December 14th:

Rally in Davenport, IA.
Barnstorming Council Bluffs, IA
Barnstorming Fort Dodge, IA.
Barnstorming Muscatine, IA.
Town Hall in Indianola, IA.

"Hi, how are you? I suppose you must have seen me in my early stops here, sometimes I feel like I shaked every hand in Iowa. See, I understand that voters may get a little bit tired after a while, but I believe that we have to say our message loud and clear and all the times it's necessary for people to understand what we want. And I'll continue to campaign here."

December 15th:

Rally in Ames, IA.
Barnstorming Ankeny, IA.
Barnstorming Coralville, IA.
Barnstorming Johnston, IA.
Town Hall in Anamosa, IA.

"We must take the hard road if we want to suceed at all in this new century that is dawning upon us. We face challenges, we face trouble, but we will face them with optimism and confidence on the message of success and opportunity that America has. Yes, we can have a stronger foreign policy, yes, we can save our family, and yes, we can restore honor to the White House."

December 16th:

Rally in Sioux City, IA.
Barnstorming Urbandale, IA.
Barnstorming Clive, IA.
Barnstorming Altoona, IA.
Town Hall in Vinton, IA.

"All early states show us different sides of the Republican Primary electorate. New Hampshire gives us a message of economic responsibility, South Carolina gives us a mix of family values and the economy, Florida and Nevada have immigration issues and foreign policy, and in Iowa you can find thousands of social conservatives that worry about the state of our family. I'm fighting for all of you, but I think social conservatives do prefer me in some way or another."

December 17th:

Rally in Waterloo, IA.
Barnstorming Marion, IA.
Barnstorming Bettendorf, IA.
Barnstorming Mason City, IA.
Town Hall in Red Oak, IA.

"Right now, when I stand before you after spending such great days in Iowa, I think of the challenges I had to face, and the challenges America faces now. I face what you may call a problem with media perception, and so does the United States of America, that right now has a complicated relationship whit most of the free world. And I was thinking, if I can overcome ridicule on this race, America can most certainly challenge worldwide perceptions."

December 18th:

Meeting with Governor John Kasich in Cincinnati, OH. (Seeking endorsement)
Meeting with Former Speaker Newt Gingrich in Atlanta, GE. (Seeking endorsement)
Fundraisers in Texas with George HW Bush.
Coordinating campaign efforts with Quayle team in Phoenix, AZ.

"Alright, I want campaign offices in all early states, even Florida and Alaska. I know, we will have to take resources we were planning to use on Super Tuesday, but it's worth a try. I want our campaign to be the strongest one when it comes to ground game, and we are not losing to Kemp in that. Understood? Great, gentlemen, let's get to work!"

Quayle Surrogates:

Pete Wilson campaigns with Quayle in Iowa Tour:

"As a former Presidential candidate four years ago I can tell you; it's not easy to run for President. It's hard, you get a lot of fire from the press and your fellow candidates, and it takes a lot of effort to pull out wins. And the Vice President has to overcome that and other major issues from his past, and he is doing a great job. I think he has successfully vindicated himself already by running a great campaign."

Bush hits the trail in Iowa:

"I think Dan is doing pretty well on this race, and he has some very tough competition. The current field has many qualified candidates, just look at General Powell, but I think that Dan should get the nomination for a series of qualities he has: positive leadership, real conservative views, experience and record of getting things done. Iowa knows that."
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 12:44:22 PM »
« Edited: September 27, 2013, 05:39:06 PM by Midwest Governor Lumine »

Quayle 2000:

December 18th:

At Quayle 2000 National Headquarters in Phoenix, AZ, Mr. Craig Whitney, Quayle's Press Secretary gave the press an update on the current state of the Vice President's campaign, and he released a memo to political operatives as well. Let's take a brief look at the announcements Mr. Whitney made today:

-Infraestructure:

-At least six campaign offices in Iowa (Ames, Dubuque, Cedar Rapids, Des Moines, Urbandale and Sioux City) and New Hampshire (Manchester, Nashua, Concord, Rochester, Salem and Dover), three in South Carolina (Charleston, Columbia and Summerville), and now one in Anchorage, AK, Las Vegas and Reno, NV and Miami and Jacksonville, FL. With more campaign offices to be opened soon, the campaign hopes to get the best ground game by early January.

-Three to four buses are ready for the campaign to create a caravan, that Mr. Quayle will be using in a tour series "Southern Tour", beginning next week.

-Staff:

-Richard Norman, the Chief Fundraiser Officer, announces that the campaign will start an ambitious fundraising program so ads can be launched every two weeks in the early states.

-David J. Doyle, Former Chairman of the Michigan Republican Party, will join the Quayle team to coordinate the ground game efforts in the early primary states as "Senior Strategist", outranking most of the team with the exception of Campaign Manager Kyle McSlarrow and fellow Senior Strategist John McConnell.

-Deputy Campaign Manager John Peshong is now in charge of the late primary states that begin voting on March 9, and he is now working closely with Governor Pete Wilson from the state of California, that is being targeted now by the campaign.

-When it comes to the early states, Mr. Doyle has decided that Former Gov. John Sununu, having available time, is to be named Co-Chief of Operations in New Hampshire, aiding John McConnell in the task to create a solid Quayle crew down there. At the same time, Gary Geipel and Tom Hudson, the political strategists behind Mr. Quayle's organization during the Iowa Straw Poll, will be leading efforts in Iowa along with the Iowa Chief of Operations, Keith Formann.

-Polling:

-Kellyanne Fitzpatrick, Quayle's pollster, announced that new internal polls have Quayle ahead in Iowa by two to three points, and tied for first place in New Hampshire and South Carolina. They also show that the campaign has strong second places in Florida, Nevada and Alaska, disproving the myth that Vice President Quayle only has Iowa as a launching pad.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 09:47:58 PM »

(Evil laughter)

To be honest, I don't plan on making such detailed schedules forever, but one or two won't hurt at all...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies