Colorado Constituents Recalling (2) State Senators for Gun Control Vote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:59:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Colorado Constituents Recalling (2) State Senators for Gun Control Vote
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Colorado Constituents Recalling (2) State Senators for Gun Control Vote  (Read 14207 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2013, 11:20:04 PM »

Overall, this has been a good night for Colorado Democrats since it will teach them not to swing too far to the left.

Yes, indeed. Same goes for North Carolina republicans who are already looking bad.
NC Republicans though, have a guaranteed majority in the GA, an advantage that the Colorado Dems lack. (Although the chances of the Colorado state legislature going R in 2014 is fairly slim due to other reasons).
Democrats held the NC Legislature as recently as 2010.  Was the 2011 redistricting that fullproof?

Short answer: yes. North Carolina 2011 redistricting was pretty damn vicious. You'd need a massive wave for the Dems to even have a shot at taking it back.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #101 on: September 14, 2013, 11:22:29 PM »

Overall, this has been a good night for Colorado Democrats since it will teach them not to swing too far to the left.

Yes, indeed. Same goes for North Carolina republicans who are already looking bad.
NC Republicans though, have a guaranteed majority in the GA, an advantage that the Colorado Dems lack. (Although the chances of the Colorado state legislature going R in 2014 is fairly slim due to other reasons).
Democrats held the NC Legislature as recently as 2010.  Was the 2011 redistricting that fullproof?

The Republicans did a pretty damn good job with redistricting.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2013, 11:26:29 PM »

The worst district, IMO, is Senate District 19:
http://www.ncleg.net/GIS/Download/District_Plans/DB_2011/Senate/Rucho_Senate_2/Maps/ByCounty/Cumberland.pdf
BigSkyBob

« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2013, 12:11:17 AM »

You seem to have a problem with both democracy and the Constitution. In a democracy, folks can vote with whomever they want for whatever reasons they choose, or no reasons at all. In the Constitution are provisions about the rights of the people to petition their elected representatives, and to speak freely and publicly about the political issues of the day.  The NRA is merely the expression of voters whom you don't respect exercising their Constitutional rights in a manner that frustrates your political interests.

Why are you attacking his constitutional right to express his opinion?

Surely, you see the irony implicit in your remarks.  Where in your universe lies my Constitutional right to express my opinion that his attitude is both anti-democratic and shows a lack of proper respect for the Constitution?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2013, 01:06:17 AM »

Let's face it, we're gonna have start making voting mandatory. I mean it.

So, that would mean forcing the uninformed to vote, to make the democrats win. Sounds fair doesn't it?

Certainly as fair as disallowing the use of the postal vote in this recall election was.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2013, 02:27:13 AM »

Let's face it, we're gonna have start making voting mandatory. I mean it.

So, that would mean forcing the uninformed to vote, to make the democrats win. Sounds fair doesn't it?

Certainly as fair as disallowing the use of the postal vote in this recall election was.

Agreed.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #106 on: October 06, 2013, 10:44:08 AM »

Link

Recall effort begins against state Sen. Evie Hudak

Power to the people!

Sen. Hudak won reelection by less than 1% of the vote in 2012, and then a few months ago was widely criticized for a statement insensitive to rape victims ( http://nation.foxnews.com/gun-control/2013/03/05/colorado-dem-rape-survivor-gun-hearing-statistics-arent-your-side ). Considering turnout and shifts in the CO political atmosphere since November 2012, she should be pretty much dead meat.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #107 on: October 06, 2013, 12:35:23 PM »

Roll Eyes

Second times the charm, I guess.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #108 on: October 06, 2013, 01:29:40 PM »

Well it could affect the 2014 legislative session because the Colorado state senate is now 18D-17R after those previous recalls. So flipping another seat to Republicans would give them control of the chamber. I wonder how many seats each party will have after the Nov. 2014 general election.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #109 on: October 06, 2013, 01:35:54 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2013, 01:45:33 PM by Invisible Obama »

If control did flip, Republicans would just lose it again by overplaying their hand and going too far-right (abortion bills, voter ID, birtherism). The recall target seats are not safe Republican and will be in play even if Republicans don't overplay their hand.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #110 on: October 06, 2013, 01:40:49 PM »

Link

Recall effort begins against state Sen. Evie Hudak

Power to the people!

Sen. Hudak won reelection by less than 1% of the vote in 2012, and then a few months ago was widely criticized for a statement insensitive to rape victims ( http://nation.foxnews.com/gun-control/2013/03/05/colorado-dem-rape-survivor-gun-hearing-statistics-arent-your-side ). Considering turnout and shifts in the CO political atmosphere since November 2012, she should be pretty much dead meat.

If this recall is just like the ones a few weeks ago, then she is dead. However, she looks like she's in a fairly D District, or at least Lean D. You'll have to scroll down a bit to Jefferson County to see Hudak's district (SD 19). But again, we saw what happened to Angela Giron, who was in a Safe D seat.

The other interesting thing about this is that Democrats have the State Senate 18-17 right now (it was 20-15 before the recall). If republicans get this seat, they'll have the control 18-17, which could be interesting.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #111 on: October 06, 2013, 02:16:29 PM »

Well it could affect the 2014 legislative session because the Colorado state senate is now 18D-17R after those previous recalls. So flipping another seat to Republicans would give them control of the chamber. I wonder how many seats each party will have after the Nov. 2014 general election.

That's true, but there was already a recall against Hudak that was unsuccessful, so this is the second attempt.

Does anyone know which Senate seats are up next November?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #112 on: October 06, 2013, 02:59:46 PM »

Does anyone know which Senate seats are up next November?

Here.
Kevinstat

« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2013, 05:26:31 PM »
« Edited: October 13, 2013, 05:31:50 PM by Kevinstat »

That's true, but there was already a recall against Hudak that was unsuccessful, so this is the second attempt.
Collecting the necessary signatures to recall 1 State Senator ought to be easier than collecting the necessary signatures to recall 3 State Senators and a State Representative, particularly now that the recall supporters have momentum from their recent victories.  If Hudak had actually faced a vote since her 2012 victory and her 2013 gun-related votes (and since her controversial comments, which I don't think were that bad but I can see how opponents could make a punch line out of them) and had survived the recall election, then it would be different.
Kevinstat

« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2013, 05:26:57 PM »
« Edited: October 13, 2013, 11:11:05 PM by Kevinstat »

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_Senate#Members_of_the_Colorado_Senate

The two successful Republican candidates from 2012 are both up for reelection next year.  Morse and Giron were last reelected in 2010 from what were probably different lines than those used in 2012 (when they weren't up for reelection) and 2014.  Were the recalls held under the 2010 lines or the 2012/2014 lines?  Or were those lines the same for either district?

Hudak, as has been mentioned, was last reelected in 2012 and will (or his successful recall challenger, if it comes to that) be up for a regularly scheduled reelection in 2016.  The lines presumably have and will remain the same from 2012 through 2020.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2013, 06:16:50 PM »

State Sen. Evie Hudak took one for the team and decided to resign rather than be recalled. Democrats will be able to appoint her successor and that person will be ineligible to be recalled for at least a year. This means he or she won't face the voters until November 2014. Brilliant move if I do say so myself. 

http://kdvr.com/2013/11/27/hudak-will-resign-seat-to-end-recall-threat-hold-democrats-senate-majority/
Obscure
Rookie
United States

« Reply #116 on: November 27, 2013, 08:37:26 PM »

State Sen. Evie Hudak took one for the team and decided to resign rather than be recalled. Democrats will be able to appoint her successor and that person will be ineligible to be recalled for at least a year. This means he or she won't face the voters until November 2014. Brilliant move if I do say so myself. 

http://kdvr.com/2013/11/27/hudak-will-resign-seat-to-end-recall-threat-hold-democrats-senate-majority/

I think she did the right thing. What people don't seem to understand is that the purpose of these recalls isn't to flip control of the legislature. It's to send a message to these cronies that they are to obey the constitution, not their party. It's obvious that we are finally being listened to. And I bet this next Democrat will think twice before voting in favor of more gun control, which is apparently a hot topic in CO.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #117 on: November 27, 2013, 10:11:37 PM »

I think she did the right thing. What people don't seem to understand is that the purpose of these recalls isn't to flip control of the legislature. It's to send a message to these cronies that they are to obey the constitution, not their party. It's obvious that we are finally being listened to. And I bet this next Democrat will think twice before voting in favor of more gun control, which is apparently a hot topic in CO.

Ignoring that Morse and Giron would still be in office if not for bad turnout.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #118 on: November 27, 2013, 10:39:37 PM »

She had to do what she had to do lest actual elections started being totally replaced by recalls. There was already a plan in place to recall a Sen. Vicki Marble who was basically a middle-aged female version of Cartman.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2013, 03:01:10 AM »
« Edited: November 28, 2013, 03:03:03 AM by angryGreatness »

Democrats have landed State Rep. Leroy Garcia (D-Pueblo) to run to reclaim Angela Giron's Senate seat. Garcia voted for background checks, but against the magazine limits.

Makes it even more likely that Democrats win back the seat when the actual electorate shows up in 2014.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #120 on: November 28, 2013, 08:34:42 AM »

Obama carried her former district 58-39. I don't see republicans holding this seat honestly.
Obscure
Rookie
United States

« Reply #121 on: November 28, 2013, 10:34:15 AM »

Yeah, the same way that Democrats ousted two Republicans in recall elections in Wisconsin last year.

Ignoring that Morse and Giron would still be in office if not for bad turnout.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #122 on: November 28, 2013, 10:39:47 AM »

Do you think they are going to try to recall that racist Marble?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #123 on: November 28, 2013, 10:49:14 AM »

Good move, it saves the voters money and shuts down a partisan game.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #124 on: November 28, 2013, 11:35:21 AM »

Not sure how I feel about recalls to be honest.  I guess if somebody is doing an objectively horrible job it would be one thing.  However, I'm not a fan of the mentality that calls for recalling politicians for disagreeing with them on an issue.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies