Colorado Constituents Recalling (2) State Senators for Gun Control Vote (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:08:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Colorado Constituents Recalling (2) State Senators for Gun Control Vote (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Colorado Constituents Recalling (2) State Senators for Gun Control Vote  (Read 14220 times)
Kevinstat

« on: September 09, 2013, 12:12:55 PM »

Are the elections being held under the 2010 lines (which these two Senators were last elected from) or the new lines (which Senators will be elected from in 2014 and which I assume half of the members of the Colorado Senate were elected from in 2012)?  I'm not sure how much the lines are different.
Kevinstat

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 12:28:16 PM »
« Edited: September 09, 2013, 12:31:11 PM by Kevinstat »

Are the elections being held under the 2010 lines (which these two Senators were last elected from) or the new lines (which Senators will be elected from in 2014 and which I assume half of the members of the Colorado Senate were elected from in 2012)?  I'm not sure how much the lines are different.

I answered my own question with like 95% certainty.  I'm pretty sure the new lines will be used, which I'd say makes sense since already about half the Senators represent the new districts.  See http://www.krdo.com/news/frequently-asked-questions-morse-giron-recall-elections/-/417220/21805222/-/s15jrs/-/index.html and then click on the "Senate District 11" link (the resulting PDF has a caption that reads "Prepared by the Reapportionment Commission Staff [new line] December 2011").  I would assume the same vintage lines would be used in Senate District 3.  The pro-recall of John Morse site gotremorse.com (cute) also states, "Due to recent gerrymandering changes to the Senate districts, some people are no longer certain what district they may currently reside in."  There's no specific mention of the lines being different from either the last State Senate election in that district or the next one, but the implication is that the lines used in the recall will be different from those used in 2010 (so likely the same as those used in 2014).
Kevinstat

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 11:09:30 PM »

Overall, this has been a good night for Colorado Democrats since it will teach them not to swing too far to the left.

Yes, indeed. Same goes for North Carolina republicans who are already looking bad.
NC Republicans though, have a guaranteed majority in the GA, an advantage that the Colorado Dems lack. (Although the chances of the Colorado state legislature going R in 2014 is fairly slim due to other reasons).
Democrats held the NC Legislature as recently as 2010.  Was the 2011 redistricting that fullproof?
Kevinstat

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 05:26:31 PM »
« Edited: October 13, 2013, 05:31:50 PM by Kevinstat »

Well it could affect the 2014 legislative session because the Colorado state senate is now 18D-17R after those previous recalls. So flipping another seat to Republicans would give them control of the chamber. I wonder how many seats each party will have after the Nov. 2014 general election.

That's true, but there was already a recall against Hudak that was unsuccessful, so this is the second attempt.
Collecting the necessary signatures to recall 1 State Senator ought to be easier than collecting the necessary signatures to recall 3 State Senators and a State Representative, particularly now that the recall supporters have momentum from their recent victories.  If Hudak had actually faced a vote since her 2012 victory and her 2013 gun-related votes (and since her controversial comments, which I don't think were that bad but I can see how opponents could make a punch line out of them) and had survived the recall election, then it would be different.
Kevinstat

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 05:26:57 PM »
« Edited: October 13, 2013, 11:11:05 PM by Kevinstat »

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_Senate#Members_of_the_Colorado_Senate

The two successful Republican candidates from 2012 are both up for reelection next year.  Morse and Giron were last reelected in 2010 from what were probably different lines than those used in 2012 (when they weren't up for reelection) and 2014.  Were the recalls held under the 2010 lines or the 2012/2014 lines?  Or were those lines the same for either district?

Hudak, as has been mentioned, was last reelected in 2012 and will (or his successful recall challenger, if it comes to that) be up for a regularly scheduled reelection in 2016.  The lines presumably have and will remain the same from 2012 through 2020.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies