RI-Gov: Chafee will not run for reelection
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:22:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  RI-Gov: Chafee will not run for reelection
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: RI-Gov: Chafee will not run for reelection  (Read 6166 times)
NerdyBohemian
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2013, 03:02:03 PM »

Considering the composition of the Legislature, how strong is the Governor of RI really?

Rhode Island is a one party state. Many people who would run as Republicans in other states run as Democrats here. Due to that, our last governor was able to get many conservative tax policies passed. It's kind of a good situation for Republicans. They can get their agenda passed and when it fails they can blame it on the Democrats.

Hell, just last year the legislature passed a voter ID law, and that's unheard of in other states controlled by Democrats. In addition, all of the opposition to marriage equality earlier this year came from Democrats.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2013, 06:21:58 PM »

Huh

That's inscrutable even for you, Al.

Chaffee worked as a blacksmith for nearly a decade.

Huh. Learn something new everyday.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2013, 04:58:59 PM »

Considering the composition of the Legislature, how strong is the Governor of RI really?

Rhode Island is a one party state. Many people who would run as Republicans in other states run as Democrats here. Due to that, our last governor was able to get many conservative tax policies passed. It's kind of a good situation for Republicans. They can get their agenda passed and when it fails they can blame it on the Democrats.

Hell, just last year the legislature passed a voter ID law, and that's unheard of in other states controlled by Democrats. In addition, all of the opposition to marriage equality earlier this year came from Democrats.

But why is all that so tenable though? Is it because Rhode Island requires a 2/3 supermajority vote in the legislature to pass the state budget? You'd figure a lot of these DINOs would get primaried.

I've always assumed Rhode Island was to the left of a state like Connecticut yet on the state level...
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2013, 02:17:42 AM »

Gov. Lincoln Chafee announced Tuesday outside the state Department of Motor Vehicles

Is it just me, or is that a really weird location for a press conference?

I thought that too.  It's too bad he's not running again.  I always liked him; he was a bit moderate for me, but still a decent guy, and we need more moderate/liberal Republicans.
My feelings exactly.  He became an Independent a few years ago, though, and recently he actually formally became a Democrat.

Despite Rhode Island being very faithful to the Democratic Party in federal elections, Rhode Island is far from a liberal state. Chafee tried to run the state as a liberal and was crucified for it.
They had 16 straight years of GOP governors from 1994-2010, after all.

The only Democratic California governor from the last 70 years not named Edmund Brown got recalled.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2013, 04:18:30 AM »

But why is all that so tenable though? Is it because Rhode Island requires a 2/3 supermajority vote in the legislature to pass the state budget? You'd figure a lot of these DINOs would get primaried.

I've always assumed Rhode Island was to the left of a state like Connecticut yet on the state level...

They were (not all, but many) in 2012. Most - survived. So, probably, voters support them.
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2013, 10:37:07 AM »

I think Rhode Islanders are slowly becoming aware that there are many Democrats in the general assembly who are not aligned with the national party. For example, last year in Woonsocket, a Democratic rep who was pretty much a Tea Party Republican got primaried and lost once voters were made aware of his views. I have a feeling in 2014 some of the Democrats in the Senate who voted against marriage equality will have strong primary challenges after some of the poppycock that emerged from their mouths during the hearings.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2013, 07:15:27 PM »

It appears the Democrats will finally win back the governorship for the first time since 1992.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2013, 03:09:13 AM »

It appears the Democrats will finally win back the governorship for the first time since 1992.

Well, may be. But Fung is a serious candidate, and if he convinces popular Avedisian to run with him for Lt. Governor - they will have chances. Up to now AFAIK Fung only lost once (and very narrowly), while Avedisian seems to be undefeated)))
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2013, 03:31:12 PM »

The LG is elected independently separately from the governor and both have been from different political parties.

smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2013, 02:29:17 PM »

The LG is elected independently separately from the governor and both have been from different political parties.

I know that. Nevertheless such ticket, headed by 2 rather popular mayors of "big" (by Rhode Island standards) cities, would likely be rather strong.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2013, 04:53:28 PM »
« Edited: October 28, 2013, 04:57:08 PM by angryGreatness »

Providence Mayor Angel Taveras (D) is officially running.

Cranston Mayor Alan Fung (R) will likely announce his candidacy on November 4th.

EDIT: There is also a new name for consideration in the Democratic primary: Clay Pell,  former Deputy Assistant Secretary for International and Foreign Language Education and grandson of the legendary Claiborne Pell.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2013, 04:56:09 PM »

Good. Taveras seems like the more progressive candidate.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2013, 05:26:49 PM »

Chafee had pretty poor approval ratings because he was a pretty poor governor. Remember, this is the man that arranged a $75M loan for Curt Schilling so he could make videogames. That's a lot of money for a state with just 1 million residents.

Of course, Schilling defaulted on the loan and laid off all his employees. It was incredibly huge news in the whole New England region, and it effectively ended Chafee's career. Dude is simply unelectable now.

I think the simple fact of the matter is that Chafee never really had the smarts to be in government. He was just kinda put there by the death of his father during a time the state had a GOP governor.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2013, 05:33:51 PM »

Fun Fact about Clay Pell: He's married to THE Michelle Kwan
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies