Tmthforu94/TDAS04: For a Stronger Mideast
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:15:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Tmthforu94/TDAS04: For a Stronger Mideast
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Tmthforu94/TDAS04: For a Stronger Mideast  (Read 9916 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2013, 12:18:13 PM »

1. I really don't have a specific legislative agenda - the only two bills I introduced this session were focused on cracking down on sex offenders as well as establishing National American Heritage Day. But we have so much currently in our queue, I'm not really focused on writing legislation as much as I am sifting through what already has been introduced.

2. Were I ZuWo, I probably would have just signed the bill and put it to a public referendum. Though as the Governor has said, there are other ways The People can vote on this law. At least we now realize what's wrong with the current Mideast Constitution and it can be amended accordingly.

3. Now, I think my answer has gradually shifted from this. As both Governor and Mideast Senator, I always acted in the interests of The People in my region, and think I almost always voted as my region as a whole did. As an At-Large Senator, I'm representing everyone! With the mindset of "do as The People wish", every At-Large Senator should be unison on every vote. We are obviously not. I think it's important to recognize the will of The People when a vast majority feel a certain way, but overall, I think I side more with the belief of voting for what I believe is in the best interests of The People. Now, to address your second question, the best example would probably be the 2014 Federal Budget, in which I was the only Senator to vote against. While I respect other conservatives who voted for it, I personally did not feel that a 60% highest tax-rate over a 70% tax-rate was an acceptable compromise, and I think a spending decrease was necessary, an example being in education, where each region already spends way more than in reality. My hands were tied here though due to the current composition of the Senate.

4. Well, Atlasia's current policy does not recognize same-sex marriage (nor heterosexual), so yes. Wink Marriage should be left as a religious entity, but I certainly support civil unions and equality for all.

5. Dogs - I have a beautiful Black Labrador and miss him dearly while I'm at college. After that, I would probably say sharks, just because I associated alligators with the U of Florida, and I can't stand them. Tongue
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2013, 08:31:06 PM »

Town Hall Meeting: Memphis, Tennessee

Good evening, it is great to be with you today.

The primary purpose of this town hall meeting is to outline my positions on various issues facing Atlasia, and I look forward to answering all of your questions.

Before we begin, I would like to take a moment to congratulate Duke and Matt, who are currently on their way to being elected President and Vice President of Atlasia! I would also like to offer an early congratulations to the five Senators that will be elected to the Senate, though we still may not be 100% sure who they are. I would especially like to congratulate my regional Senator, TNF. While we disagree on most issues, I admire his tenacity and activity levels - we need this type of activity in the Senate. Smiley

At this time, I would like to open the floor to questions. I encourage you all to ask away! Smiley
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2013, 08:35:28 PM »

Are you happy and/or surprised by the surprisingly well showing by the Duke campaign?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2013, 08:38:14 PM »

What do you think about my amendment to the rules?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2013, 08:47:02 PM »

Are you happy and/or surprised by the surprisingly well showing by the Duke campaign?
I've known Duke pretty well since joining the game in 2009, and I know that he has a lot of friendships among older members in the game. I expected most of them to back his campaign, and I was correct. While I was not expecting the margin of victory to be quite as large, I was fully expecting a large victory for him. None of the Senate races surprised me either, though I am pleased with how well the Federalists candidates did. Smiley

I think I have been pretty vocal about my general opinion of inactive Senators. Wink That being said, I don't necessarily agree with creating stricter requirements for Senators who have at least made the effort to introduce multiple bills. I would support your amendment with an amendment that changed "expulsion" to just stripping them of their sponsorship of all legislation.

That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to allowing an expulsion vote for Senators who haven't posted in five days. That's unacceptable, IMO.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2013, 08:51:21 PM »

I think I have been pretty vocal about my general opinion of inactive Senators. Wink That being said, I don't necessarily agree with creating stricter requirements for Senators who have at least made the effort to introduce multiple bills. I would support your amendment with an amendment that changed "expulsion" to just stripping them of their sponsorship of all legislation.

That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to allowing an expulsion vote for Senators who haven't posted in five days. That's unacceptable, IMO.

I think this is an area where we'll just disagree, but it's not that I want to punish someone who wants to put effort in. It's that I want to push Senators, if they are going to sponsor tons of legislation, then they should show up for that legislation. That's all.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2013, 08:55:12 PM »

I think this is an area where we'll just disagree, but it's not that I want to punish someone who wants to put effort in. It's that I want to push Senators, if they are going to sponsor tons of legislation, then they should show up for that legislation. That's all.
Fair point. I do think a reasonable agreement though would be to move it to five days for everyone and create an additional clause that perhaps strips a Senator of sponsorships after a certain amount of inactivity. It's pretty tough to expel a Senator. Wink I think your goal of this amendment would be much better accomplished with such an amendment.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2013, 06:34:43 PM »

Endorsed for at least 5th preference, I can't go higher this early.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2013, 09:08:38 PM »

Endorsed for at least 5th preference, I can't go higher this early.

Thanks! Cheesy *hughughug*

I'm excited to announce that our campaign banner will be released in the coming days!
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2013, 09:35:52 PM »

You'll get between 2nd and 5th preference!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2013, 01:40:31 PM »

You'll get between 2nd and 5th preference!
Smiley

The Senate is currently debating a resolution to amend activity requirements for Senators. Currently, a Senator may be expelled if they do not post for seven days without a public LOA - I support lowering that to five. Additionally, I have introduced an amendment to the resolution that should a Senator who has sponsored five or more bills and hasn't posted in five days without a public LOA, they will be stripped of their sponsorship. As we have seen before, having inactive sponsors slows down the Senate, and this amendment will be a step in solving that problem.

I was also proud to vote for the Support for the LGBTI Athletes Bill and Comprehensive Sex Education Bill of 2013 this past week. The next piece of legislation in line to be debated is the Education for the Future Bill of 2013. In it's current form, I would vote Nay on this piece of legislation. We are already spending a large sum of money on education at both the federal and regional level, and while I would support giving more specific directions to the funding already put in place, I cannot support adding even more money to the education budget at this time, especially since we are about to enter into a deficit.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2013, 07:14:36 PM »

!!!HaPpY hAlLoWeEn!!!

Stay safe tonight, everyone! Smiley

As always, questions/comments are welcome. I have been encouraged by the positive feedback I have received, both publicly and privately, as well as recent polling that showed my approval nearing 70%! Cheesy I am YOUR Senator - please come to me with any concerns or questions you may have, whether it is an idea for legislation or a question about how the game works, and I would be more than happy to help you with them. Smiley
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2013, 05:05:18 PM »

PPT Vote

I was proud to vote to elect Senator Yankee as PPT for another session. Yankee has been a fantastic PPT, having extensive knowledge of Senate procedure and having a terrific record on activity and moving debate along.

When both sides are trading power in the Senate back and forth, a partisan PPT may be something worth discussing. But with the current environment, I see little good coming from it, regardless of whether you are in the majority or the minority. A non-partisan PPT has been good for us for years, and I'm happy that it will continue to. Smiley

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2013, 03:35:37 AM »

Ask me srs questions!
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2013, 04:54:28 PM »

Would you support a bill that gives a death sentence to convicted rapists?

Governor Lumine supports renaming the Midwestern states back to their federally-recognized names, do you support or oppose him on this issue?

Would you be in favor of expanding laws to bring longer sentences to convicted rapists, child molesters, murderers, and serial killers?

Do you believe lower income Atlasians are struggling or thriving?

Would you support a 'No Child Left Behind' policy in Atlasia?

How do you feel after Griffins dramatic exit from Atlasia? Do you feel as if what he said was right?

Predict, will there be a right wing majority or left wing majority in the Senate if the at-large election was held today?

Would you support a federal bill that would rename Columbus day to Bartolome day to honor Bartolome de las Casas, who was considered "The Protector of Indians"?

How do you feel about the Democratic Republicans right now? Do you think they will gain a senate seat or win a presidential election anytime soon?

What is your opinion of the Mexican President, Enrique Peņa Nieto?

Do you believe that the Federalist party will grow, stay about the same, or decline within the next few months?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2013, 05:16:19 PM »

Finally! Smiley I'll return the favor, Flo. Wink

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I have always been an opponent against the death penalty, having been part of the many attempts to repeal it in Atlasia. I was very pleased when we were able to recently abolish it, and I will fight any effort to change the current policy.

Outside of the great people, our tradition in the Midwest is what makes this region great. I think there needs to be better clarification between the federal government and Midwest government on this issue, though I do not believe the Governor's proposal is the best path to achieving that. I am supportive of Senator TNF's bill to require that the government recognize our loony names, and urge that it reaches the Senate floor sooner rather than later. Smiley

What I support is guaranteeing that those committing a serious crime be required to serve their sentences consecutively, while also limiting the amount their sentences can be reduced. I have a bill that is currently on the Senate floor that aims to do just that, and I would say that anyone who feels the same should contact their Senator's and urge them to vote Aye on the bill.

I think just about anyone is on the lower-income of a society is struggling, especially compared to their wealthy counterparts. I think that as a whole, the Senate has been enacting policies that weakens the struggle, though I do have a concern that some of our efforts may be counterproductive, especially when you look at the high tax rates in Atlasia.

No, as I generally oppose the emphasis of standardized testing in our education system.

I think it may have been a bit of a rash decision that he will later regret. I do not appreciate his false statement that I recruited off-site zombies to the game - what's ironic was that "scandal" occurred years before he even registered. I think Griffin often paints himself as the victim and cannot realize his own faults.

While I expect Goldwater and myself to both win, I have a hard time seeing a center-right candidate pick up the third seat needed. We will just have to hope that the fifth candidate elected is one who's willing to sit down and work across the aisle. Though that being said, I think just about any combination would be an improvement over the current group in there.

Yes. I might even introduce something to address this, though I don't want to steal your thunder, future Senator. Wink

Until they become an organized party, I don't think it is likely. Additionally, I do not think it would be good for the Atlasian right if we became fractured once again.

I have confidence that our party will continue to expand on it's majority. Smiley Hopefully this majority translates into a bit more power in the future!
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2013, 05:25:46 PM »

I think it may have been a bit of a rash decision that he will later regret. I do not appreciate his false statement that I recruited off-site zombies to the game - what's ironic was that "scandal" occurred years before he even registered. I think Griffin often paints himself as the victim and cannot realize his own faults.

Could you expand on this?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2013, 05:35:18 PM »

I became fully engaged in the game in June 2009 (I had registered a few months before). Upon joining, I was a young kid who was new and very naive as to what was going on. I recruited a person from another forum to join as well, because I thought she would enjoy it just as much as I did. She quickly registered and cast one vote, which was in the June 2009 election. Shortly after, the privately notified me that she simply didn't have an interest in the forum, and stopped posting all-together.

This is the off-site recruiting that Griffin tried to attack me on, and I hope everyone else can realize that this is just as silly as I do. Griffin seems to have an addiction to attacking any successful conservative, and I think it will be good for everyone with him gone.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2013, 06:36:05 PM »

Its not just conservatives having to endure his attacks..
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2013, 09:28:29 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2013, 09:54:37 PM by ProgressiveCapitalist »

Something else to consider...

This isn't the only fantasy government game on the internet. There are dozens of others, and I participate in a few. I don't think it would be a terrible idea to try and recruit members from those sites onto here. They have experience with fantasy government's so they wouldn't be a zombie, and since they obviously like politics, they'd also be contributing to other parts of the forum. The only obstacle with this is that I don't know how they'd feel about having to wait 2 weeks and gain 50 posts elsewhere before joining.

Update: I have messaged several members on other fantasy games about joining Atlasia. At least two people have registered for the site, though neither have made the eligibility requirements yet.
I guess the point I really want to make is that you can either lead by example or be led by the example of others.

If you had said you strongly believe in off-site recruitment and will work hard to convince people of its merits, I could respect that, even if I disagree. That is leading by example. That is starting a real discussion to move the ball forward. Instead, you're just saying that the status quo environment isn't good for off-site recruitment so you won't do it. If I had your attitude when Marokai and I proposed a new Constitution, it never would have gotten off the ground.

EDIT: Just as an example, you yourself came around to the idea of a Constitutional Convention only after we pressed the issue and made our case to the public. The only reason we got it done was because we engaged people in the discussion, rather than simply accepting the status quo.

How I answer one question in no way determines whether or not I'd lead by example. I believe off-site recruitment can work, and have been making that case to various Atlasians for months. When I become President, I will use that role to also help promote it, and hopefully, if enough support it, it'll occure.

And for the record, I was never against the Constitutional Convention until the very end, when was only being led by a couple people and not a lot was happening. I appreciate the great job y'all did at consolodating the amendments and making an easier to read document, as well as your great wiki edits. As President, I will build off accomplishments of previous administrations and seek to pass real game improvements, as well as actually play the game, which will hopefully stimulate activity in the game. Those details will be outlined within days.

I became fully engaged in the game in June 2009 (I had registered a few months before). Upon joining, I was a young kid who was new and very naive as to what was going on. I recruited a person from another forum to join as well, because I thought she would enjoy it just as much as I did. She quickly registered and cast one vote, which was in the June 2009 election. Shortly after, the privately notified me that she simply didn't have an interest in the forum, and stopped posting all-together.

This is the off-site recruiting that Griffin tried to attack me on, and I hope everyone else can realize that this is just as silly as I do. Griffin seems to have an addiction to attacking any successful conservative, and I think it will be good for everyone with him gone.

Hmmm.....
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2013, 11:57:20 PM »

Someone has a lot of time on their hands. Imagine the possibilities if you actually used that effort to do the job you were elected to do!

Saying something might work doesn't mean you actually go through with it. During a slow period in Atlasia, there was actually a time when quite a few Atlasians were arguing the merits of off-site recruiting. The question was how many people I recruited to join Atlasia, and the answer was and remains to be a single person. You're trying too hard.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2013, 03:27:40 AM »

Ah yes, good times. Wink That was a cool election (would have been better if it had been the reversed result though).
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2013, 04:40:30 AM »

Someone has a lot of time on their hands. Imagine the possibilities if you actually used that effort to do the job you were elected to do!

Saying something might work doesn't mean you actually go through with it. During a slow period in Atlasia, there was actually a time when quite a few Atlasians were arguing the merits of off-site recruiting. The question was how many people I recruited to join Atlasia, and the answer was and remains to be a single person. You're trying too hard.

Lay off the sage
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2013, 07:44:34 AM »

Why do you want to write welfare checks to private schools, Senator? Is public education not good enough for our military families?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2013, 03:15:57 PM »

If only...

I would like to announce my opposition to Senator TNF's war on education in Atlasia, specifically his effort to ban the practice of homeschooling. The public school sentence in Atlasia is still not up to the level it should be, and forcing everyone to attend a public institution will do absolutely nothing to change it, other than creating more of an overcrowding problem. If they have the means to do so, parents should be able to make the choice as to where they send their children, rather than trap them in failing schools. Statistics have repeatedly shown that students who are homeschooled perform better on tests and beyond than those in public schools, and they still have the same opportunities of a social life that children in public schools. Each student learns differently - we should be allowing them to learn in the environment that is best suited to maximize their Dave-given potential. This is just another example of Senator TNF's war on success in Atlasia. I will do whatever it takes to ensure this atrocious piece of legislation is defeated.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies