SC Gov Mark Sanford
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:29:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  SC Gov Mark Sanford
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Author Topic: SC Gov Mark Sanford  (Read 61756 times)
AuH2O
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2005, 07:57:15 PM »

Dear God, NO!

The Governor of South Carolina?

Why don't we just advertise, "White Southerners Only"?

The only candidates I approve of have to meet three of the following crtiria:

1) Must be from north, midwest or pacific west.

2) Must be a woman or minority of some kind (i.e. black, hospanic, Catholic)

3) Must be or have been a governor, mayor, cabinet member or held some leadership possition.

4) Must be right-of-center on most issues

I'll just assume this is a joke.

Since every President has been a white male-- and a very large portion have been from the South-- soulty is either joking or not too bright.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2005, 09:59:14 PM »

Dear God, NO!

The Governor of South Carolina?

Why don't we just advertise, "White Southerners Only"?

The only candidates I approve of have to meet three of the following crtiria:

1) Must be from north, midwest or pacific west.

3) Must be or have been a governor, mayor, cabinet member or held some leadership possition.

4) Must be right-of-center on most issues

I'll just assume this is a joke.

Since every President has been a white male-- and a very large portion have been from the South-- soulty is either joking or not too bright.

No, it isn't a joke, and why should I give a sh**t about what you think.  I know that they have all been white males.  I'm saying that, unless they break that mold and match two of the other criteria, I won't support them in the primary.  Plain and simple.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2005, 10:08:00 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2005, 10:12:21 PM by Senator Supersoulty »

SuperSoulty,

The only problem with you reasoning, is that it is difficult to find someone from categories 1 and 2 that meets the criteria of category 4.  The only one I can think of is Santorum.  Is that where you are trying to steer this?

A list of serious canidates who meet three of the above mentioned criteria:

Condi Rice
Kay Baily Huchinson (I give her an exemption from #3)
Mitt Romney
Rick Santorum
John McCain
Rudy Giuliani (ambiguous about #4, but....)
Tim Pawlenty
Tom Ridge
John Sununu (also exempt from #3)
Elizabeth Dole
Norm Coleman

That is not including those candidates who might arise, but are "unforseen" at the moment.

p.s. a late addition

Olympia Snowe
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2005, 10:12:47 PM »

Of those you have mentioned, only Romney and Santorum have realisitic chances, and by realistic, I don't necessarily mean good chances.

You're painting yourself into a corner 3 1/2 years before the election by being so narrow-minded.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2005, 10:21:42 PM »

Of those you have mentioned, only Romney and Santorum have realisitic chances, and by realistic, I don't necessarily mean good chances.

You're painting yourself into a corner 3 1/2 years before the election by being so narrow-minded.

The Republican Party is going to paint itself into a corner by not leaving the south and looking at decent candidates who aren't white-breed, good-ole' boys, from Dixie or no-where-Kansas, if we stick with guys like Sanford and the like.  How much power does the governor of SC have anyway?

And no Senators, without good cause, and by good cause, I mean they have to be people who stand out, like Santorum, McCain, Huchinson, Dole, etc.  If Frist gets the nomination, I'll take a good look at who the other side is running.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2005, 10:23:34 PM »

Anyone who thinks that a guy like Sanford will have national appeal is not being realistic.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2005, 10:26:57 PM »

I cannot say that Sanford is a strong candidate at this point.  If he’s in the race, the South Carolina primary becomes meaningless except possibly as a contest for second place and every pundit will make certain that the voters know that.  He’ll need to do well in Iowa and/or New Hampshire in order to win the nomination.  He might be able to win New Hampshire, but I just don't think he has enough of a record to run on to win Iowa.  If he can manage to get some form of private school tax credit thru the legislature he’d have an accomplishment to run on, but I just cannot see school choice as being an issue that will galvanize GOP voters, and that tax credit does not look likely of passage at this point.  Sanford is a shoo-in for re-election in ’06.  The school choice issue would have to blow up far worse than I expect for the only Democrat who would have the possibility of beating Sanford to both run and win, as I expect that Inez is probably going to wait till ’10 to make a run at the Governor’s office.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2005, 10:29:28 PM »

Catholics are not a minority.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2005, 10:36:39 PM »

How much power does the governor of SC have anyway?

Compared to most other governors, very little.  Besides a slew of other elected executives who are independent of him, there is the Budget and Control Board which makes the decisions on how to fine tune spending if less money is coming in or more is going out than was budgeted, and he has zero role in judicial appointments as that power is reserved to the Legislature alone.  And keep in mind that for the past two decades, a major issue has been governmental restructuring so as to place more power in the hands of the governor, so he actually has more power than either Thurmond or Hollings had when they were Governor.  The major power a SC Governor has is his bully pulpit, and Sanford gets a mized grade on his use of it.  He’s very good at connecting with the voters, but not so good at taking that connection and turning it into influence with the legislature.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2005, 10:42:28 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2005, 10:50:34 PM by Senator Supersoulty »

Ummmm... yes, we are.

Have we suddenly become the majority religion over night?
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2005, 10:51:36 PM »

Yes, we Catholics are a minority, but at 24%, we rank just under white males, who come in at 35%.  Hmmm... That means that Southern white males probably come in at 10-15% of the population.   That sounds suspiciously like a minority to me, doesn't it to you Soulty.

By the way, if Frist get the nomination, I, too, will take a long hard look at the Democrat candidate.   
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2005, 10:54:39 PM »

Yes, we Catholics are a minority, but at 24%, we rank just under white males, who come in at 35%.  Hmmm... That means that Southern white males probably come in at 10-15% of the population.   That sounds suspiciously like a minority to me, doesn't it to you Soulty.

You know what I mean.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm glad that we agree on this point.  So, other than Allen, Frist or Sanford, who do you propose.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2005, 10:57:01 PM »

Ummmm... yes, we are.

Catholicism is not a religion. It is a branch of the majority religion though. It is also the largest branch, and thus a plurality and thus not a minority.

Am I a minority? There's a hell of a lot more Catholics in the US than ELCA Lutherans.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2005, 10:59:06 PM »

If you're a Red, and also a member of the ELCA, then you are a minority of a minority.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2005, 11:00:34 PM »

Ummmm... yes, we are.

Catholicism is not a religion. It is a branch of the majority religion though. It is also the largest branch, and thus a plurality and thus not a minority.

Am I a minority? There's a hell of a lot more Catholics in the US than ELCA Lutherans.

1) By your logic, then Blacks are not a minority or a race because they are just a branch of a larger human kind.

2) Protestants make up one group, Catholics the other.  There are far more Protestants in the country then there are Catholics.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2005, 11:01:25 PM »

We are all minorities, whcih is why we all have an interest in protecting minority rights. If you don't care about rights that are being taken away or denied today, just wait a while, somebody'll come after yours before too long.

I know squat about Sanford. Have no clue what he looks like, and I pay attention. Not to say anything about him, necessarily, but the GOP is very patriarchical, they almost always give it to the guy whose turn it seems to be or who seems the most fatherly figure so to speak. This works for them a good amount of the time. Didn't work for Dole or Ford, and I'd argue Goldwater is about the only Repub since WWII who didn't fit this tradition. It worked for Nixon in 68, Reagan, Bush 41, and for Bush 43 because of family roots, and he sat 1996 out and waited for his turn.

That said, who seems most likely to be the inheritor of the GOP nomination? I'd argue McCain to a degree, except he's not GOP enough. Following that, I'd say Frist or Jeb. Frist because he has been pretty darn loyal to the Pres. Not that I like him at all.

Who do you all think is the one "whose turn it is"?
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2005, 11:02:08 PM »

I like Romney, as well as Santorum.  I also like J.C Watts, though he probably needs to run for Gov of OK before he is ready to run for Pres.  I'm also a huge fan of Jeb, but '08 is going to be too soon for another Bush in the White House.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2005, 11:04:46 PM »

Ummmm... yes, we are.

1) By your logic, then Blacks are not a minority or a race because they are just a branch of a larger human kind.

2) Protestants make up one group, Catholics the other.  There are far more Protestants in the country then there are Catholics.

1) You said largest religion, not largest religious group. If I said blacks were a minority species that'd be a valid analogy.

2) I think a group that includes me and Jerry Falwell is a little too broad, huh?

Besides, religion is not an inherant trait, one can change it. One can argue that every president is a minority then since a plurality of the population is independent and not a member of either of the two main parties. Thus all Democrats and Republicans are minorities.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2005, 11:10:21 PM »

Ummmm... yes, we are.

2) Protestants make up one group, Catholics the other.  There are far more Protestants in the country then there are Catholics.

1) You said largest religion, not largest religious group. If I said blacks were a minority species that'd be a valid analogy.

2) I think a group that includes me and Jerry Falwell is a little too broad, huh?

Besides, religion is not an inherant trait, one can change it. One can argue that every president is a minority then since a plurality of the population is independent and not a member of either of the two main parties. Thus all Democrats and Republicans are minorities.

Obviously you know absolutly nothing of Catholic or ethinic politics.  I wouldn't expect you too, being from the midwest.  But I come from a highly ethnic area where Protestants are extremely anti-Catholic.  Not in an overt way, but there are clear differences between the groups.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2005, 11:11:25 PM »

SuperSoulty,

The only problem with you reasoning, is that it is difficult to find someone from categories 1 and 2 that meets the criteria of category 4.  The only one I can think of is Santorum.  Is that where you are trying to steer this?

Condi Rice
Mitt Romney
Rick Santorum
John McCain
Tim Pawlenty
Tom Ridge
Elizabeth Dole
Norm Coleman

That is not including those candidates who might arise, but are "unforseen" at the moment.

p.s. a late addition

Olympia Snowe

Most of those are pretty-right wing
Condi Rice - major major liar,
Hutchinson -  nice senate record to attack
Romney - can't win his homestate, lucky if he wins the 2006 governor race
Santorum - bigot, wants to destroy SS
McCain - old, cancer
Giuliani - too conservative for NY, too liberal for a national Republican primary
Pawlenty - does any one know about this guy?
Ridge - busted for politicizing Homeland Security
Sununu - one of many extremists on this list
Dole - her campaign went nowhere in 2000
Coleman - this guy has no principles
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2005, 11:15:22 PM »

If it goes to the guys that have 'paid their dues,' then it's probably McCain's or Rudy's turn. 

Since we didn't have any sort of challenge in '04, I'd say that it is wide open in '08.  I really do'nt think that McCain will even run.  I saw him on TV tonight and he didn't look well.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2005, 11:15:38 PM »

SuperSoulty,

Condi Rice
Mitt Romney
Rick Santorum
John McCain
Tim Pawlenty
Tom Ridge
Elizabeth Dole
Norm Coleman

p.s. a late addition

Olympia Snowe

Most of those are pretty-right wing
Condi Rice - major major liar,
Hutchinson -  nice senate record to attack
Romney - can't win his homestate, lucky if he wins the 2006 governor race
Santorum - bigot, wants to destroy SS
McCain - old, cancer
Giuliani - too conservative for NY, too liberal for a national Republican primary
Pawlenty - does any one know about this guy?
Ridge - busted for politicizing Homeland Security
Sununu - one of many extremists on this list
Dole - her campaign went nowhere in 2000

Your "analysis" (assuming you are capable of such a thing) is laughable, and really doesn't warrent comment.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2005, 11:16:21 PM »

Your "analysis" (assuming you are capable of such a thing) is laughable, and really doesn't warrent comment.

Yawn
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2005, 11:16:43 PM »

Agreed.  That whole Senate race in 2002 was really ugly in Minnesota, and this was BEFORE Wellstone died.  Afterwards Coleman and conservatives all over the place were attacking Mondale because he wanted to privatize social security, even though Mondale did not, in fact, want to do this.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2005, 11:17:38 PM »

People seem to be forgeting about the CNN poll that showed that Giuliani beats all the other choices for '08, by far, among Republicans (38% I think).  McCain comes in second (10% behind Rudy) and First comes in at 15%.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies