SC Gov Mark Sanford
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:11:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  SC Gov Mark Sanford
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Author Topic: SC Gov Mark Sanford  (Read 61753 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2005, 11:18:38 PM »
« edited: March 02, 2005, 11:20:40 PM by nickshepDEM »

If it goes to the guys that have 'paid their dues,' then it's probably McCain's or Rudy's turn. 

Since we didn't have any sort of challenge in '04, I'd say that it is wide open in '08.  I really do'nt think that McCain will even run.  I saw him on TV tonight and he didn't look well.

I keep thinking Frist is a lock for some reason.  I dont have a detailed analysis why, but I really think hes gonna' win the primary.

edit: not really a lock, but you know what I mean, the favorite.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2005, 11:19:39 PM »

People seem to be forgeting about the CNN poll that showed that Giuliani beats all the other choices for '08, by far, among Republicans (38% I think).  McCain comes in second (10% behind Rudy) and First comes in at 15%.

Pure name recognition.  My sisters like 8 and she knows who Rudy Giuliani is.  My dog knows who Rudy Giuliani is.
○∙◄☻„tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2005, 11:20:00 PM »

I keep thinking Frist is a lock for some reason.  I dont have a detailed analysis why, but I really think hes gonna' win the primary.

He's definitely right-wing and corrupt enough.
There may be a reason he's not pushing hard for SS, and he's reitiring in 2006.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2005, 11:26:16 PM »

2) Must be a woman or minority of some kind (i.e. black, hospanic, Catholic)

Catholics are not a minority.

Ummmm... yes, we are.

Have we suddenly become the majority religion over night?

Catholicism is not a religion. It is a branch of the majority religion though. It is also the largest branch, and thus a plurality and thus not a minority.

Am I a minority? There's a hell of a lot more Catholics in the US than ELCA Lutherans.

1) By your logic, then Blacks are not a minority or a race because they are just a branch of a larger human kind.

2) Protestants make up one group, Catholics the other.  There are far more Protestants in the country then there are Catholics.

1) You said largest religion, not largest religious group. If I said blacks were a minority species that'd be a valid analogy.

2) I think a group that includes me and Jerry Falwell is a little too broad, huh?

Besides, religion is not an inherant trait, one can change it. One can argue that every president is a minority then since a plurality of the population is independent and not a member of either of the two main parties. Thus all Democrats and Republicans are minorities.

Obviously you know absolutly nothing of Catholic or ethinic politics.  I wouldn't expect you too, being from the midwest.  But I come from a highly ethnic area where Protestants are extremely anti-Catholic.  Not in an overt way, but there are clear differences between the groups.

um, Minnesota is plurality Catholic. You really think they don't exist up here? And I have NEVER seen any Catholic/Protestant religious turmoil.

You can give all the sob stories you want, but comparing John Kerry's strength in areas to the Catholic populations so virtually no correlations. Hell, you probably think I'm an "anti-Catholic bigot" (even though no such thing can exist) and I voted for one in November. Oppressed minority? Plus you think the few cases of discrimination that might occur don't happen to Protestants in largely Catholic areas?

The point also still stands that religion is not inherant and can be changed. Going by your logic, I could argue all Republicans and Democrats are minorities.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2005, 11:27:24 PM »

If it goes to the guys that have 'paid their dues,' then it's probably McCain's or Rudy's turn. 

Since we didn't have any sort of challenge in '04, I'd say that it is wide open in '08.  I really do'nt think that McCain will even run.  I saw him on TV tonight and he didn't look well.

good!
○∙◄☻„tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2005, 11:30:38 PM »

good!

Only good if he loses the general election. Very bad if he wins.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2005, 11:33:16 PM »

I know squat about Sanford. Have no clue what he looks like, and I pay attention.

He's the guy in my signature.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2005, 11:34:57 PM »

He's also pretty overrated, people are just judging him based on pure potential. Does he have a great record as governor? According to our two South Carolinan posters, both independents, it's hardly stellar.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2005, 11:35:47 PM »

Your "analysis" (assuming you are capable of such a thing) is laughable, and really doesn't warrent comment.

Yawn

Fine, I'll lower myself to your level and answer you.

John McCain:  Though the cancer is a draw back, it is quite treatable and shows no signs of taking his life anytime soon.

Condi Rice: Obviously your analysis is highly subjective and is not shared by a large number of people.

Mitt Romney: From everything I have seen, he looks pretty secure for '06.  Also, thanks to something called "TV", media crosses state lines, and so People in media markets that serve or come out of Massechusetts are also familiar with Romney.  Even if he can't take Massechusetts, he can pull in NH and Maine and perhaps CT.  He would probably play well in states like PA and Michigan too.

Tom Ridge: Once again, your opinion is not shared by most people.  You have to learn how to think like normal people, even if you don't think the same things they do.  Only the Left 30% of the country thinks that he politicized homeland security, and they aren't going to win anyone an election.

Tim Pawlenty: Did anyone know who Bill Clinton was, or for that matter, Dukakis or Carter or Kennedy or Truman or Woodrow Wilson, before the start of their respective campaign seasons?

Elizabeth Dole:  She had no fund raising base or base of support  in 2000.  Now she does.

Rudy Giuliani:  Refere to the poll I mentioned.

John Sununu:  I don't even know where you got this idea.  He was chosen by Santorum to run against Smith precisly because he was a moderate and Smith was the "extremeist".

Rick Santorum:  Comments over-blown and taken out of context and the average person won't remember them by '08 anyway.  Any effort to remind the public will be wasted money by the Democrats.

Norm Coleman:  Why? Because he left the Democrats?  They didn't support him anyway.  He clearly has more principles than the Democrats who are trying to rip the sh**t out of his UN Oil for Food corruption investigation.

Kay Baily Huchinson:  This is another "says you".
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2005, 11:36:30 PM »

He's also pretty overrated, people are just judging him based on pure potential. Does he have a great record as governor? According to our two South Carolinan posters, both independents, it's hardly stellar.

If he runs, I guarantee you that he'll win the nomination and probably the general too.
○∙◄☻„tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2005, 11:37:17 PM »

Your "analysis" (assuming you are capable of such a thing) is laughable, and really doesn't warrent comment.

Yawn

Fine, I'll lower myself to your level and answer you.

John McCain:  Though the cancer is a draw back, it is quite treatable and shows no signs of taking his life anytime soon.

Condi Rice: Obviously your analysis is highly subjective and is not shared by a large number of people.

Mitt Romney: From everything I have seen, he looks pretty secure for '06.  Also, thanks to something called "TV", media crosses state lines, and so People in media markets that serve or come out of Massechusetts are also familiar with Romney.  Even if he can't take Massechusetts, he can pull in NH and Maine and perhaps CT.  He would probably play well in states like PA and Michigan too.

Tom Ridge: Once again, your opinion is not shared by most people.  You have to learn how to think like normal people, even if you don't think the same things they do.  Only the Left 30% of the country thinks that he politicized homeland security, and they aren't going to win anyone an election.

Tim Pawlenty: Did anyone know who Bill Clinton was, or for that matter, Dukakis or Carter or Kennedy or Truman or Woodrow Wilson, before the start of their respective campaign seasons?

Elizabeth Dole:  She had no fund raising base or base of support  in 2000.  Now she does.

Rudy Giuliani:  Refere to the poll I mentioned.

John Sununu:  I don't even know where you got this idea.  He was chosen by Santorum to run against Smith precisly because he was a moderate and Smith was the "extremeist".

Rick Santorum:  Comments over-blown and taken out of context and the average person won't remember them by '08 anyway.  Any effort to remind the public will be wasted money by the Democrats.

Norm Coleman:  Why? Because he left the Democrats?  They didn't support him anyway.  He clearly has more principles than the Democrats who are trying to rip the sh**t out of his UN Oil for Food corruption investigation.

Kay Baily Huchinson:  This is another "says you".

Condi isn't a liar? I stopped reading right there.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2005, 11:43:20 PM »

Jfern,

We're all partisan her, but you're a total hack.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2005, 11:46:44 PM »

The last time an unknown and undistinguished Governor from a small Southern state ran for President, he was elected as the 42nd President of the United States.  Don't underestimate Governors from small Southern states.  You do so at your peril.  Trust me, I know.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2005, 11:57:59 PM »

But Clinton was a Democrat. We aren't as patriarchical as the GOP. Unknowns rarely win the GOP nod. But the GOP base pays attention enough that McCain and Giuliani are toast, no amount of name recognition is going to hide the fact that Giuliani is NOT in concert with red state values. He's a northeatern liberal on social issues. He's a flagrant adulterer.

I see Frist as conservative enough and as known enough to pull it off. Don't get me wrong, I dislike the guy. Did you all know that Frist got into politics around the same time his family's company (HCA) was being investigated (and eventually fined big time) for fraudulently making Medicare/aid (not sure if one or both) claims?? He hadn't even registered to vote until he was in his 40s.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2005, 11:58:20 PM »

-

The last time a unknown Southern DEMOCRAT governor ran for president, he was elected...

Now what if an undistinguished Northern REPUBLICAN governor ran...

Pawlenty and Romney, I'm looking at you.....
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2005, 12:00:23 AM »

-

The last time a unknown Southern DEMOCRAT governor ran for president, he was elected...

Now what if an undistinguished Northern REPUBLICAN governor ran...

Pawlenty and Romney, I'm looking at you.....

Romney's a Mormon, and Pawlenty is a weird bastard.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2005, 12:03:50 AM »

Sanford looks like that actor from JAWS. What was his name??
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2005, 12:04:23 AM »

LOL, your set on Sanford arent you Bob?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2005, 12:05:05 AM »
« Edited: March 03, 2005, 12:09:01 AM by nickshepDEM »

Sanford looks like that actor from JAWS. What was his name??

And he looks like he fell asleep in a tanning bed....Just kidding, but he is really dark.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2005, 12:05:16 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2005, 01:28:38 AM by Bob »

LOL, your set on Sanford arent you Bob?

Hell yes Cheesy. He's the only Republican I would vote for.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2005, 12:05:32 AM »

I know of the controversy that surrounded HCA, but I've never heard of any direct connection to Frist concerning wrongdoing in the company.  Wasn't Gov Bredesen also involved in HCA?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2005, 12:07:14 AM »
« Edited: March 03, 2005, 12:15:49 AM by Senator Supersoulty »

2) Must be a woman or minority of some kind (i.e. black, hospanic, Catholic)

Catholics are not a minority.

Ummmm... yes, we are.

Have we suddenly become the majority religion over night?

Catholicism is not a religion. It is a branch of the majority religion though. It is also the largest branch, and thus a plurality and thus not a minority.

Am I a minority? There's a hell of a lot more Catholics in the US than ELCA Lutherans.

1) By your logic, then Blacks are not a minority or a race because they are just a branch of a larger human kind.

2) Protestants make up one group, Catholics the other.  There are far more Protestants in the country then there are Catholics.

1) You said largest religion, not largest religious group. If I said blacks were a minority species that'd be a valid analogy.

2) I think a group that includes me and Jerry Falwell is a little too broad, huh?

Besides, religion is not an inherant trait, one can change it. One can argue that every president is a minority then since a plurality of the population is independent and not a member of either of the two main parties. Thus all Democrats and Republicans are minorities.

Obviously you know absolutly nothing of Catholic or ethinic politics.  I wouldn't expect you too, being from the midwest.  But I come from a highly ethnic area where Protestants are extremely anti-Catholic.  Not in an overt way, but there are clear differences between the groups.

um, Minnesota is plurality Catholic. You really think they don't exist up here? And I have NEVER seen any Catholic/Protestant religious turmoil.

You can give all the sob stories you want, but comparing John Kerry's strength in areas to the Catholic populations so virtually no correlations. Hell, you probably think I'm an "anti-Catholic bigot" (even though no such thing can exist) and I voted for one in November. Oppressed minority? Plus you think the few cases of discrimination that might occur don't happen to Protestants in largely Catholic areas?

The point also still stands that religion is not inherant and can be changed. Going by your logic, I could argue all Republicans and Democrats are minorities.

Ummm... according to my research Minnesota is less than a quarter Catholic.  I don't know this for sure, but something tells me that, seeing as this is the midwest, most of those Catholics are German Catholics, and thus, no tmuch different from their neighbors.

Quite a different story when you have an area liek mine where a vast majority of Catholics are Italian, Irish or Polish and they are out numbered by English, German and Scottish Protestants.

Kerry didn't poll high in high Catholic areas because ethnic Catholics didn't identify with him.  Plain and simple.

Why can't an anti-Catholic bigot exist?

And, no, I have never seen much Catholic on Protestant bigotry, cause we don't really care much.  Catholics recongnize the fact that we are all Christians.  Most Protestants don't even consider Catholics to be Christians, rather, we are some wierd cult that worships the Pope and Mary.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2005, 12:10:31 AM »

No, I don't know of a direct link between Frist and his brother's wrongdoings. Just seemed funny that one day he didn't care about politics wnough to register to vote and then he's running for senate around the same time his brother's in hot water with the feds.

I knew Bredesen was in the health care industry, never heard he was with HCA. Bredesen had his own company.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2005, 12:13:40 AM »

Oops!  My bad.  I guess I'm just linking the two due to their business similarities. 

Not bashing Bredesen in any way.  In fact, I kinda like him!
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2005, 12:14:50 AM »

Do you Tennesee guy's think Bredesen has thought about dropping out of the gubernatorial race and going after the open senate seat?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies