Senate Bill: Fix the Regions Amendment (Rejected)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:41:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Bill: Fix the Regions Amendment (Rejected)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Author Topic: Senate Bill: Fix the Regions Amendment (Rejected)  (Read 11905 times)
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2013, 08:18:14 PM »

Greetings Senators -

I represent the Council of Nyman --which consist of Governors LumineVonReuental, Tyrion, Dereich and myself. Unfortunately Governor ZuWo was not online at the time of our first meeting, but we encourage him to join in future meetings.

Tonight, the four of us met and discussed the proposed Fix the Regions Amendment. We all agreed that a prerequisite to this amendment is a forced re-registration of all users in Atlasia. This would eliminate "zombie" users as well as guarantee the "free move" that you all have mentioned.

In addition, we support the proposal that gives the current Governors of the regions of Atlasia the ability to draw the lines of the potential new regions.

Let me be clear --we are not ready to offer any other feedback on this amendment at this time. We await the Senate's response on the "forced re-registration" question and we expect be a key voice in future negotiations.

Thank you,

The Council of Nyman
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2013, 08:27:08 PM »

First, let me say that I'm happy to see our regions working together.

Personally, with all the shifting and rearranging that would happen, I think a re-registration may be appropriate, just to help ensure all registered voters are clear on which region they are apart of. This change would have my support.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2013, 10:47:45 PM »

I would support re-registration.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2013, 01:01:04 AM »

It was just about this easy to get gubernatorial support for re-registration, as well. It's quite a good reform.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2013, 06:59:11 PM »

Under no circumstances will I support a forced anything regarding membership or participation in this game.

If you deregister everyone, that goes beyond fixing the regions or even regional restart.

You could accomplish the same objective by creating a process that allowed people to pick new locations free of any restrictions.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2013, 08:27:08 PM »

You could accomplish the same objective by creating a process that allowed people to pick new locations free of any restrictions.

No, that wouldn't do anything about the zombie problem.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2013, 08:50:56 PM »

Tyrion is right. On top of that, its misleading to use the Atlasia population totals for anything because so much of it is inactive.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2013, 08:15:56 PM »

As long as you have recruitment and GOTV necessary for an elections simulation that on page one was so wonderful and an activity standard longer than one election (that short would be crazy), you will have some level of zombies. Forcibly deregistering everyone for a one off house cleaning that will be rendered pointless in just a few weeks, is rather ridiculous.  Roll Eyes

The price of such is just too damn high for such a short period free of zombies, and especially whne there is little case to be made that removing the zombies would be some kind of substantial positive towards the game, especially if limited to such a short period. They are undesirable but removing every officeholder in what already was shaping up to be a difficult transition needing to be made as seemless as possible, and risking the loss of several seasoned and respected palyers who "take the out" when offered, is lot to be asking compensation for from such a short period of the elimination of what is at worst a nusiance.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2013, 10:31:26 AM »

What zombie problem?
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2013, 03:38:02 PM »

As long as you have recruitment and GOTV necessary for an elections simulation that on page one was so wonderful and an activity standard longer than one election (that short would be crazy), you will have some level of zombies. Forcibly deregistering everyone for a one off house cleaning that will be rendered pointless in just a few weeks, is rather ridiculous.  Roll Eyes

The price of such is just too damn high for such a short period free of zombies, and especially whne there is little case to be made that removing the zombies would be some kind of substantial positive towards the game, especially if limited to such a short period. They are undesirable but removing every officeholder in what already was shaping up to be a difficult transition needing to be made as seemless as possible, and risking the loss of several seasoned and respected palyers who "take the out" when offered, is lot to be asking compensation for from such a short period of the elimination of what is at worst a nusiance.

You assume that zombies are more likely to reregister following a purge, which seems odd to me. If they're truly zombies, they won't reregister at all. To me, it's not about a quiet period, but about clearing the books. If we assume a constant registration rate, we can cut down the zombies for quite a while before they become anything resembling a hassle. If the rate of zombie registration increases, that's more likely a problem of secondary accounts than anything, and a mod or two could weed those out.

What zombie problem?

In general, I get the sense that there are a lot of voters who literally only post in the voting booth in Atlasia, and don't really participate in the game.

This is an issue, however, where you may believe that some of my inexperience is revealed, but you can ask Sirnick, Dereich, or Lumine for more clarification, as we all agreed on the solution.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2013, 07:00:25 PM »

If the zombies have a master, the master will have them re-register. If not then they are merely inactives who will fall off when they have missed three elections. The most annoying group of them is the former and this will have no impact on getting rid of them.

It seems rather pointless if you ask me.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2013, 07:06:20 PM »

How would we manage this mass re-registering though? Wouldn't we be out a SoFE if we did it that way?
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2013, 07:30:37 PM »

How would we manage this mass re-registering though? Wouldn't we be out a SoFE if we did it that way?

You can write it in the legislation that "X" position does not have to resign. Or it only affects unelected officials...whatever you want.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2013, 07:46:35 PM »

Why not a pre-registration period?

In general, I get the sense that there are a lot of voters who literally only post in the voting booth in Atlasia, and don't really participate in the game.

This is an issue, however, where you may believe that some of my inexperience is revealed, but you can ask Sirnick, Dereich, or Lumine for more clarification, as we all agreed on the solution.

The best way to fix that would be to alter the posting standards to maintain eligibility to X number of posts on the AFE/AFG boards, as opposed to the whole forum.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2013, 09:29:07 PM »

Why not a pre-registration period?

The best way to fix that would be to alter the posting standards to maintain eligibility to X number of posts on the AFE/AFG boards, as opposed to the whole forum.

A pre-registration period would be nice, so we wouldn't have to vacate offices unless a representative failed to swear in.

I wouldn't mind having posting requirements tied to AFE, but I do recognize that it's incredibly difficult to post on AFE without "being a part of the system."

A secondary idea: could we have an "Atlasia introduction" thread for people (like the one in Forum Community)? That way, noobs can jump into the community without having to necessarily be informed of the process.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2013, 10:59:11 PM »

There is an Atlasia Introduction Thread, Tyrion.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2013, 11:00:47 PM »

Yes, I meant for introducing people. Like the having people talk about themselves. I know the thread exists to introduce people to the game, but now I would like there to be a thread to introduce noobs to the people.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2013, 07:26:52 AM »

Yes, I meant for introducing people. Like the having people talk about themselves. I know the thread exists to introduce people to the game, but now I would like there to be a thread to introduce noobs to the people.

Its not a bad idea but its entirely irrelevant to this thread.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2013, 06:13:54 PM »

Its not a bad idea but its entirely irrelevant to this thread.

Well, yeah, that's why I said "as a secondary idea."
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2013, 09:25:20 PM »

You know, just because something bad happens to me for a short period of time, doesn't mean you people can go on vacation. Tongue
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2013, 09:41:36 PM »

Well, I think the obvious thing that needs done here is writing the actual amendment, which will be no easy task. Is there a general consensus behind the President's plan, or does anyone have an improvement to suggest?
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2013, 03:14:27 AM »
« Edited: September 17, 2013, 03:17:56 AM by Emperor Dereich »

Sorry, I've been meaning to respond to this but life has gotten in the way.

The other benefit of reregistration that we discussed is that it allows us to redraw the map without looking at current populations. Making all this effort to solve regional inactivity won't really matter if we create a monster Midwest-Pacific region that ends up just as inactive as the Pacific and Midwest are now. Even if the zombies DO come back, they might not all be focused in the same places, while active people would also have more incentive to spread out hopefully balancing out activity levels between the new regions.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2013, 10:42:13 PM »

A rough sketch of what I have thus far - introducing my amendments in chunks rather than all at once in hopes of sparking debate. Smiley

You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2013, 08:47:52 PM »

What vote? I assume you mean that the final plan must be approved by all the regions and the Senate, correct?

You might want to clarify what the vote is on.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2013, 01:36:58 AM »

Here is my initial proposal, lets see where we can find some compromise:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies