Harry for Governor Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:51:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Harry for Governor Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Harry for Governor Thread  (Read 1850 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 02, 2005, 06:23:13 PM »

--Speaking in Baton Rouge--
Alright, I stand here to begin my campaiging for the governor.  My opponent has already begun the attack, calling me "too liberal."  Last time I checked, I supported the current SE abortion laws being applied on a national levell THRICE while I was a Senator (the boss abortion acts).  I wasn't too liberal for PBrunsel--a president most of yall voted for--to make me Attorney General.
Now Ernest has been one great governor.  And I don't claim that I could be nearly as good as he is.  But I'll certainly give it my all.  Some of the initiatives I'll propose may include farm subsidies, arts subsidies, and increased education spending.  But just because you don't agree with these doesn't mean you should vote against me.  Remember, you can vote against these initiatives.  And I won't just propose an initiative that I like...if a group of yall get together and write an initiative, I'll put it up to a vote, even if I don't agree.  Because it's your region, I would just be the administrator.
So mark your ballot for Harry...a man who can truly represent everyone.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 06:24:06 PM »

oh god
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 06:24:56 PM »

So mark your ballot for Harry...a man who can truly represent everyone.

Or at least all your friends and avatar voters.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 07:04:03 PM »

When is the replacement election for Ernest and have any other candidates announced?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 07:06:59 PM »

When is the replacement election for Ernest

This Friday.

and have any other candidates announced?

StatesRights (now Zebulon Vance or whatever that name was) has also announced.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 08:59:06 PM »

--from Mobile--
The Southeastern Region does not have a lt. gov.  If I am elected, I will appoint one, and probably and centrist or a center-right.  In fact, if anyone wants to be my lt. gov. and wants to campaign with me as a ticket (not officially, but as a de facto ticket), PM or IM me and we can work something out.
Also, I'll appoint a lottery commissioner.
Vote Harry for SE Governor.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 09:15:52 PM »

Will you "instruct" the commissioner on how to select the people who operate the machines?

Remembers Harry's final day as SE Lottery commish.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 09:58:24 PM »

Mr. Attorney General,

Do you support the diverse views of the Dixie Union Caucus, including the initiatives to peacefully aquire Kentucky, Virginia, and Oklahoma as Southern states?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2005, 10:57:04 PM »

Mr. Attorney General,

Do you support the diverse views of the Dixie Union Caucus, including the initiatives to peacefully aquire Kentucky, Virginia, and Oklahoma as Southern states?
Well, such a plan wouldn't be constitutional by our current constitution, as region's sizes are limited to 10 states.  However, if a constitutional amendment (or the new consitution) allowed it, I would welcome those states, provided that the citizens of those states wanted to be part of the Southeastern Region.
George W. Bush
eversole_Adam

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2005, 11:19:17 PM »

What would you do to better the Public Education System?
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 03:56:55 PM »

I support ya Harry!!!
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2005, 09:56:29 PM »

Given no other options other than a rather nice, but mistaken, fellow who has called my Party a "joke", I suppose I'd have to approve you alone.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2005, 10:41:26 PM »

I notice your opponent would allow private institutions to discriminate based on race. Furthermore, while new to Fantasy Government, I cannot find any Constitutional element similar to the 14th amendment, meaning that states would be allowed to discriminate based on race. Are these two things concerns of yours and if so, what action(s) would  you take to move us out of the 60s (that's 1860s)?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2005, 11:21:24 PM »

I notice your opponent would allow private institutions to discriminate based on race. Furthermore, while new to Fantasy Government, I cannot find any Constitutional element similar to the 14th amendment, meaning that states would be allowed to discriminate based on race. Are these two things concerns of yours and if so, what action(s) would  you take to move us out of the 60s (that's 1860s)?
Now, let's be fair to the States Rights candidate.  He does not specifically support discrimination on the basis of race; rather, he says that employers should be able to do whatever the hell they want.  This may be unfair to people applying, but I hope everyone can see this logic.  I don't, personally, agree with it, but I doubt that this has its roots firm in the racist ideals of the 1860s.  That said, I would still like to see Harry's response.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2005, 11:32:52 PM »
« Edited: March 03, 2005, 11:39:10 PM by TCash101 »

I think I was entirely fair, and I think you've underestimated the claim. Here's my concern:
What is your stance on racial segregation in schools and public areas such as restaraunts and movie theaters?

I strongly believe in equality for all individuals. I also believe in a businesses right to serve who they want when they want. This is really an issue that should be left up to the states. I do not believe in any form of segregation.

It's not just about hiring practices, but serving customers of race. I believe Zebulon Vance when he says he does not believe in segregation, but I'm not interested in his personal views, but his philosophy of governing. The statement above does not contradict my statement that he would allow discrimination based on race by private institutions.

And I didn't say Vance was in the 1860s, but the fact that there is no, as far as I can tell, Constitutional element that forbids discrimination based on race by state governments. The legal framework is a throwback to the 1860s. I said "these two things,"; I had a two part question.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2005, 12:47:25 AM »

The idea that I want any business to segregate is nonsense.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2005, 08:00:11 AM »

I'd hold an initiative over whether raicial discrimination should be allowed, and let the people decide.  I personally would vote to make it illegal.  I'll also push for a 14th-amendment-like amendment to be passed on a regional or federal level.
And I don't believe that Statesrights supports segregation, btw.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2005, 05:56:17 PM »

I'd hold an initiative over whether raicial discrimination should be allowed, and let the people decide.  I personally would vote to make it illegal.  I'll also push for a 14th-amendment-like amendment to be passed on a regional or federal level.
And I don't believe that Statesrights supports segregation, btw.
Seems fair to me.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies