Do you have local elections this year?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:23:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you have local elections this year?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do you have local elections this year?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Do you have local elections this year?  (Read 1056 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 10, 2013, 11:41:05 PM »

Yes. They're quite boring though.

The Minneapolis mayor election is a bunch of bland, boring and mostly indistinguishable candidates running against each other on a bunch of platitude film platforms like "safer neighborhoods!" and "supporting small businesses!" It had potential to be interesting when the DFL city convention hung and no one got an endorsement, but no one running is interesting enough to make it so. I'm just glad my least favorite candidate dropped out. I have an idea who I'm voting for, but I'm quite unenthusiastic and won't be volunteering for any campaign.

My City Council election is a bit more interesting, the incumbent, a bitchy old woman who's rude to her constituents and doesn't care about input at all lost the DFL endorsement and likely will lose the election to an attractive young woman who is willing to go door knocking in 95 degree heat while 6 months pregnant (as when I met her.) It probably won't be close though, the incumbent is demographically wrong for the neighborhood (lots of youngs, and someone who's 34 was that age not too long ago and can speak to us unlike someone in her 60s), already lost the DFL endorsement (as an incumbent at that) and is getting trashed by the local media and alternative papers. I've seen like two signs for her total, while her challenger has signs all over the place.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 11:52:41 PM »

In SLC, just a couple of city council districts up for election.

Various mayorships around Salt Lake County are up for reelection too, but that's all.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 11:52:41 PM »

Yep. Charlotte's are right around the corner.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 11:54:23 PM »

Yes. Lots of Southern municipalities do, as a way to take advantage of low turnout and keep those urban clusters in check/under control of the white man.

* Not intended to be a completely factual statement
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 12:02:48 AM »

I've seen signs for "family court judge" elections around. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 12:06:37 AM »

Yeah, we've got city council elections and a few other snoozers that I can't recall right now.  Nothing important or newsworthy, that's for sure.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 10:20:51 AM »

Yes, though back in May. Kent county council, and my district is now UKIP country.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 10:21:57 AM »

I voted no in reference to Springfield Township, but right after I clicked the "Submit Vote" button, I remember the Detroit mayoral race. So yes and no.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 12:50:26 PM »

Back in April for city, township, school district, and other units of local government.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 11:07:20 AM »

Yep. Fairly Safe D though, so not too exciting.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 11:26:31 AM »

Unfortunately.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 11:28:37 AM »

Yes, we had state elections in May already.

The Social Democratic-led government was voted out and a Conservative-Green-Stronach government replaced it.

And federal elections will be held on September 29.

Mayoral elections next March.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 11:52:34 AM »

A fairly competitive mayor's race in Tulsa.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 12:25:18 PM »

Yes, a nonpartisan mayoral race. It'll be my first chance to vote since I moved.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 01:36:15 PM »

A mayoral recall in October.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 03:07:59 PM »

Indeed, a nonpartisan mayoral race. State parties and some statewide and national PACs are getting involved though. I am interning with one of the candidates. Also, 4 City Council races hold the potential to make the Council 3/8 LGBT (up from current 1/8).
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 03:16:23 PM »

We have our local elections in spring, so yes, we already had ours.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 07:02:01 PM »

Yeah.

In 2010, our mayor shot himself at his parents' home. My grandfather's State House Campaign Manager ran for and won the mayoral election here the other year. But he's been stifled by an angry City Council who didn't want him to win. So he's decided to retire from being Mayor and run for City Council. But my cousin is also running for the same spot here. So my family's in kind of a bind on who they're supporting. Family friend and key to political success or family?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 07:36:31 PM »

Next year.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 09:32:03 PM »

Yes - District Attorney, City Controller, judicial and precinct election board races. This local election cycle is always the lowest turnout election. The overall citywide turnout during the primary was 8%.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 09:48:18 PM »

We already had ours. I worked on a campaign for mayor of a nearby city that managed by a friend who I met in the 2012 cycle. Our guy won 52%-48%.

My city elected a corrupt former mayor who served from 1990-1994, 1998-2010. He retired in 2010, but was replaced by a Mayor who Governor Scott had to remove from office because he abused his step-daughter and tried to cover up the police report. Well, it turns out that was a lie made up by the Community Development Agency's head; he was apparently sleeping with her. And it also turns out that he lied in court anyway, so even when he was cleared of one charge he soon faced another. The city council elected a preacher from the black neighborhood near my house who is an on again/off again city council member. So he resigned his seat. Then suddenly, another member of the city council resigned after it was revealed that she was being blackmailed by this old Jewish guy who was on the city council thirty years ago and fancies himself a “political boss” for sleeping with her illegal immigrant first cousin. If that wasn’t enough, she called the demands from other members of the city council for her to resign “improper” and demanded their resignations in return. Finally, a third member took bribes from some crooked tow-truck driving company owner, and had to resign. So our city council couldn’t even make a quorum for three months. It was pathetic. Sorry for the huge block of text.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 10:39:06 PM »

We already had ours. I worked on a campaign for mayor of a nearby city that managed by a friend who I met in the 2012 cycle. Our guy won 52%-48%.

[South Florida politics are South Florida politics]

Could've just done that.
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 11:48:00 PM »

Back in May. Village and county councils.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 12:29:49 AM »

Quebec has municipal elections this November (two days before New York elections).

It's a mess in my city. Non-partisan elections, the incumbent mayor retires, five persons (to date) are running for mayor, including the brother of the incumbent (but who is disliked by him (great family!), falsely pretend to be an engineer and used dubious methods of getting his signatures), a former provincial cabinet minister (former dentist), the president of the local Chamber of Commerce (and an engineer), a former soldier in Bosnia with anti-Native speech (and vaguely related to me, even if I never met him of my life)) and an anglophone engineer struggling to talk French and saying than the city should be managed like an engineering firm.

So, I don't like any and I'm currently having an overdose of engineers.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2013, 12:43:42 AM »

Yes we do in November, elections in my small city are non partisan there are 4 seats up every 2 years in odd years (2013, 2015) there are 7 seats total the top 3 candidates get a 4 year term and the 4th place gets a 2 year term and has to run with the other 3 in 2 years. I know nothing about the candidates and you don't really hear much. Our mayor is just a figurehead the city day to day operations are ran by a city manager hired by the commission. I don't know if I will even vote since I really can't find out too much about the candidates.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies