Opinion of people who fat-shame
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:31:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of people who fat-shame
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
FFs

HPs

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Opinion of people who fat-shame  (Read 2566 times)
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2013, 12:20:46 PM »
« edited: September 14, 2013, 12:31:01 PM by Redalgo »

Fat-shaming seems likely to inflict harm, which in my opinion makes it appear obviously HP'esque.

Folks do a lot of unhealthy things for a lot of reasons. They are also not in total control over what they do and how it affects their bodies at the individual level. If one wants others to make better decisions they should instead choose to inspire them with care and tact while promoting environs conducive to positive changes and developments.

Shaming is also not in keeping with egalitarian, solidaristic, or even individualistic values. I am concerned it implies fat people are inferior, perceived as having interests in conflict with those of others deemed to be of healthy weights, and are becoming subjected to excessive pressures to use their rights and freedoms in accordance to what the community prefers. This matter reveals subtle differences in shades of authoritarianism among self-described adherents to liberal values or ideologies - authoritarianism in how they interact with people.

I would not go so far as to describe shamers as HP though. An individual act of vice does not a vicious person make. Please apply your good intentions in a wiser and less destructive way. Unsure
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies