is it possible that both parties become left wing over time
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:43:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  is it possible that both parties become left wing over time
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: is it possible that both parties become left wing over time  (Read 2261 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 12, 2013, 07:38:58 AM »

one of my theories is that the dems will turn more into the Al Sharpton party which will cause a lot of white liberal defections to the GOP. So the dems then become a patronage-ridden race hustling party while the republicans become the white liberal party. You already see this type of stuff happening in New York to some extent.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 07:44:27 AM »

one of my theories is that the dems will turn more into the Al Sharpton party which will cause a lot of white liberal defections to the GOP. So the dems then become a patronage-ridden race hustling party while the republicans become the white liberal party. You already see this type of stuff happening in New York to some extent.

I think perhaps you're stuck in 1968.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 07:45:45 AM »

It's conceivable that as white social conservatives die off, the socons will become increasingly brown. Eventually you'd get a libertarianish GOP and a paternalistic Democratic party.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 08:09:20 AM »

It's conceivable that as white social conservatives die off, the socons will become increasingly brown. Eventually you'd get a libertarianish GOP and a paternalistic Democratic party.
In this scenario, I could be a Republican in 20 years. But I doubt this. Trying to predict the future makes you ask "what would I would be in 1928". A lot of people say they would be the same, but I doubt it.
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 09:49:05 AM »

In this scenario, I could be a Republican in 20 years. But I doubt this. Trying to predict the future makes you ask "what would I would be in 1928". A lot of people say they would be the same, but I doubt it.

I agree with DC Al. GOP scare ads would be like, "Do you want a Muslim teacher teaching YOUR child that the only safe sex is no sex?" You'd have a socially liberal/fiscally conservative GOP that is mostly white and Asian, and a socially conservative/fiscally liberal Democratic Party that is mostly black and Hispanic.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 11:30:52 AM »

I agree with DC Al. GOP scare ads would be like, "Do you want a Muslim teacher teaching YOUR child that the only safe sex is no sex?" You'd have a socially liberal/fiscally conservative GOP that is mostly white and Asian, and a socially conservative/fiscally liberal Democratic Party that is mostly black and Hispanic.

What would a National Map look like if this is the case by 2050?

Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 12:35:02 PM »

Considering both major parties became right-wing by the mid-'90s, it's only fair.
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 12:42:46 PM »

What would a National Map look like if this is the case by 2050?

Something like that, with the light shades being leaners/likelies and the dark shades being pretty safe. The prediction was tough because it would be such a huge shift from what we know now. States like WV and KY are very socially conservative but poor and pretty fiscally liberal, so those would probably go Democratic usually, and the race piece wouldn't matter as much because most white racists will have died out. We might see some unification between the few white racists who are left and religious blacks/Hispanics in the interest of pursuing social conservatism and economic populism. On the flipside, states that are very socially liberal, mainly non-racist whites, and fiscally moderate, like most of New England, would easily fit into the new Republican coalition. Some states though were harder to predict, mainly states that are right now very socially and fiscally liberal, like California, and states that are right now very socially and fiscally conservative, like Nebraska. Those states would be competitive, but I'd guess they'd stay with their current parties since people usually prioritize economic issues and both parties would moderate out a little on both social and fiscal issues. There would be a lot more swing states, more of the map would be in play. Candidate strength would probably start to matter more than party allegiance to voters and states, and you could see some pretty big swings in elections; there might be less polarization.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 02:21:12 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2013, 02:24:13 PM by OC »

The Dems have become the union liberals who rather see capital gains tax cuts to people who is not minimum skilled but the govt unions with IRA accounts making alot of money. GOP work for wealthy oil riggers who work out at sea or plumbers who are sort of unionized workers themselves but refuse to make them pay their fair share of taxes. Yes both parties are becoming similar but minimum skilled workers, not unions are being left out.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 02:30:06 PM »

This thread is in some sort of twilight zone.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 05:27:02 PM »

Reading this makes me hemorrhage brain cells. 
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 05:28:32 PM »

No, the Republicans have succeeded in turning nearly everyone in America into a capitalist or pro-capitalist in the last 65 or so years.  The trend is unfortunately the opposite. 
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 06:42:36 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2013, 06:48:00 PM by Indeed »

No, the Republicans have succeeded in turning nearly everyone in America into a capitalist or pro-capitalist in the last 65 or so years.  The trend is unfortunately the opposite.  

It is quite possible that by 2050, the Democrats could be some libertarian party (where the only differences are social issues) and the Republicans might be openly feudalistic (policies that literally create a strict class system with the clergy being at least a defacto social/political function without the belief in monarchy).  This would be in line of where the proto-parties were in the 19th century where the Dems were the party of "get the Government of the little guy's back" and the Feds/Whigs were the party of "get people's asses in line so we don't all starve".
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 07:21:36 PM »

No, the Republicans have succeeded in turning nearly everyone in America into a capitalist or pro-capitalist in the last 65 or so years.  The trend is unfortunately the opposite.  

It is quite possible that by 2050, the Democrats could be some libertarian party (where the only differences are social issues) and the Republicans might be openly feudalistic (policies that literally create a strict class system with the clergy being at least a defacto social/political function without the belief in monarchy).  This would be in line of where the proto-parties were in the 19th century where the Dems were the party of "get the Government of the little guy's back" and the Feds/Whigs were the party of "get people's asses in line so we don't all starve".

They've done it for all intents and purposes.  2012 was actually a step away from it through.  The long term trend, however, is troubling.  Name me one major Democrat who HASN'T dumped endless praise on the capitalist system on the national stage. 

When I hear a Democrat who is running a national campaign come out and say that the system has failed us and we have to start looking at alternatives... THEN I'll say we've turned a corner. 
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 10:32:18 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2013, 10:34:18 PM by Scott »

Sharpton has barely any influence over anything.  He hosts a show on MSNBC.  That's pretty much it.

Al Sharpton Party?  No.  Elizabeth Warren Party?  Maybe.
TarHeelDem
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 11:57:24 PM »

The Republicans could die off and be replaced by socially moderate-to-liberal Libertarians, but there will always be a fiscally conservative party in the equation.
hopper
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 12:55:46 AM »

The Republicans will have to moderate their stance on gay relationships(endorsing civil unions) and will have to endorse medical marijuana in the near future for their party platform. The Dems are in a cat bird seat for now.
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2013, 10:14:38 PM »

Only if you are one of those people who insist that they can make absolute judgments about relative locations on a subjective scale..
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 12:17:29 PM »

The Republicans will have to moderate their stance on gay relationships(endorsing civil unions) and will have to endorse medical marijuana in the near future for their party platform. The Dems are in a cat bird seat for now.
The ship has sailed on Civil Unions. The debate in the 2016 and 2020 Republican primaries will be between those who want to continue to press for a federal ban on gay marriage and those who are still opposed to gay marriage but believe it should be left to the states.
hopper
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2013, 05:28:41 PM »

The ship has sailed on Civil Unions. The debate in the 2016 and 2020 Republican primaries will be between those who want to continue to press for a federal ban on gay marriage and those who are still opposed to gay marriage but believe it should be left to the states.
Well yeah true the issue of Gay Marriage has evolved a lot.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2013, 09:19:12 PM »

I'd like to see my party become more like the Democrats on the following issues.

gay marriage
death penalty
stem cell research
social security
Medicare
Medicaid
food stamps
environmental protection
energy conservation
oil drilling
marijuana (both parties seem against it for now)
gambling (both parties lean towards legalization)
affirmative action
immigration
contraceptives and birth control

Where else have I been on the left?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2013, 09:34:40 PM »

It'll be impossible to say because the definitions of left wing and right wing will change over time.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2013, 09:36:46 PM »

Both parties, of course, have become more right-wing over time (except the Democrats on a few issues like marriage equality-and even that has taken far too long). So the question seems rather silly.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies