Women in combat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:31:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Women in combat
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Should the military allow women to be in combat
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Women in combat  (Read 4944 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2005, 09:57:05 PM »

No one's children are being forced to go anywhere, so I don't see why the president's should be an exception.

You anti-war types need to wake up and get passed Vietnam: there is no draft.
THIS anti war type already served in the military  how about you skippy?

That anti-war type also can't make a point very well. What in all of hell is that supposed to have to do with complaining that someone's children aren't going to war because they command a VOLUNTEER army?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2005, 10:09:18 PM »

Combat as I understand it requires the carrying of a lot of heavy equipment.  I have heard stories about how some women have needed help from men in carrying this equipment.  This can only compromise battle-readiness.

Communist guerilla girls have no problems doing so.

Did one of them whisper that to you during pillow talk?

how's that relevant? Yeah, I want to screw them, what's that have to do with this? It's a well known fact women guerillas in communist insurgencies have been quite effective. I think this negates any arguments against women in combat.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2005, 10:50:44 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2005, 10:52:40 PM by dazzleman »

Combat as I understand it requires the carrying of a lot of heavy equipment.  I have heard stories about how some women have needed help from men in carrying this equipment.  This can only compromise battle-readiness.

Did one of them whisper that to you during pillow talk?

how's that relevant? Yeah, I want to screw them, what's that have to do with this? It's a well known fact women guerillas in communist insurgencies have been quite effective. I think this negates any arguments against women in combat.

Can't you even take a joke?  Have you no sense of humor, BRTD?

The answer I have is that guerilla insurgency is a very different form of warfare from what the US generally fights, and women may be better suited to it.

As I said earlier, I am ambivalent.  The most liberal position I can take is that a certain objective standard of physical strength must be set, and if women can meet it, they can fight in combat.  But it has to be on the same basis as men.  My gut feeling is that this will mean very few women will qualify for combat, and I'm fine with that.

I wish nobody had to ever serve in combat.  That's the real solution.

BTW, I think your fantasy about screwing a communist guerilla is crazy.  One of them is liable to cut your little head off as an act of political revenge.  Where would that leave you?  You wouldn't even be able to make up any new threads then. Smiley
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2005, 11:14:46 PM »

As I said earlier, I am ambivalent.  The most liberal position I can take is that a certain objective standard of physical strength must be set, and if women can meet it, they can fight in combat.  But it has to be on the same basis as men.  My gut feeling is that this will mean very few women will qualify for combat, and I'm fine with that.

Must be a pretty darn liberal position, considering that it's my position as well. Wink
TexasPatriot2024
TexasPatriot
Rookie

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2005, 11:18:19 PM »

Communist guerrilla women dont fight a conventional war like the American military, the dont carry packs. You cant be serious comparing the American system to Guerrial tactics, thats just ignorance, We wont fight that kind of war, so you point is way off base.
TexasPatriot2024
TexasPatriot
Rookie

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2005, 11:21:42 PM »

I am all for women serving in a fighting role in the military. as long as they pass the same EXACT tests men do. I watched a video showing the men vs. the women in the army in the PT tests. Men had to do 40 push ups in a set time while women only needed 22. Thats a small example that stuck out, but thats not going to cut it. If the women can pass all the test that the men do then heck yes, give them a gun and lets go but if not, i dont want our men to be dragging them around in the desert being hampered by a less capable woman.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2005, 11:25:47 PM »

Communist guerrilla women dont fight a conventional war like the American military, the dont carry packs. You cant be serious comparing the American system to Guerrial tactics, thats just ignorance, We wont fight that kind of war, so you point is way off base.

It might actually help us fighting like that in Iraq. Great armies are often slowed down by their own tactics.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2005, 11:29:29 PM »

Guerrilla warfare is not a defensive tactic.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2005, 11:34:42 PM »

BTW, I think your fantasy about screwing a communist guerilla is crazy.  One of them is liable to cut your little head off as an act of political revenge.  Where would that leave you?  You wouldn't even be able to make up any new threads then. Smiley

no, they wouldn't since I'm not a capitalist bourgeoisie pig. And btw the ones in Nepal are very nice to foreigners and tourists, in fact when they ask trekkers to lend them money and the trekkers do, they offer to pay them back. Plus all the reports I've read on rwor.org from people who have actually met them describe them as extremely friendly and nice people.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies