California set to raise minimum wage to $10
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:15:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  California set to raise minimum wage to $10
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: California set to raise minimum wage to $10  (Read 5320 times)
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2013, 08:33:39 PM »

$10 isn't very much money in CA, but it's a great way to scare away companies into moving to Texas. The same thing is going on at the federal level. I can't blame companies for going overseas. What we need to do is eliminate the corporate tax and place tariffs on goods from companies who move overseas. No corporate taxes will bring jobs back from overseas. All we're doing in places like CA is scaring them away. All they'll do is raise prices in order to get back to where they were and then we're right back to where we started.

Yeah, McDonald's is packing their bags as we speak.

What you just said was stupid. In fact stupid isn't a good enough word to describe your post. Anyone who understands business knows that the wage laws don't apply to McDonald's because they're in a league of their own. They're so successful that they could afford to pay higher wages. However, mom and pop stores who have a handful of workers will suffer and go out of business. Walmart and McDonald's will still be winners. Do you like monopolies? I don't and neither do a lot of other people. However, if you like monopolies so much, then perhaps a $10 an hour minimum wage is just what's needed. Why did you even make a joke about McDonald's. I'm sure with the intellect of this forum, most posters will be able to figure out there is no comparison between McDonald's and Uncle Bob's Diner. Oh wait I get it now. You probably set me up to tear you down so that you could provide a greater comeback. Man I fell for it didn't I? At least that's what I'm hoping.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2013, 08:35:05 PM »

"mom and pop stores" evade min wage and other labor laws, as a rule
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2013, 08:38:38 PM »

$10 isn't very much money in CA, but it's a great way to scare away companies into moving to Texas. The same thing is going on at the federal level. I can't blame companies for going overseas. What we need to do is eliminate the corporate tax and place tariffs on goods from companies who move overseas. No corporate taxes will bring jobs back from overseas. All we're doing in places like CA is scaring them away. All they'll do is raise prices in order to get back to where they were and then we're right back to where we started.

What you just said was stupid. In fact stupid isn't a good enough word to describe your post. Anyone who understands business knows that the wage laws don't apply to McDonald's because they're in a league of their own. They're so successful that they could afford to pay higher wages. However, mom and pop stores who have a handful of workers will suffer and go out of business. Walmart and McDonald's will still be winners. Do you like monopolies? I don't and neither do a lot of other people. However, if you like monopolies so much, then perhaps a $10 an hour minimum wage is just what's needed. Why did you even make a joke about McDonald's. I'm sure with the intellect of this forum, most posters will be able to figure out there is no comparison between McDonald's and Uncle Bob's Diner. Oh wait I get it now. You probably set me up to tear you down so that you could provide a greater comeback. Man I fell for it didn't I? At least that's what I'm hoping.

Most of those mom-and-pop stores don't seem to have a problem with it.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2013, 08:41:48 PM »

"mom and pop stores" evade min wage and other labor laws, as a rule

In a way they can if they include tips. However, legally they're not supposed to depending on the state. Regardless, it's stupid to compare McDonald's to any other food company. Nothing else needs to be said on the matter.
Link
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2013, 08:45:35 PM »

Lol.  True.  Kind of hard to serve a hamber, chicken, or pizza to someone from Texas.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2013, 08:46:50 PM »

Most of those mom-and-pop stores don't seem to have a problem with it.

No and I wouldn't either because I'd just raise my prices to get back to where I was. Do you actually think someone is going to publicly state they're against a raise in the minimum wage? Come on! Putting on a happy face is a great way to recruit new customers. Again, it's stupid to compare McDonald's to other places in the food industry. In fact when looking at success I'm trying to think of a company who can rival them. IBM has made quite a bit of money, but they're not in the same industry and neither is Microsoft. My point was that McDonald's can afford a higher minimum wage and most other places can't without raising their prices. One last thing is that anyone who has worked at McDonald's knows that 90% of them are privately owned. Therefore, in a way not even McDonald's would be able to afford it outside of their corporate stores which only exist in large cities. We may see private owners selling some of their McDonald's to make ends meet.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2013, 08:48:26 PM »

Lol.  True.  Kind of hard to serve a hamber, chicken, or pizza to someone from Texas.

So don't think either that McDonald's is in a league of their own? They are when it comes to the food industry. To suggest otherwise is uniquely wrong.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2013, 08:53:20 PM »

Barfbag, most small businesses pay more than minimum wage.  You didn't actually respond to me or the article, you're just spewing talking points and making baseless assumptions.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2013, 09:03:03 PM »

Barfbag, most small businesses pay more than minimum wage.  You didn't actually respond to me or the article, you're just spewing talking points and making baseless assumptions.

No I'm not. In fact you just made my point even more. If I already pay more than minimum wage, what would I care about it being increased? You didn't even respond to my response where I said that no one is going to publicly oppose an increase in minimum wage outside of a political debate on its effects of the economy.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2013, 09:16:45 PM »

No I'm not. In fact you just made my point even more. If I already pay more than minimum wage, what would I care about it being increased? You didn't even respond to my response where I said that no one is going to publicly oppose an increase in minimum wage outside of a political debate on its effects of the economy.

That's the whole point.  You wouldn't be impacted by a minimum wage increase if you're already paying more than that.  You can't say these small businesses would be hurt by an increase if they can already afford to pay more than the current minimum wage.  Plus, if these businesses were concerned about having to raise prices or layoff workers, they probably wouldn't be overwhelmingly in favor of the increase.

If your only real argument is "no one would publicly oppose a minimum wage increase," I feel fairly confident in my position.  You are basing that opinion on assumptions and not facts.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2013, 09:17:37 PM »

Why do people seriously respond to bbag?
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2013, 10:52:39 PM »

That's the whole point.  You wouldn't be impacted by a minimum wage increase if you're already paying more than that.  You can't say these small businesses would be hurt by an increase if they can already afford to pay more than the current minimum wage.  Plus, if these businesses were concerned about having to raise prices or layoff workers, they probably wouldn't be overwhelmingly in favor of the increase.

If your only real argument is "no one would publicly oppose a minimum wage increase," I feel fairly confident in my position.  You are basing that opinion on assumptions and not facts.

Again I'm not. All they have to do is raise prices and we're right back to where we started. We should have a minimum wage, but it's really a catch 22. We're damned if we do and we're damned if we don't.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2013, 11:09:19 PM »

It's a mystery.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2013, 11:16:41 PM »

Giving up? Do you even read what I have to say and try to look past my sarcasm or do you use it for political reasons? How people treat my ideas and thoughts is how I respond to them. I'm also realizing more and more that there is a bias on here from people like you against anything right of center.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2013, 12:37:35 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2013, 07:22:53 AM »

The only complaint I have here is that it won't take full effect for over two years from now. I'd prefer $9 be set six months from now and $10 in one year.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2013, 08:27:10 AM »

The only complaint I have here is that it won't take full effect for over two years from now. I'd prefer $9 be set six months from now and $10 in one year.

Yes, this is also very unfortunate.  In an ideal world the Federal minimum would be bumped up to around $12.25 before this even takes effects.  Even with my position of minimum wage being adjusted by a state's cost of living (higher in NJ than SC, for example), there's no place in the country where I can justify the wage being below $12. 
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2013, 10:33:32 AM »

In an ideal world the Federal minimum would be bumped up to around $12.25 before this even takes effects.

c'mon man, you can think of a world more ideal than that!
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2013, 01:08:23 PM »

In an ideal world the Federal minimum would be bumped up to around $12.25 before this even takes effects.

$20 minimum wage?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2013, 01:09:55 PM »

$20 minimum wage?

no such thing as wages!
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2013, 03:30:31 PM »

I could.  Let's consider this an ideal, realistic outcome. 
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2013, 04:56:34 PM »

ideal/realistic are antonyms in common usage.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2013, 05:01:26 PM »

ideal/realistic are antonyms in common usage.

Not here.  Of all realistic outcomes... isn't one the most ideal?  I'm not arguing vocab here.  Mine is spectacular and you can not take that away from me, sir.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2013, 07:06:05 PM »

Some of you aren't even being realistic. $20 an hour for a minimum wage would kill our economy because of the huge surge in prices that would necessarily follow. The prices of goods would necessarily skyrocket.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2013, 07:24:04 PM »

The federal minimum wage in 1968 was $10.74 an hour in today's dollars. Enough said.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies