Do you have any sympathy for Assad loyalists executed by Syrian rebels?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:23:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you have any sympathy for Assad loyalists executed by Syrian rebels?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do you have any sympathy for Assad loyalists executed by Syrian rebels?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Do you have any sympathy for Assad loyalists executed by Syrian rebels?  (Read 1712 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 13, 2013, 01:20:45 AM »

Of course not. I mean yes these prisoner killings without any real trials even are quite dubious (because we all know Assad NEVER does anything like that either), but the way some right wing and True Leftist sites try to rally sympathy for the victims is just absurd. It's like neo-Nazi groups throwing a fit over what Allied forces did at Dachau.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 02:01:30 AM »

Yes if they are legitimate POWs who laid down their arms or civilians.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 05:21:24 AM »

I feel sympathy for anyone who is murdered.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 06:26:33 AM »

More sympathy than for those who make blatantly ignorant threads pertaining to Syria.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 07:46:33 AM »

Of course not. I mean yes these prisoner killings without any real trials even are quite dubious (because we all know Assad NEVER does anything like that either), but the way some right wing and True Leftist sites try to rally sympathy for the victims is just absurd. It's like neo-Nazi groups throwing a fit over what Allied forces did at Dachau.

As opposed to how certain groups using the Assad massacres to rally sympathy for the rebels cause which we all know is good and holy Roll Eyes
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 09:14:19 AM »

Your thoughts on this show exactly what kind of Christian you are, BRTD......a faux one.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 09:30:58 AM »

You're above this, BRTD. Please think over what you're saying here. Whether you support or oppose intervention should not determine how you feel about the execution of POWs.

I said in the OP it's not OK (just as its not OK for US states to execute murderers.) However trying to drum sympathy for the victims is something completely different.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 10:33:57 AM »

No, he's not.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 11:15:27 AM »

Yes if they are legitimate POWs who laid down their arms or civilians.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 12:31:21 PM »

Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 02:29:25 PM »

Can you please for once try to a just a little bit of perspective? Not everything fits into a cozy black and white dichotomy of "good guys and bad guys".
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 03:13:03 PM »

As opposed to how certain groups using the Assad massacres to rally sympathy for the rebels cause which we all know is good and holy Roll Eyes

After reading what atrocities the "rebels" have committed it's obvious humanitarian assistance is not the reason for this intervention.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 03:15:04 PM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 03:17:52 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2013, 03:20:27 PM by Antonio V »

Yes, of course. Most of them are regular people who were dragged in a conflict where it has become impossible to avoid taking sides. Yes, they did (and will do) horrible things, but this can't be considered to be entirely their fault.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 03:28:52 PM »

Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 05:28:25 PM »

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 09:36:02 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2013, 09:40:22 PM by post-rock influenced post-emo indie rock »

Can you please for once try to a just a little bit of perspective? Not everything fits into a cozy black and white dichotomy of "good guys and bad guys".

Kind of like HIV patients, right?

You're above this, BRTD. Please think over what you're saying here. Whether you support or oppose intervention should not determine how you feel about the execution of POWs.

I said in the OP it's not OK (just as its not OK for US states to execute murderers.) However trying to drum sympathy for the victims is something completely different.

That doesn't make the way in which you're expressing the sentiment any less disgusting. Graphic videos like this are not in themselves an argument against intervention, but the behavior that they show is much worse than, as you so mildly put it, "dubious."

The comments to that video (which by the way I would hardly call graphic, you can't even see any real gunfire, just hear it) are a great example of what I'm referring to. Plenty of "why don't we bomb these guys instead, ra ra Assad" type garbage. Even though there's probably ten times as many killings of this style by Assad's forces. Legitimate human rights organizations (like Human Rights Watch) are doing a great job calling out such crimes by both sides, but the useful idiot left and teabaggers are basically forming a pro-Assad alliance and acting like the victims of these were such innocent people.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 10:03:50 PM »

Hell no.  I'm anti-death penalty, but that doesn't mean I feel any sympathy when I see a murderer, a torturer, or a serial rapist executed.  I have no more sympathy for them than I would if I saw Japanese soldiers in China and Korea at the end of the war being executed.  Yes, Assad's people are that bad.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2013, 12:11:57 AM »
« Edited: September 14, 2013, 12:15:21 AM by Sir Mortimer Chris, MP »

I do have a sympathy for those being murdered, regardless whether I support or oppose their side. I guess I'm just a bigger Christian than you, Zack.

Antonio made a very good point about the ordinary people being drown to the horrors of war. That's the real tragedy of war, but I guess when the "good guys" are committing crimes, that's fine for your single brain cell.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2013, 12:29:43 AM »

It strikes me as if Neo-Nazis tried to argue "OMG look at how all American soldiers were such evil barbarians!" by bringing up incidents they did to SS troops (and of course American and British troops were often quite brutal to captured SS, especially when they found exactly what they were doing and what those camps were for.)

What do you think of the idiots on DU saying we should bomb the rebels instead?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2013, 01:57:13 AM »

More sympathy than for those who make blatantly ignorant threads pertaining to Syria.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2013, 10:27:37 AM »

I do have a sympathy for those being murdered, regardless whether I support or oppose their side. I guess I'm just a bigger Christian than you, Zack.

Antonio made a very good point about the ordinary people being drown to the horrors of war. That's the real tragedy of war, but I guess when the "good guys" are committing crimes, that's fine for your single brain cell.

I'm starting to think that Gramps is right. The assumption that innocence should be a precondition for sympathy is among the most un-Christian attitudes I've ever encountered. Only a simpleton would equate sympathy for soldiers caught up in mass executions with support for the Assad regime or even opposition to intervention.

The problem is people are using it to literally drum up support for Assad. Not oppose intervention, but support Assad. I've seen people post about how we should bomb the rebels instead because they all are obviously soooo horrible, just look at these executions. Even on this forum seatown seems to actually support Assad. Just read the very comments in the video you linked to. It's not really a strawman argument.

Overall I agree with what Peter the Lefty said. It's possible for something to still be wrong and me see it as that way even if the victim is not sympathetic. Like him, I oppose the death penalty but that's not out of feeling sorry or sympathy for the murderers executed under it. I don't think that's the case with most death penalty opponents either, you can't say that most people who'd state in polls they are opposed to capital punishment do so out of personal sympathy for those executed. When the last murder that occurred in my neighborhood did (gang member shot up by a rival gang), you didn't hear any of the talk about how he was such a wonderful person with his life tragically cut short like is about victims of accidents or innocent victims of murders, but you also didn't see anyone saying it was right or that the perpetrator should just get off. If I was actually endorsing these killings yeah that'd be quite un-Christian, but I'm not saying that they are OK. But it's just the flip to take crimes against some literal Horrible People who've done plenty of terrible and disgusting things and use that as proof their side is in the right.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2013, 10:32:34 AM »

Why is it that even when BRTD asks a perfectly legitimate question, you guys unload on him almost as if he were a troll?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2013, 10:33:35 AM »

Why is it that even when BRTD asks a perfectly legitimate question, you guys unload on him almost as if he were a troll?

When a poll's results are 90%/10%, chances are the question wasn't that legitimate.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2013, 10:38:15 AM »

Also if you look at Kucinich's statements and actions, it's pretty clear that he is actually pro-Assad and not simply anti-intervention.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies