Re-elect The People's Ticket Duke and Matt (On Our Re-election)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:31:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Re-elect The People's Ticket Duke and Matt (On Our Re-election)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: Re-elect The People's Ticket Duke and Matt (On Our Re-election)  (Read 18606 times)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: October 14, 2013, 04:37:42 PM »

If your ticket wins, will you offer SOEA to someone who is conservative or pro-Israel?"
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #151 on: October 14, 2013, 04:42:39 PM »

Yes, could you elaborate on your position towards Israel. Do you support full military sanctions unless the Israelis stop building new settlements?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #152 on: October 14, 2013, 04:48:32 PM »

Yes, could you elaborate on your position towards Israel. Do you support full military sanctions unless the Israelis stop building new settlements?

No sanctions towards Israel. Recgonizing Israel as the due sovereigns over the West Bank, Golan Heights and the Gaza strip. They have a right to build those settlements. Its their land plain and simple.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #153 on: October 14, 2013, 05:39:01 PM »

No sanctions towards Israel. Recgonizing Israel as the due sovereigns over the West Bank, Golan Heights and the Gaza strip. They have a right to build those settlements. Its their land plain and simple.

Nobody asked you.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #154 on: October 14, 2013, 05:41:25 PM »

Nobody asked you.

I'm trying to ask the candidates a question of policy.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #155 on: October 14, 2013, 05:44:39 PM »

Nobody asked you.

Maybe you should have had a question in that post somewhere then.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #156 on: October 14, 2013, 05:45:38 PM »

Nobody asked you.

I think Sbane's question was directed at Duke, not you. Wink Smiley
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #157 on: October 14, 2013, 05:47:35 PM »

I was trying to ask the candidates their views towards Israel Tmth.

Nobody asked you.

I think Sbane's question was directed at Duke, not you. Wink Smiley
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #158 on: October 14, 2013, 06:34:21 PM »

Jesus, these are some difficult questions you all are asking me tonight. Tongue

If your ticket wins, will you offer SOEA to someone who is conservative or pro-Israel?"

I have made no decisions regarding my SoEA at the moment, but I will take everyone and everything into consideration when making that decision. I have been generally pro-Israel in the past.

This is such a difficult issue for me. On one hand, Israel is our biggest ally in the region, and I don't want to do anything to hurt our relationship with them because I don't see that as good for our foreign policy.

With all of that said, we need to keep eyes on the ground when it comes to their behavior. I want peace in that region first and foremost, as impossible a task as that seems, but I do. I support the amendment to allow the administration to continue to monitor what is going on and up it to full if necessary, because I do think that should be a last resort decision if Israel continues to build settlements as they are. I am not afraid to implement full sanctions IF it seems like it is necessary to do, but that is not my first choice by any means.

I understand this answer will only piss one side off and satisfy the other, but this isn't something we can really take lightly. This is Israel we are discussing - one of our strongest allies for years. We have to be mindful of that, but I, like anyone else, will work on peace in that region as best I can.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #159 on: October 14, 2013, 06:42:04 PM »

But that's Israel's land. Why shouldn't they build on their own land? The settlements are within their borders.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #160 on: October 14, 2013, 06:49:03 PM »

But that's Israel's land. Why shouldn't they build on their own land? The settlements are within their borders.

It merely comes down to whether you support a two state solution or not. I think it's really the only way to bring peace to the region. I am sure you disagree, so we will have to agree to disagree. I don't want Israel to be in a state of chaos forever and ever as they have been literally for their entire existence. I will assure you I will govern with Israel's best interests in mind, because I do view them as our strongest ally in the region. I will not use full military sanctions unless absolutely necessary, which is why I support the amendment on the floor to leave that decision up to the discretion of the administration.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #161 on: October 14, 2013, 06:52:22 PM »

dUKE what is you moneys plan
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #162 on: October 14, 2013, 07:02:58 PM »

It merely comes down to whether you support a two state solution or not. I think it's really the only way to bring peace to the region. I am sure you disagree, so we will have to agree to disagree. I don't want Israel to be in a state of chaos forever and ever as they have been literally for their entire existence. I will assure you I will govern with Israel's best interests in mind, because I do view them as our strongest ally in the region. I will not use full military sanctions unless absolutely necessary, which is why I support the amendment on the floor to leave that decision up to the discretion of the administration.

There is already a two state solution. It's called Jordan.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #163 on: October 15, 2013, 10:45:33 AM »
« Edited: October 15, 2013, 02:46:06 PM by Duke »

Okay, friends, so I have been thinking about regional reform recently. I have been a regionalist all my life, and I believe in the power of the regions, but there is no denying that they are all not healthy. I am still unsure as to whether this problem is chronic or something that will pass, but regardless, we need to be prepared for change to come to this game. We must always be prepared.

To achieve the goals that we all want to see achieved - activity and excitement, we must do it big. We need to be bold and not afraid to look at changes. To my Federalist friends, this is not a regionalist v. nonregionalist movement. Regions are still going to exist. They will simply, if this is successful, be better.

This debate must be a public one. Everyone must be involved whether we do reduce regions or do nothing. We cannot cover our ears and pretend that day to day gameplay is pretty poor and has been for quite a while, sans the short period where The People's Party existed. This is a rough draft, but it will get better as we discuss this.

Below a brief outline, and here is my full plan:

• 3 regions, where we will determine as a country how to draw the borders
  • reduce the senate from 10 to 6, all elected by the regions
  • The People's House, a new lower chamber with 8 members, all elected by an at-large vote
  • Implement activity requirements on Supreme Court justices, no lower court
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #164 on: October 15, 2013, 11:00:13 AM »

How does 3 regions and 8 regional members work?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #165 on: October 15, 2013, 11:04:45 AM »

How does 3 regions and 8 regional members work?

Like I said, this is a work in progress. I considered giving one extra seat to the larger region based on population but that could encourage strategic registration.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #166 on: October 15, 2013, 12:56:14 PM »

I commend The People's ticket for demonstrating such a serious and meaningful commitment to real reform.  I think this is a good blueprint though I do think population-based representation will lead to strategic registration.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #167 on: October 15, 2013, 12:58:42 PM »

Having a bicameral legislature would be interesting, I would love to possibly tinker with this in the Senate, but this looks like a very cool change.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #168 on: October 15, 2013, 01:04:05 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2013, 01:20:52 PM by Duke »

I commend The People's ticket for demonstrating such a serious and meaningful commitment to real reform.  I think this is a good blueprint though I do think population-based representation will lead to strategic registration.

Yeah, I was really struggling with the number of seats in the lower chamber. 3 regions makes it difficult to have an even number distributed throughout. I suppose we could make the senate larger and the lower chamber smaller, like 6 instead of 8, but I felt making the senate more difficult to enter versus the lower house would make sense.

I suppose a 12 person House and 6 person Senate could work, but I worry about creating the same problem as we have now with a less than competitive elections becoming the norm. If we are going to do this right, we do not want to over-create offices or we will accomplish nothing.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #169 on: October 15, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »

Having a bicameral legislature would be interesting, I would love to possibly tinker with this in the Senate, but this looks like a very cool change.

did you get this idea from my IDS bill that nobody decided to actually have the kindness to put it into the Regional Government board?

(here it is:)

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #170 on: October 15, 2013, 01:22:22 PM »

did you get this idea from my IDS bill that nobody decided to actually have the kindness to put it into the Regional Government board?

(here it is:)

No. I was thinking about how to change this game while I was running on Sunday afternoon. A lot of people are clamoring for a shake up, and I think some of what I proposed would accomplish just that, which leaving regions. You can call this the great compromise... Tongue
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #171 on: October 15, 2013, 02:15:23 PM »

Why not just flip the two around, Duke?

Six person Senate elected by the Regions (3x2=6) and an eight member House elected At-Large. That would make more sense since a House is more suited to the representation of the national popular interest and a Senate, historically as a less democratic and more institutional structure, would be naturally more suitable for a Senate structure. Especially since you named it "The People's House", it would make more sense to have it be the "popular" chamber, no?

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #172 on: October 15, 2013, 02:17:29 PM »

Why not just flip the two around, Duke?

Six person Senate elected by the Regions (3x2=6) and an eight member House elected At-Large. That would make more sense since a House is more suited to the representation of the national popular interest and a Senate, historically as a less democratic and more institutional structure, would be naturally more suitable for a Senate structure. Especially since you named it "The People's House", it would make more sense to have it be the "popular" chamber, no?

And this is why I proposed it now. If I am elected, I want this to be an open dialogue. I would be fine with something like that. My main concern is creating too many offices for too few applicants. I think 14 offices at the federal level is a solid number and we would have competitive elections that way.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #173 on: October 15, 2013, 02:52:48 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2013, 02:56:00 PM by Duke »

On Foreign Policy

Our ticket's general philosophy regarding foreign policy is as follows.

First, foreign aid. We believe in sharing money with other nations in order to foster trade and relationships with these countries. We are much less likely to get into conflict with someone we are trading/aid partners with than someone we ignore.

Second, military bases. In an effort to reign in the military budget, we need to explore closing bases in areas where they no longer serve any purpose but to waste funds we could use here at home. To accomplish this, we must allow the defense department to examine and determine without outside influence, which bases can  go and which are needed in today's world. Do we really need loads of bases in Germany? Last time I checked, Hitler was dead.

Third, drones. The use of drones has been a big controversy recently. This administration will continue to use drones for reconnaissance missions. We must. We will not, however, use them for military purposes without consent of the Senate unless absolutely necessary because things happen that occasionally are out of our control and must be dealt with quickly.

Fourth, our overall military philosophy. I am not opposed at using force when absolutely necessary to defend those who need defended or bring justice to those who have caused wrongs. But I am not afraid of diplomacy, and I will use my SoEA extensively when conflicts arise before we even discuss the use of force. Atlasia is a beacon of good in this world, and under a Duke administration, we will continue to lead, not by who has the biggest guns, but who can accomplish the most.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #174 on: October 15, 2013, 02:54:56 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2013, 06:00:41 PM by Duke »

Update on Regional Reduction Plan

In order to fix the numbers problem, I have proposed that The People's House be the at-large elected body, with 4 representatives elected per cycles. In addition, I think it would be proper to allow partisan leadership to take effect in it.

The Senate will consist of 6 members, 3 elected per cycle, all by the regions, and retain the non-partisan leadership style we are all accustomed to.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies