Re-elect The People's Ticket Duke and Matt (On Our Re-election) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:49:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Re-elect The People's Ticket Duke and Matt (On Our Re-election) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Re-elect The People's Ticket Duke and Matt (On Our Re-election)  (Read 18571 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: October 07, 2013, 02:01:26 PM »

Loathe as I am to speak against The People, I have to disagree with your harping on Nix's commendable veto of the atrociously bloated mental health bill. With that veto, Nix struck an important blow against the inaccessibility and obtusity of Atlasian legislation and I think it may well go down as the most important symbolic act of his Presidency.

Perhaps it would have been more commendable to state such concerns up front, that way four months of hard work and precious bandwidth wouldn't have been wasted and maybe we could have actually gotten something done for people with mental health problems. And not just Nix. Duke and I started with a blank slate and every Senator had a chance to object to each amendment as it came in sections. Concerned citizens were free to interject at any point, even you could have come in and said, "Hey, don't get too carried with the word 'comprehensive' in here". Our concern was quality and covering the bases, and in the absence of other stated concerns, we cannot read minds to come to know that they exist.

Or perhaps he could have utilized the rewrite process as a means to manipulate the bill back to the debate so we could have pared it down and then passed atleast something for people with mental health problems.

Perhaps the defintion of commendable has been changed and now is to take the path that ensures that nothing gets done and puts off key issues for several weeks/month. I have partials that I have been working on, and I am shocked, shocked I tell you to find that the interest in the piecemeal approach has not been forthcoming. In fact, I got more interest from people willing to help fix and pare down comprehensive bill, then in proceeding piecemeal.

I love Nix and he knows that, but the word commendable just doesn't apply to anyone in the course of this shameful episode.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 02:15:23 PM »

Why not just flip the two around, Duke?

Six person Senate elected by the Regions (3x2=6) and an eight member House elected At-Large. That would make more sense since a House is more suited to the representation of the national popular interest and a Senate, historically as a less democratic and more institutional structure, would be naturally more suitable for a Senate structure. Especially since you named it "The People's House", it would make more sense to have it be the "popular" chamber, no?

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 03:09:39 PM »

Well one thing is for sure, the Vice President not doing anything would never be an issue since he would likely be the one to keep track of what had passed both chambers.

As far the Senate is concerned, you could cut the number of slots down somewhat since there would be less members. Votes would be quicker and we could ram stuff through fewer slots faster.

If there has to be a partisan system, then doing in all popular ("people's") chamber makes the most sense, I guess.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 10:53:48 AM »

Damn, that reminds me, I wanted to spoof that banner in Polnut's signature as part of my campaign. You should post more man, that way I wouldn't have forgotten. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 05:34:37 PM »

Feels more like centuries man.

Here's to finally breaking the October curse, Duke! Wink
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 04:25:47 PM »

Removing the write off on executive pay is probably a far more effective way to approach the issues then some kind of cap like what is presently being debated.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 06:02:43 PM »

What is your problem with right to work? Mandated union membership is the criminal act here.

It isn't in Atlasia. We have the closed shop across the country, as per the Labor Rights Act of 2012.

Shops shouldn't be closed. Non-Union labor should be allowed to compete for those jobs.

k, but the law is the law and we have the closed shop in atlasia

And that will be a changing

Good luck with that! Maybe the 885th campaign you run for Senate will make that a reality. Tongue

It's more like my 7th or 8th try.

SPC made it in after eight times I think. Now that was a fun election. First vote I ever cast, albeit invalid. Wink
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies