Theists: Which of these opinions best represents your views on Hell?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:37:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Theists: Which of these opinions best represents your views on Hell?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ...
Hell is a real place where souls are tortured for all eternity.

Hell is a literal place, but it exists as a state of 'separation from God,' and not as a place of fire and brimstone.

Hell is merely a figurative place - it does not actually exist.

I take an agnostic view towards the existence of Hell.

Other

Not a theist

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Theists: Which of these opinions best represents your views on Hell?  (Read 2964 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2013, 03:43:00 PM »

There is no way of knowing. But Lucifer can be identified as an entity like Grim Reaper or Hades, death itself. And as we pass away, we will be in the spirit realm whether it is with God or not.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2013, 07:20:43 PM »

I'm not sure.  As an Adventist, my church generally teaches an annihilationist viewpoint but seems to take differing stands on whether the fire and brimstone is literal or figurative.  I've even heard some Adventist ministers state that hell is simply "the grave."  I can't agree with that, because if that were true, then everyone would go to hell, regardless of their faith.  I honestly don't take much of a firm stand on this subject.  The one thing I will say is that although the Bible does refer to the lost as being punished eternally, that doesn't necessarily mean eternal torment.  If they're annihilated, then the punishment is still eternal because it has eternal consequences. 

While we're on the subject, I'd like to mention that Adventists, of course, also teach mortalism and that people don't go directly to heaven or hell after death, but I personally take an agnostic view of what happens after death (or "the state of the dead," as many SDAs call it), in part because most of the passages that my church uses to justify this view don't necessarily fit that context.  Although this isn't an official doctrine, I've even heard some Adventists claim that Jesus died the second death.  Not only is there no evidence of that in the Bible, but there is plenty of evidence to the contrary.  In 1 Corinthians 15, Paul refers to Jesus' resurrection as making Him the "firstfruits" of all who have died, which would suggest that Jesus only experienced the first death.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2013, 08:23:50 PM »

I've even heard some Adventist ministers state that hell is simply "the grave."  I can't agree with that, because if that were true, then everyone would go to hell, regardless of their faith.

Keep in mind that this is one of the areas where the KJV does a poor job of translating.  All but one of the OT references to "Hell" in the KJV are actually to "Sheol" which indeed does refer to the grave.  The Septuagint translated the Hebrew Sheol to Hades (which is Greek mythology is merely the abode of the dead and not the abode of the wicked dead) and the term is also used for 10 of the 22 NT references to "Hell". (The NIV translates the OT Sheol to "realm of the dead" or other similar phrases, while leaving NT uses of Hades as Hades.)

Then there is Ge Hinom (in Greek Gehenna) which is used one time in the OT and and 11 in the NT. That refers to the garbage dump of Jerusalem where the garbage was burned up and is translated as Hell, the place where the wicked shall be destroyed in both body and soul, in its NT appearances by both the KJV and NIV. (The OT reference is treated as a literal reference to the garbage dump.)

Last but not least there is one use of Tartarus in 2 Peter 2:4 which both the KJV and NIV translate as Hell.  In Greek mythology, it was a portion of Hades where the wicked were punished.  In 2 Peter (as well as the non-canonical 1 Enoch) Tartarus is given as a place where fallen angels were bound.

So it's not the case that the Bible is literally saying everyone goes to Hell, but rather that a poor choice of how to translate Sheol in the Hebrew Testament makes it seem like that is the case in the KJV.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2013, 03:32:53 AM »

I'm straddling between 1 and 2, but I went with 1.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies